Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

FYI Turbine Duke V2 release

Just trolling, ignore him.

On a side note, for some more exciting flying in the next couple of days, head up to the west of Scotland and put on real world weather!

-Iain Watson-

Thanks so much for the kind words above. I can understand the frustration of those with clickspot issues. They have arisen as a result of our response to users who quite understandably want us to forge ahead with ever more sophisticated functions like custom effects, 3d lighting and other innovations. The cumulative effect of this progress is that on some systems FSX is operating on a knife edge which is easily pushed over the limit with so many processes all happening at the same time. Sometimes the most obscure things can trigger problems, or fix them. For example a few customers are convinced that disabling Windows "Internet time" fixed their clickspot errors. I hadn't even heard of "internet time". 

The fix for the B60 at the time was to disable 3d lights. It only occured to us recently that it was possible to reload the Duke with alternative lights without having to exit FSX, via the config panel. The T Duke V2 was a test bed for this and now we know it works we will as soon as possible offer the same solution for the B60. But P3d fans are also eager for P3d installers. There is only so much time to do all these things. We are working very hard to accomodate everyone. Thank you for your very kind comments which are truly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Rob and Sean

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

It's always amazed me what you guys have been able to accomplish as just a two-man team. Judging by the quality of your products, and speed at which you respond to support e-mails, it's easy to think there's 12 of you. But there isn't, and we've been lucky to receive what we have. Your products form the backbone of my GA/bush experience. And I know I am not alone in that sentiment. Thank you Rob and Sean for all the hard work over the years, and the constant advancements you guys have pushed forward even despite the hurdles and frustrations associated with the platform. The end result has always been magical, and I'm looking forward to many more years of that magic.   

Rob and Sean,

First of all, congratulations for this beautiful bird. Regarding the piston version, would it be possible to change the camera "landing force" to have the same as the turbine version has. The turbine version is really smoother. Thanks and best regards.

Real Deraps

Rob and Sean,

First of all, congratulations for this beautiful bird. Regarding the piston version, would it be possible to change the camera "landing force" to have the same as the turbine version has. The turbine version is really smoother. Thanks and best regards.

I can't promise. We'll have a look at it when we have time.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Any ETA on P3Dv2 release?

Cheers

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

I can't promise. We'll have a look at it when we have time.

Thank you Rob.

Real Deraps

If the P3D2 version released,whether it be a separate product,which must be bought separately?

Or FSX version buyers get it free?

If the P3D2 version released,whether it be a separate product,which must be bought separately?
Or FSX version buyers get it free?

The standalone P3d versions will be the same price as the FSX version. If you already purchased the FSX version of a given aircraft, we will make a reasonable charge for the extra P3d version to recover our costs. We won't be publishing dual installers because that is a waste of bandwidth if you only need one version.

Now the latter, IS a serious upgrade!  :lol:

From pixels, to Pratts!  B)

I keep looking at the one for sale and drooling...........

Only a few issues......no multi-engine or IFR rating, not enough $, and well, I think those are reason enough!  :P

Have to stick to the sim version. ^_^

The funny thing is, this aircraft has the 'wow' factor even in the sim environment. I cant imagine how it feels in the real world. Must just take your breath away.

Kudos to Sean and Rob for an outstanding presentation.

I think most will find the following B60 Royal Duke operational info useful. This is courtesy of an actual owner.

Les, for take-off power with the -35's, at least what I target is about 1150 lbs of torque, as 1200 is the limitation. (actually I think it 1230 for T/O) and prop rpm not to exceed 2200 on the -35's. Mine governs about 2180. The ITT limit is 760c, but I've not ever seen that being an issue for takeoff. I may pull the props back a little more if its cooler.

Cruise power is really a function of how much your willing to spend? Generally you'll need to start reducing torque to keep ITT in check when you get up above FL250. Depending on OAT I can usually have 1000 lbs of torque +- 50 lbs to keep the my fuel flow around 33-34 gph per side for 66-68 total. I've found 2000 prop rpm is a happy number. If it's warmer than standard you may be ITT limited in the climb above FL260 but rarely do I see that. At those fuel flows at FL270-280 I will see between 265-270 kts true, indicating about 170-175. If it's cool enough and want to push more fuel thru it, push the levers forward until you limit the torque at 1200 or ITT at 760. It's generally not a problem to make the RTD go over 280 kts true, you'll just be running the ITT near the limit and burning 75-80 gph.

In the descent initially (depending the rate of course, but lets say 1500 fpm is your target) I will reduce torque to about 850 lbs and then adjust from there depending on rate and amount of turb. I will also come back another 100 prop rpm, as you come down and increase indicated airspeed prop rpm tends to come up slightly and the reduction initially balances that.

