Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

FYI Turbine Duke V2 release

Thanks Craig. No I haven't...I'll give it a try. I downloaded mine on Saturday, I think.

Nicely done video (and landing)!

Thanks

Is it considered a mental problem when I check the RealAir website every couple of hours hoping to see the P3D release?

Ryan

Is it considered a mental problem when I check the RealAir website every couple of hours hoping to see the P3D release?

Certainly hope not...I've been doing it too. :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I know I've already commented, but flying this plane is just pure pleasure.  It definitely requires more attention than the already excellent V1 did.  In terms of power management, in V1 torque was pretty much the limiting factor, with ITT almost never becoming an issue.  Now, on a relatively standard day, you absolutely need to keep an eye on all three of the critical turbine gauges as you climb.

BTW, for those who haven't looked yet, the manual really is excellent both in terms of information presented and in how that information is presented.  Put another way, pretty much everything you need is there in a very readable form.  It's won't take that long to go through and it's time well spent.  If nothing else, at least read the "Flying the Turbine Duke V2" section thoroughly before your first flight.

Scott

You are not alone, my friend.

Is there a tutorial, Scott? I could do with learning how to fly my planes properly, and the Turbine Duke sounds like a nice candidate for the job :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No, no tutorial, but the information that is presented is rock solid and very helpful.

I'm a real world pilot, but with no PIC time or experience in turbine aircraft - piston only.  When I first bought the Turbine Duke (and Carenado's JetProp) several years back turbine power management was a complete mystery to me.  RealAir's flying guide got me past all the rough spots.  Their docs are like their planes - among the very best out there.

Scott

Is there a tutorial, Scott? I could do with learning how to fly my planes properly, and the Turbine Duke sounds like a nice candidate for the job :smile:

It would be great to have a video tutorial from someone who actually knows how to fly it.  Probably as close as we'd get to a checkride.  The doc talks about 'climb power' and then just refers to VS.  So, without knowing what's the right power, I just pull back the power a tad, pull the prop back to 2000 and then push the power up close to the yellow and let it do its climb.

I know I've already commented, but flying this plane is just pure pleasure. It definitely requires more attention than the already excellent V1 did. In terms of power management, in V1 torque was pretty much the limiting factor, with ITT almost never becoming an issue. Now, on a relatively standard day, you absolutely need to keep an eye on all three of the critical turbine gauges as you climb.

It's been a long while since I'd given any serious flight time to the V1 and, yeah, I noticed this too.  Seems like Ng lags somewhat more than it used to?  And I can't just pull back the props to 2000 without pulling back the torque a bit first.  Seems that the power settings are a bit different now.  I used to cruise at low levels around 81 but I'm finding myself up toward 85 Ng now.  I think your original comment about it being more refined is on the mark.  A lot more refined.  Very easy to believe it's the real plane.

BTW, I hope I'm not getting spoiled by that GTN750.  I'm tinkering more than reading but when I loaded up the chart for the ILS 5L KRDU in it today I was pretty gobsmacked.  Only thing is, you have to use the popup to move it around with your 'finger' if you zoom in.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Zane Gard flew the real N157JT - I've not seen him on these forums for a while...  He had posted some good power settings - I'll see if I can find them on here or on my email conversations

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In the Turbine V2 we give you an option of reverting to default landing beams which definitely do not affect clickspots. So if you encounter problems you will have your clicks and landing beams. The option is instantly reloadable in the config and you can therefore switch back without any hassle while running FSX.

You know what, I'm just going to order it. I just came to the conclusion this week that the whole lighting system in FSX is completely messed up to being with.

It is strange however that you say "we give you an option of reverting to default landing beams", when the piston V2 would completely loose all landing lights with the fix. Is there something I'm missing here Rob?

I don't know who is doing the sound for RealAir, but he/she is a genius.

Sound is super important to me, to a point that I actually refuse to fly any plane that completely fails in that area and for which I can't find better third party sounds. Needless to say that I don't fly many Carenado planes...

I think by default he means default FSX landing lights (like the ones found on default Baron etc)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I wonder if the lost clickspots could be related to n4gix's post on fsdeveloper...

