Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

FYI Turbine Duke V2 release

Problems? With a RealAir plane?? Are you guys smoking something dodgy this week? :lol:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

One little issue I have noticed is that I have no cabin 'lighting' at night. When the cabin light switch is turned on, the cabin light texture is 'on' but there is no brighter cabin light effect. What texture or effect file controls the cabin light? The panel lighting works fine.

I am using DX10 with Steve's DX10 Fixer.

Cheers

TJ

I've noticed this occasionally in the piston Duke . A fresh install usually has it working but later it will stop working sometimes. I don't know why.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have all the dukes and the cabin light is worthless. You get a tiny lighting effect that lights nothing. I just turn on the instrument lights right away. Not a big deal just a minor bug.

Yeah it has nothing to do with night flying really, just more of an immersion thing, looking back into a lighted cabin at night is a nice sight.   I suppose since there are no passengers in the Duke it makes no difference lol.  I compared with the P-Duke, the cabin lighting working fine with that one, 

Speaking of passengers, question for Rob, what kind of FPS impact would having an animated passenger have on the Duke? (external view only of course)  I am sure you and Sean have already thought about that one and figured it wasn't worth it. lol,  For such a plane that is built to look 'cool' in, having a 'trophy wife' modeled in the copilots seat would put the Duke over the top.   :lol:   Without a passenger, a six seat airplane looks a little empty, granted the T-Duke's full fuel payload is nothing spectacular, still there is a room for full fuel, a couple of passengers and a few fanny packs lol.

Cheers

TJ

Yeah it has nothing to do with night flying really, just more of an immersion thing, looking back into a lighted cabin at night is a nice sight.   I suppose since there are no passengers in the Duke it makes no difference lol.  I compared with the P-Duke, the cabin lighting working fine with that one, 

Speaking of passengers, question for Rob, what kind of FPS impact would having an animated passenger have on the Duke? (external view only of course)  I am sure you and Sean have already thought about that one and figured it wasn't worth it. lol,  For such a plane that is built to look 'cool' in, having a 'trophy wife' modeled in the copilots seat would put the Duke over the top.   :lol:   Without a passenger, a six seat airplane looks a little empty, granted the T-Duke's full fuel payload is nothing spectacular, still there is a room for full fuel, a couple of passengers and a few fanny packs lol.

Cheers

TJ

Answering the above. The lighting is not a bug! It is a design choice by Sean. One reason behind it is not to spoil the atmosphere of what is in front - the panel, at night. This is inevitably a subjective thing. It is also very much influenced by levels of contrast and gamma on your monitor. Over the years we probably get nearly as many requests to stick with subtle lighting as we get to brighten things up.

If you look at some aircraft you'll see a problem where lighting is good at night but with FSX's very contrasting light conditions especially near dusk, panels can look completely washed out with sunlight plus added light. I think Sean's methodology is probably to avoid that kind of wash out, but he might pop in and say what he thinks later.

If one person could make a go at an animated internal pilot it would be Sean, but there is probably a very good reason why it hasn't happened, and you only need to look at some of the well-intentioned attempts in the past to see the problems it can kick up, including frame rate compromises and some people regarding it as really naff, while others thinking it's cool.I've yet to see a convincing one and I've seen many that are, not wishing to be tactless, awful! I think it is a low priority compared with everything else we try to achieve.

Best Wishes,

Rob

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Answering the above. The lighting is not a bug! It is a design choice by Sean. One reason behind it is not to spoil the atmosphere of what is in front - the panel, at night. This is inevitably a subjective thing. It is also very much influenced by levels of contrast and gamma on your monitor. Over the years we probably get nearly as many requests to stick with subtle lighting as we get to brighten things up.

If you look at some aircraft you'll see a problem where lighting is good at night but with FSX's very contrasting light conditions especially near dusk, panels can look completely washed out with sunlight plus added light. I think Sean's methodology is probably to avoid that kind of wash out, but he might pop in and say what he thinks later.

