Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

FYI Turbine Duke V2 release

Turbine V2 is great. Great job Rob and Shaun.

The only issue I get is a flickering mouse curser, I get this in the Realair B60 as well.

Anyone nay idea as to the cause?

The only thing I run in the background is ASN.

Hi Martin,

If you need support please email us. Meantime, have you tried comparing windowed mode to full screen? You shouldn't need to worry about that but it might give some clues about what's going on. 

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Fixed rear cabin lighting issue, Sean emiled me the proper effects file which appeared to be missing from the effects folder.  I suspect that when I ran the TDuke V1 UNinstaller after installing TDukeV2 that may have removed some effects.  I re-ran the V2 installer, and noted a few more effects files being added to the effects folders.

As for the Ignition switches being set to AUTO for C&D start, I tried cycling through the options but they are still set to AUTO instead of OFF.  This is a very minor thing as I simply set them to OFF as part of pre-flight check, however this is probably an easy fix for later.  Everything else working flawlessly.

I have to say I am still amazed at this aircraft's performance.  I flew from Stillwater, OK to Halifax NS, ~ 1600nm.  Altitude FL350 with nice tailwind, econ power set to ~86% Ng @ 1850RPM at FL350 showing ~145kias w cabin alt set at ~ FL145 using supplemental O2 averaging 280kts GS

Cheers

TJ

Service ceiling is 28,000, no?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Service ceiling is 28,000, no?

Correct.

Scott

I think the service ceiling, rather like the VNE of approx 200 knots, is quite cautious. The airframe can probably be quite comfortable at 220 knots - we start kicking in the airframe shake at 235 knots-ish, but at FL350 the pressure differential might compromise structural integrity, quite apart from a sudden decompression at FL350 being fairly terminal.  :wacko:

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Is there a plan to include full FSX:SE compatibility? What does not currently work with Steam Edition assuming I only have FSX:SE edition installed?

Yeah I make sure the pressure diff. is happy before exceeding FL280.  Pressurization is really the hindrance to the T-Duke or any other Turbine converted aircraft since the turbines really hit their stride up higher.  I figure the plane is only occupied by the pilot and perhaps one pax/copilot with the supplimental O2 with cabin alt ~ 14-15K.   I would also only do it if the trip favored a tailwind.  Since winds are typically stronger  the higher you go, the economical gains from the higher alts would be lost with the lower groundspeeds from stronger headwinds.

This is actually an interesting comparison between the Turbine Duke and Civil P-51.  The Turbine Duke is very economical at high alts provided there is no headwind.   The Mustang's economical alt is around FL190 with supercharger on low blower.  Both aircraft would achieve similar performance numbers if operating in ideal econ environments.

Just for ducks, here is the FAA Supp. O2 regulation.

Sec. 91.211 — Supplemental oxygen.

(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry—

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those altitudes; and

(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.

( B) Pressurized cabin aircraft. (1) No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry with a pressurized cabin—

(i) At flight altitudes above flight level 250 unless at least a 10-minute supply of supplemental oxygen, in addition to any oxygen required to satisfy paragraph (a) of this section, is available for each occupant of the aircraft for use in the event that a descent is necessitated by loss of cabin pressurization; and

(ii) At flight altitudes above flight level 350 unless one pilot at the controls of the airplane is wearing and using an oxygen mask that is secured and sealed and that either supplies oxygen at all times or automatically supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude of the airplane exceeds 14,000 feet (MSL), except that the one pilot need not wear and use an oxygen mask while at or below flight level 410 if there are two pilots at the controls and each pilot has a quick-donning type of oxygen mask that can be placed on the face with one hand from the ready position within 5 seconds, supplying oxygen and properly secured and sealed.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph ( B)(1)(ii) of this section, if for any reason at any time it is necessary for one pilot to leave the controls of the aircraft when operating at flight altitudes above flight level 350, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use an oxygen mask until the other pilot has returned to that crewmember's station.

Is there a plan to include full FSX:SE compatibility? What does not currently work with Steam Edition assuming I only have FSX:SE edition installed?

It's a bit complicated at the moment so please don't take this as gospel. If you ONLY have FSX-SE and then install an addon, it is likely that the registry values will be the same as FSX-MS.  But I can't guarantee that. The problem arises when you install into FSX-SE and also have an installed copy of FSX-MS. It's not really a question of compatibility. Almost all addons will be "compatible" because it is essentially the same sim. The problems arise because addons need to access correct registry entries for their extras like configs, payload apps, and other extras outside of the normal simobjects\airplanes folder.

It's a bit complicated at the moment so please don't take this as gospel. If you ONLY have FSX-SE and then install an addon, it is likely that the registry values will be the same as FSX-MS.  But I can't guarantee that. The problem arises when you install into FSX-SE and also have an installed copy of FSX-MS. It's not really a question of compatibility. Almost all addons will be "compatible" because it is essentially the same sim. The problems arise because addons need to access correct registry entries for their extras like configs, payload apps, and other extras outside of the normal simobjects\airplanes folder.

Thanks....I will try with FSX:SE and see what happens.  I can always go back to the box edition of FSX if there are complications.

