Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Further FSX and FSX:SE benchmark test

If you have OOM problems in regular FSX, it is. Look how hard we had to try to break it. 

Well, it works a little better then Standard FSX - but one can break it... yes. You'll have to wait till 64bit comes one day...

and as soon as one loads really complex aircraft (PMDG) - only then it will really show what its able to do

regards

FSX SE does run much more stable and faster than the old FSX boxed version.  I have both and can also confirm that.  The nice thing about Steam's digital distribution platform as well is that you can install FSX SE or completely reinstall it in literally 20 minutes or less with a fast internet connection.  I have Comcast Blast.  No more loading FSX disks and waiting forever for the install to complete.

No more loading FSX disks and waiting forever for the install to complete.

How long was it taking those 3 DVDs before to install?

How long was it taking those 3 DVDs before to install?

I have long since coverted my cd's to iso and backed up my CD Key. even then it takes about 25 minutes then the service packs need to be installed then the tweaks. so probably 45 mins total. I have a 300mbps connection so my install takes about 7 to 10 minutes with Steam.

I have long since coverted my cd's to iso and backed up my CD Key. even then it takes about 25 minutes then the service packs need to be installed then the tweaks. so probably 45 mins total. I have a 300mbps connection so my install takes about 7 to 10 minutes with Steam.

I dont have a connection that fast, so the main advantage for me would be that the setup could be completely unattended. I can imagine a world in which all of your FSX related Steam purchases could be installed and set up unattended with just a few clicks. The dreaded hours (or weekend!) long reinstall could become a thing of the past.

Steam could possibly automatically update your purchases and install those updates as well, also killing the tedious hunt for current patches for your products. I think the new Auto-update being worked on by Orbx is a deliberate step in that direction already; a functionality that the rest of the gaming world has taken for granted for years.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The dreaded hours (or weekend!) long reinstall could become a thing of the past.

It already is. It's called a system image backup!

It already is. It's called a system image backup!

Nope. My computer is the central server for the whole house, and has 6 HDs. My FSX and support programs (Like REX and various sceneries) are scattered across those huge drives, so for a number of reasons, system backup is also long and tedious.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

My computer is the central server for the whole house, and has 6 HDs. My FSX and support programs (Like REX and various sceneries) are scattered across those huge drives, so for a number of reasons, system backup is also long and tedious.

I bought a Synology NAS box a couple of years ago with 2 1Tb HDDs configured as RAID 1. All my computers (3 desktop, 1 laptop) are backed up to it. Sounds like you would benefit from a NAS box rather than using your FSX PC.

I have only installed FSX twice. 6 years ago on my previous PC and last year on my new one. I don't anticipate doing it again for a long time since my current system runs FSX:MS just fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I bought a Synology NAS box a couple of years ago with 2 1Tb HDDs configured as RAID 1. All my computers (3 desktop, 1 laptop) are backed up to it. Sounds like you would benefit from a NAS box rather than using your FSX PC.

I have only installed FSX twice. 6 years ago on my previous PC and last year on my new one. I don't anticipate doing it again for a long time since my current system runs FSX:MS just fine.

a NAS array for FSX sounds alot more expensive than my $5 FSX Steam investment.

LOL! True. But it is something for me to consider.   :smile:

Devons rig

If it was purely for FSX I would agree but I have other things on my 4 computers so it's a worthwhile investment.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I just installed FSX-SE today, what I found is interesting: leaving the framerate limiter to unlimited actually cause stutter.  Setting it at 30 gave a smooth flight.  I am just using the Trike for this.  Anyone else seeing this phenomenon?  I guess no more unlimited frame for me with FSX-SE.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020