If one person could make a go at an animated internal pilot it would be Sean, but there is probably a very good reason why it hasn't happened, and you only need to look at some of the well-intentioned attempts in the past to see the problems it can kick up, including frame rate compromises and some people regarding it as really naff, while others thinking it's cool.I've yet to see a convincing one and I've seen many that are, not wishing to be tactless, awful! I think it is a low priority compared with everything else we try to achieve.

Best Wishes,

Rob

It's not a question of brightness.  I am familiar with and happy with the internal lighting changes made from PDukev1 to v2.  The main panel lighting works very well and is quite nice.  It seems the actual the aft cabin 'lighted' effect present in P-Dukev2, that seems to be missing from TDukev2.  I think the aft cabin lighting effect may either be missing or corrupted for TDukev2

Here are a couple of screenies taking at Dusk (battery and cabin light switch ON) so you can see the differnce.  It isn't a big deal at all, I was just curious what effect file or texture controlled this.

P-Dukev2 N1873K

ZEbe.th.jpg

T-Dukev2 N157JT
RjKGf.th.jpg

Re: passenger, I was referring to External views only passengers.  I agree that internal crew/passengers usually don't look very good due to the modeling limitations, but there have been some very nice pilot/passengers done for 'external' view only, including the RealAir pilot. I think the RealAir pilots have always looked very good and lifelike.

Cheers
TJ

It's not a question of brightness.  I am familiar with and happy with the internal lighting changes made from PDukev1 to v2.  The main panel lighting works very well and is quite nice.  It seems the actual the aft cabin 'lighted' effect present in P-Dukev2, that seems to be missing from TDukev2.  I think the aft cabin lighting effect may either be missing or corrupted for TDukev2

Here are a couple of screenies taking at Dusk (battery and cabin light switch ON) so you can see the differnce.  It isn't a big deal at all, I was just curious what effect file or texture controlled this.

Ah I see. You mean the REAR cabin lights, or lack of.  You can always drop Sean an email and make a case for that if you feel strongly about it. I think you can actually create an extra light if you wish, using standard FSX fx files and placements in the aircraft cfg. Our lights are mostly embedded in the model.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Ah I see. You mean the REAR cabin lights, or lack of.  You can always drop Sean an email and make a case for that if you feel strongly about it. I think you can actually create an extra light if you wish, using standard FSX fx files and placements in the aircraft cfg. Our lights are mostly embedded in the model.

Thanks Rob, I'll send a note to Sean about it.  I believe it worked when I first installed TDuke V2, then for some reason stopped working, I don't know if it was from applying Steve's DX10 fixer or not.  I haven't installed any aircraft addons, but I did reinstall some FTX scenery.  Again it works fine in PDukev2 tho.

VC pilot models get a huge thumbs down from me. I want a clear view in the cockpit on both sides without some naff (as Robert so aptly put it) pilot or copilot model getting in the way.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

VC pilot models get a huge thumbs down from me. I want a clear view in the cockpit on both sides without some naff (as Robert so aptly put it) pilot or copilot model getting in the way.

Well, most 'pax' are only viewable from the outside.  Would that affect frames?  Dunno.  Wouldn't hurt the view much.  While I get why the pushback, I'll also say FSX as a fairly lonely bizness and, sometimes, a friendly face, even from the outside, is welcome. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yeah, pilots/pax viewed from the external....outside views....do not affect your internal VC 'view'.  I was just thinking given RealAir's exceptional pilot figure modeling, that a passenger of similar quality in the copilot seat, would make the Duke not seem quite so lonely...again this is as viewed from the outside only.  However I imagine this is a pretty low priority.

Cheers

TJ

In The Name Of All The Gods, I Here By Grant You The Award Of Most Awesome Post.

If a dev includes them (read Carenado), there should be a way to turn the awful things off, like the yoke. I cant stand people/animation in the plane from any point of view.

Will it work in V2? I want the plane but don't feel like waiting a year for the p3d version

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Will it work in V2? I want the plane but don't feel like waiting a year for the p3d version

The plane itself will fly with P3D v2 but the config panel won't work. So you cannot setup the graphics options, the failure rate, the realism settings etc.