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsx-vc-mouse-clickspots-inop-solution.3177/

Zane Gard flew the real N157JT - I've not seen him on these forums for a while... He had posted some good power settings - I'll see if I can find them on here or on my email conversations

Thanks Ryan.  It'd be pretty flippin' amazing if he'd do a vid. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Almost :)

It is strange however that you say "we give you an option of reverting to default landing beams", when the piston V2 would completely loose all landing lights with the fix. Is there something I'm missing here Rob?

The fix for missing clickspots in the piston Duke was to offer an alternative compiled MDL file with the 3d lights that caused some users to have clickspot errors to be removed. With the T Duke, we offer an option which effectively installs mdl files which have embedded within them the standard FSX landing lights. In time we will also offer this option, as a patch, for the piston Duke, but for now people are demanding P3d installers so our priorities are: 1) P3d installers 2) A fix to enable alternative lights for the piston Duke.

Best Regards,

Rob - RealAir

It would be great to have a video tutorial from someone who actually knows how to fly it.  Probably as close as we'd get to a checkride.  The doc talks about 'climb power' and then just refers to VS.  So, without knowing what's the right power, I just pull back the power a tad, pull the prop back to 2000 and then push the power up close to the yellow and let it do its climb.

This is very close to what pilots actually do : improvise.  Because ambient temperature and take off altitude vary, even a full set of performance charts won't cover everything. So you have to deal with what the gauges are showing. It's really quite uncomplicated in a way. Example: If you are taking off from a hot, high airfield, you will anticipate that you cannot use full power because the ITT will exceed limits. Your climb rate will be less than the maximum 4000 per minute as a result.

Conversely, if you take off from near sea level and the ground temperature is 45 degrees farenheit, you will have no ITT worries but because the air is thicker and colder torque could easily exceed limits because the props are cutting through more dense air and therefore creating more torque for a given volume of air and power setting.

Reducing prop rpm for more comfort and less noise will also increase torque, so if you want an aggressive climb then leaving the props at fine will aid the climb without increasing torque. This is almost directly analogous to a car with manual gears. If you want to climb a hlll you change down a gear (lower torque but higher engine speed and higher hp output). When the hill flattens out you change up a gear (lower rpm and higher torque) so as to use the engine more efficiently.

Best climb is achieved when it is not too hot and not too cold, and you start from near sea level. In this scenario you'll easily achieve 4,000 feet per minute initial climb, ITT will not increase too much, and torque will gradually reduce enabling even more power to be applied.

While official performance charts (unfortunately copyrighted and unavailable for the T Duke) might be missed, it is a relatively easy task to simply monitor the gauges and react accordingly.

As the guide says, the golden rule is to keep ITT, torque and NG% (plus oil temp) within limits and there are endless combinations of all three. I think we all get too reliant on official charts but in fact just common sense and monitoring the gauges is perfectly ok.

Best Regards,

Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Maybe the pictures don't tell the whole story, but that is one fine looking airplane. The interior looks even cleaner than the Real Air example.  Maybe they did some work on it. 

Do the engines behave pretty much the same as in V1, or is it better?

They seem a bit tamer (quieter for sure) and I've been taking 1200 mile flights @ FL35 so performance is still good..  Textures are very good and overall the plane seems easier on the frames.  I did swap the GPS for the RealAir Lancair one because the screen is to bright for me.

Yes - taxiing is very nice and realistic now.

Just a squirt of AA!

pajn001.png

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

They seem a bit tamer (quieter for sure)

My initial impression was that they were quieter as well, but I've changed my mind on that a bit over time.  They're different.  The added prop sounds produce some deeper bass notes that weren't there before (louder definitely) while the turbine whine seems a bit less pronounced (so quieter).  Net, net - yep different and to my mind significantly better.

More importantly though, engine management is definitely different.  As I've noted in other posts, the relationship between, and limitations of, Torque, ITT and Ng seem to be improved so you need to monitor all three more carefully, and the startup sequence seems more realistic without the drastic over-speed we're used to in most FSX turbine starts.  But the plane still pins your ears back on takeoff, and still climbs like a rocketship so all the power we've loved in the past is still on tap.

Scott