I'm almost ready to buy this, but I have a question to Rob and Sean about the flight model.  One of the things that I loved about the Piston Duke V1 was its feel when flying by hand.  Then the Piston V2 came along, and I felt that the rudder seemed about 10 times as sensitive as it's predecessor, causing what would have been a very smooth, coordinated flight in the V1 to be one of slips and slides in the V2, as I would over and undercompensate all within the first centimeter of rudder travel outside the deadzone.  My controls are completely linear, as they should be for realism, just like I have for all airplanes, and I just find it impossible to believe that the real airplane's rudder is so touchy.  I tried to ignore it, but it was an issue that would dominate the impressions of every flight, and though I've never flown a Duke, something seems quite off about that.  To get around this, I lowered the Rudder_Effectivity in the aircraft.cfg to as low as .6.  That was partially effective, but I still never succeeded in getting it to feel smooth and believable like the V1 did.  Maybe I would have taken the rudder sensitivity lower still, but was operating on the understanding that the lower I took it, the more I was affecting other things that had been carefully balanced, such as standard rate turns, Vmc speeds, and whatever else, so I hate having to fiddle around like that.  For all the V2's many merits, when it comes to flying a simulation of a Duke and the feeling of hands-on flight, I much prefer the V1 over the V2.  My question then becomes, am I going to run into the exact same issue on the Turbine V2?

Altitude FL350 with nice tailwind

35000!  For myself, and for realism, I don't go any higher then 25000.. In RW, I would push the Tduke to FL320 to get over bad weather, but return to 250 ASAP. For reasons I don't know anything about, when the Duke is converted to T-prop, they have to reduce the redline to 200... but it's still a Duke, and 235 is the actual redline. Still, I keep it @ 200 anyway, Last week and most of this week, head winds in the east cost US have been ridiculous.. FL200 and up has 135 kt head winds! Commercial is burning some fuel to get you west! As we should all know, winds are west to east most of the time, and when you live on the right cost, most of the time you are flying into head winds. BUT, at least the return fligh is allot faster!

I started a "Where Is Your RealAir T-Duke V2 Now??" screen shot thread, so would love to see y'alls picks added to that.

After thought; At fl350, if you dumped the pressure to keep from blowing up your plane, you would soon hear bottles/cans of soda, beer, and water making a mess of your interior.

I noticed this line in the press release: "In the next few weeks they will also offer compatible installers for P3d and Steam's edition of FSX."

Does this still hold true for FSX:SE or are you comfortable that as long as we run FSX:SE only, there is no need for a Steam compatible installer?

35000!  For myself, and for realism, I don't go any higher then 25000.. In RW, I would push the Tduke to FL320 to get over bad weather, but return to 250 ASAP. For reasons I don't know anything about, when the Duke is converted to T-prop, they have to reduce the redline to 200... but it's still a Duke, and 235 is the actual redline. Still, I keep it @ 200 anyway, Last week and most of this week, head winds in the east cost US have been ridiculous.. FL200 and up has 135 kt head winds! Commercial is burning some fuel to get you west! As we should all know, winds are west to east most of the time, and when you live on the right cost, most of the time you are flying into head winds. BUT, at least the return fligh is allot faster!

I started a "Where Is Your RealAir T-Duke V2 Now??" screen shot thread, so would love to see y'alls picks added to that.

After thought; At fl350, if you dumped the pressure to keep from blowing up your plane, you would soon hear bottles/cans of soda, beer, and water making a mess of your interior.

at FL350, the cabin pressure is still around 14-15K for keeping the pressure diff. comfortably in the green.  Turbocharged unpressurized singles can easily cruise above that.  Matter of fact, folks at A2A have been asking Scott to provide supp. O2 for the C182 which he says he intends to do.  Hopefully they will do a T182 eventually too, but even the normally aspirated C182 can get up to those higher MEAs around the Rockies, requiring the supp. O2.  

No doubt the Legacy is also quite capable of cruising the higher MEAs in the Rockies/Southwest provided it is equipped with supp. O2.  

Cheers

TJ

I'm almost ready to buy this, but I have a question to Rob and Sean about the flight model.  One of the things that I loved about the Piston Duke V1 was its feel when flying by hand.  Then the Piston V2 came along, and I felt that the rudder seemed about 10 times as sensitive as it's predecessor, causing what would have been a very smooth, coordinated flight in the V1 to be one of slips and slides in the V2, as I would over and undercompensate all within the first centimeter of rudder travel outside the deadzone.  My controls are completely linear, as they should be for realism, just like I have for all airplanes, and I just find it impossible to believe that the real airplane's rudders are so touchy.  I tried to ignore it, but it was an issue that would dominate the impressions of every flight, and though I've never flown a Duke, something seems quite off about that.  To get around this, I lowered the Rudder_Effectivity in the aircraft.cfg to as low as .6.  That was partially effective, but I still never succeeded in getting it to feel smooth and believable like the V1 did.  Maybe I would have taken the rudder sensitivity lower still, but was operating on the understanding that the lower I took it, the more I was affecting other things that had been carefully balanced, such as standard rate turns, Vmc speeds, and whatever else, so I hate having to fiddle around like that.  For all the V2's many merits, when it comes to flying a simulation of a Duke and the feeling of hands-on flight, I much prefer the V1 over the V2.  My question then becomes, am I going to run into the exact same issue on the Turbine V2?

V2 T duke has more scope for rudder assisted turns. The ball drifts into the turns more. 10 times is an exaggeration. Control sensitivities in FSX are in fact not exponential or linear. They are based on time.  If you set less sensitivity then there is a longer time delay until you reach the commanded deflection.

If you have the slightest doubt, or you have misgivings, no one is forcing you.

I noticed this line in the press release: "In the next few weeks they will also offer compatible installers for P3d and Steam's edition of FSX."

Does this still hold true for FSX:SE or are you comfortable that as long as we run FSX:SE only, there is no need for a Steam compatible installer?

True but that's before we discovered the info about the registry settings. P3d first, then fixes for various things, then we'll look at FSX-SE. If you are savvy about the registry and other things there is probably no need, but not everyone is a geek!