As I descend into the approach phase, I'm looking for about 400 lbs of torque. This is a good target number for downwind and base. As you put approach flaps out this number works pretty well for me initially and gets me into a good final stabilization. Gear down at the marker and glide slope capture 400 is still working and as the airplane starts to speed up coming down the glide path a reduction to around 350 may be needed. This where I bring the props slowly up to full rpm. I don't put full flaps down until I have convinced myself I have the runway made and make small adjustments to maintain blue line to the threshold, and then ever so gently reduce
torque until the props start to go flat on you. If all goes well, between the propeller drag and the reduction in torque, along with a slight flare, stall horn will beep just as you put the mains on. pray.gif

...... to keep the my fuel flow around 33-34 gph per side for 66-68 total.

My word! ...... staggering how much juice these birds swallow!!!

68 gph.....   my buddy owns a Tecnam Eaglet and gets a lot better than 6.8 gph !!!!

If Jet fuel is $4/gallon, and you travel for 2 hours, that'd be $544 in the T-Duke, and $38.40 in my mates Tecnam (which averages 4.8gph).

If it's a return journey that's $1,088 in the T-Duke, and $76.80 in the Tec'   :o   :lol:

These T-Dukes really must be for the money no object crowd!

I know the paint kit is a little ways out still.  I went ahead and made a pair of simple re-registration paints from Sean's beautiful blue scheme. (including day/night panel reg numbers)  Here is ZK-RTD and N4269T.  I'll get them packed up and uploaded soon.

Cheers

TJ

K1Uc.th.jpg

HOdYU.th.jpg

dLKcs.th.jpg

vratW.th.jpg

EDIT...Submitted for upload to Avsim and SOH

My word! ...... staggering how much juice these birds swallow!!!

68 gph.....   my buddy owns a Tecnam Eaglet and gets a lot better than 6.8 gph !!!!

If Jet fuel is $4/gallon, and you travel for 2 hours, that'd be $544 in the T-Duke, and $38.40 in my mates Tecnam (which averages 4.8gph).

If it's a return journey that's $1,088 in the T-Duke, and $76.80 in the Tec'   :o   :lol:

These T-Dukes really must be for the money no object crowd!

The Turbine Duke, or even the piston Duke for that matter, are particularly infamous for their cost of ownership. The piston version is known for being a guzzler too, with a 56gph rate compared to the turbine's 66gph. With 20% more speed and 17% more hourly consumption, the numbers for the turbine start to look pretty good actually compared to the piston. And with the piston's 1400hr TBO time vs. the turbine's 3600hr TBO the turbine is cheaper when figuring in long term maintenance costs, and that's before you even think about in-flight reliability and the value associated with peace of mind. Yet neither of these planes are cheap because of an old and complex pressurization system requiring rare and expensive parts and a fancy low-weight magnesium tail famous for corroding early and falling off, and therefore needing preventative checks or replacement. In its day, the Duke catered to a posh crowd, but you'd be hard pressed to find an airplane in its price range now that could offer the same technology or performance for less on the used market. That said, the relatively low price of purchase can easily be surpassed by exotic maintenance bills. The turbine conversion makes these bills less frequent (the P&W PT-6 being one of the most dependable and proven turbines in the world) but it doesn't change the fact that the plane is out of production, and came with lots of bells and whistles that are nearly impossible to find parts for now. I'm not sure where I heard this before, but someone compared the Duke Turbine to a classic corvette that's been overhauled with a new engine. That's very much how I see the plane, and I think that makes it something very special for us as simmers to be able to enjoy.    

There's alot of information on Rocket Engineering's site, including estimated cost of ownership (that final figure is per hour) and comparison between the Duke, Royal Turbine, and TBM 700

Thanks so much for the kind words above. I can understand the frustration of those with clickspot issues. They have arisen as a result of our response to users who quite understandably want us to forge ahead with ever more sophisticated functions like custom effects, 3d lighting and other innovations. The cumulative effect of this progress is that on some systems FSX is operating on a knife edge which is easily pushed over the limit with so many processes all happening at the same time. Sometimes the most obscure things can trigger problems, or fix them. For example a few customers are convinced that disabling Windows "Internet time" fixed their clickspot errors. I hadn't even heard of "internet time". 

The fix for the B60 at the time was to disable 3d lights. It only occured to us recently that it was possible to reload the Duke with alternative lights without having to exit FSX, via the config panel. The T Duke V2 was a test bed for this and now we know it works we will as soon as possible offer the same solution for the B60. But P3d fans are also eager for P3d installers. There is only so much time to do all these things. We are working very hard to accomodate everyone. Thank you for your very kind comments which are truly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Rob and Sean

LOL - I hear your pain - I do the same thing all day every day.  Fixing software that is.  At any rate this one is a beauty.

Thanks

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png