Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Further FSX and FSX:SE benchmark test

I agree with Bofajking, that it is amusing just how many examples his thread and my thread here have brought of words like;    

"I've not tried it yet, but I believe X, and I'm skeptical of everything else".

:smile:

All of the skeptics should have skeptically spent $5 and bought it - your views would then be credible because you'd have actually tried out the thing.

I just bought this on steam, it is $13 or close to it, not $5.

I'm downloading now and will benchmark to see for myself.

It was $5 as a limited introductory price. I bought it at $5, I mean, what the heck, why not, right? It appears like that gamble may have paid off, although we'll see. I'll be doing a full re-install of FSX soon. Perhaps I'll install SE first, load my addons in to it, and see whats what. 

Aamir Thacker

I'm still waiting for definite confirmation that VAS usage is significantly altered in this version. Or else, its a waste of money. 

But seriously, if I were you I would jump cockamany bat crap crazy into the air if positive changes were made towards the was usage in FSX:SE. I can see the OP's first post, yes, and its very promising, but I wish more of you could post examples using very heavy add ons such as PMDG, Active Sky, Aerosoft Megaports, ORBX scenery etc etc. 

VAS usage can actually drop in vanilla FSX as well, not much but a little, in certain scenarios. If I load up PMDG at a heavy airport and turn the head up and down and all the way to the sides I magically gain 200-250 MB VAS, and I know others who does as well. How? Beats me. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I'm still waiting for definite confirmation that VAS usage is significantly altered in this version. Or else, its a waste of money.

I agree with you 100% mate, moee addons need to be tested before everyone gets all excited about no ooms

It was $5 for 3 days on release.

Maybe the people that already have a tweaked FSX do not observe significant/any difference, but the people who haven't tweaked FSX get 'gobsmacked' ^_^ by FSX:SE.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation to me anyway!

However, to make sure everything was equal, and as I said in my reports, I used my FSX CFG for FSX-SE (renamed of course), as well as my SCENERY.CFG and SimObjects. Everything was the same in both FSX and FSX-SE except for the code itself.

No placebo, no vanilla install, nothing but direct comparison using my normal heaviest test -- full AI traffic at EGLL.

Pete

Pete, where can I read your reports? There are now so many threads concerning this issue on different forums that I can't find it, sorry!

Cheers,
Sascha

Pete, I understand that the FSX.CFG is the same in both versions, but my point was: what tweaks were present (or not) in your FSX.CFG file? 

Pretty much everything I could do to eek out flyable frame rates at airports like UK2000 or Aerosoft Heathrow with realistic traffic levels. Even then, the best I could get with UK2000 EGLL version 3 wasn't good enough, so I switched to the newer Aerosoft Mega EGLL. With that I get 15-30 with FSX-MS, but 25-40 with FSX-SE, and smoother.

UsePools=0? Yes

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15? Yes

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=?  Unlimited (0)

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=? Don't recall.

Or any other tweak that can substantially improve frame rates? All those I know about which might help at all.

I mean, if you 'super' tweak your MS-FSX then maybe FSX-SE cannot really offer better performance, but compared to the average vanilla MS-FSX setup it really brings serious performance increase..

No, I'm tweaking both the same. In fact, with FSX-SE I am moving some sliders up higher, including traffic!

I'm not switching over because I need some more things to work with it -- ASN primarily. But then I'll be very tempted!

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Maybe the people that already have a tweaked FSX do not observe significant/any difference, but the people who haven't tweaked FSX get 'gobsmacked' by FSX:SE.

The only way you can compare- tell if there is any difference is if you had or still use FSX-MS. " but the people who haven't tweaked FSX get 'gobsmacked' by FSX:SE". I'm tired to death of tweaking.......Just like many others FSX users  on this forum that have seen an improvement. I mean, how can you use FSX without first going through all the how- to tweak FSX guides on the net? OH wait, now you can,and it feels better and smoother.....I don't know what it is, but it just does.Thanks   

made a flight yesterday started fsx-se a CYUL (fly tampa )by mistake , changed to KSEA with orbx global , PNW ,rex 1024 textures, globsl mesh set to 1 m ,with aerosoft axe , with LOD 8.5 YEP 8.5 VAS Monitored with FSUIPC never went lower then .5 gd .4gb the flight was about 1 hour long and it actually climb to .9 gb , texture loading was burried some time ...try that with the other sim ....

fsx.cfg not tweak

Sevefx d10 fixer , dx10 enable with vc shadows

reely hope that p3d follows

Regarding the suggestion that those who are seeing performance increases, probably hadn't tweaked their original CFG  :

As per the original post, my FSX.CFG had the [bufferpools] Usepools=0 in there.   Is there any tweak more significant to frame rates than that?     I also had [HighMemFix] (as every FSX user should), and [AffinityMask].

I'd say those are a fair representative of a 'tweaked CFG'  ?

I also have those same tweaks in FSX:SE's CFG, so a fair comparison.

I disagree that "its a waste of money" (sic), if for no other reason than the fact that it is essentially a one pass installation, instead of a half-day nightmare of installing three DVD's worth of files, then having to install yet another DVD to update to Acceleration...

...then chase down all of the "tweaks and fixes" to make it maybe work.

Oh yes, in case no one has noticed, FSX:SE has already been silently updated twice since release.

Hi isn't it HighMemFix hard coded in FSX se ???

Yes it is.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sounds to me like going from FSX MS to FSX SE is like upgrading to the latest NVIDIA Drivers (my apologies to the AMD users); a benefit to some, a detriment to some and almost no change for others. In the end it boils down to what hardware, addons and flight scenarios you are running. At least the NVIDIA Drivers are free!

as for my fsx se, fps does not improve to much, but less blurry compare to FSX boxed, all terrain texture load quite fast than fsx box, and feel itl a little smoother too, now waiting  fix for nav/strobe light , not showing up for default 747, other plane is ok,

Muhamad Aliff

@ n4gix: How do the silent updates of FSX-SE happen - do you have to enable that somehow? How can I check to see that it did happen on my system? And do you know what the changes were?

I apologize for all the questions!

Thx,

Al