Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

FYI Turbine Duke V2 release

Hi Rob,

I think what I am reading a lot of people want regarding a forum for RealAir, is not actually to expect support from yourself and Sean as the Development team, but rather for mutual hobbyist discussion, info sharing, and self helping eachother.    In other words, not particularly a 'support forum' for RealAir because as you've demonstrated, you do that efficiently and successfully by email, but instead a 'community forum' for those interested in your products.

I wouldn't see it as anything that should burdon or lean on yourself and Sean - noone wants that - but simply an AVSIM sub-section where multiple threads based around RealAir products could encourage and entice community participation.

As an example - the "unofficial Carenado forum" here on AVSIM has never ever (AFAIK) attracted the participation of the guys who run and develop for Carenado :smile: ... but it's neverthless - as a community led forum - a huge benefit to users of Carenado products.    You have people helping eachother, sharing customizations, discussing what they like / don't like about products.    It's a wealth of info about Carenado, despite Carenado themselves not having to have anything to do with it.

Cheers.

Oh sure, that's absolutely fine with us. Soon after our Legacy was released a few lovers of the Legacy got together and created a "Legacy owners club" forum here. They exchanged views, appreciation, criticism, etc for a few weeks. I think people then stopped posting and the forum died. Avsim is a good example of well-moderated forums where courtesy is appreciated and encouraged. I think if things remained courteous we would contribute so I'm not against it.

We don't have the output of Carenado or some other developers, so we wouldn't anticipate thousands of threads. As long as it doesn't turn into a substitute for email support I'm content.

Um...does the gear warn still work?  I just did a no power, full flaps, no gear approach to a snow covered cornfield in Canada and never got a light, or beep. 

In case you're curious...I did it on purpose...this time.  :)

The gear warning kicks in below 500 feet (I think). We altered it because we, and others, found it very annoying to be constantly reminded about the gear even though we were descending on idle at 25,000 feet!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

[...]

All this could be assumed to be an excuse as to why we will not be producing forthcoming projects with trendy gauges! My personal view is that however well done, the somewhat brashly multi-coloured gauges with endless functions and layer upon layer of information not only do not look very good in a simulator unless you permanently zoom in to them, but they are unproven as a contribution to safety. I realise this is a controversial view.

Some of my favourite addon aircraft are the simplest ones. I appreciate that accurate system modelling is attractive to some. There are to my mind more important things if such system modelling means compromises elsewhere. Now exiting stage left!

An excellent post, and I have to say that I fully agree. Certainly there are many simmers who are very focused on "systems" in general or avionics in particular, and who enjoy learning about these systems in-depth and operate them according to real-world standards. However, I am convinced that the majority of flight sim enthusiasts, who can only devote some few hours a week to flight sims will rarely use such systems to their full extent or even know what they are capable of. With more basic systems there is a much greater chance for the average user (such as myself) to learn about and use the full extent of the available features.

IMO, there's a lot more to enjoy in this hobby than selecting fancy ILS approaches from your GPS. I'd much rather see more extensive engine simulation and well-done steam gauges than a dozen half-functional screens in the cockpit... Realair seems to have the right idea.

Agreed, with fantastic GPS addons from RXP and F1, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. There are many many planes (project choices) produced from the 1960s to the 2000s that can fit practically every possible mission, all of which use the standard 'six' Whats the point of having a G1000 or Pro Line if it's advantages over a traditional panel can't be fully simulated.

While I really enjoy F1's 182 and Mustang for their G1000 experiences, there isn't any mission type those planes can do that can't be done with any other plane with 'standard' equipment....lol matter of fact I am kind of curious if pilots trained only on 'glass' are capable of finding airstrips/landmarks not in the GPS database using old navigation methods lol. The amount of time Rob saves by not having to program complex avionics translates to more time available to create these fantastic planes.

Anyway, I was thinking of doing some re-reg paints for the red scheme, are there any requests for reg nationality?

Cheers

TJ

You raise an interesting point.

I think quality and very expensive system modelling are not necessarily hand in hand. We will be grappling with exactly the same problem. That sophisticated avionics are either absent or not complete does not make an addon aircraft invalid or poor. What matters is if what is there is well done. There are numerous exanples of aircraft addons that offer complete systems, FMS, VNav, glass, Garmin XXXX etc, but the vast amount of time and effort designing these systems often mean compromises elsewhere. I think Carenado do a fantastic job with their offerings and they have identifiable strengths.

All of your points above are pretty much spot on. I was one of those who just wanted everything  with a G1000. They are great units and offer so much information. With the release of the GTN 650/750 all of that has changed for me. Having the so called steam gauges to fly with are easier to read and may actually be safer in the real world. It is a win win situation I think. If others feel the same way as I do, I think your are not going to feel the same pressures from us as before for these resource eating TV screens in the cockpit.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Anyway, I was thinking of doing some re-reg paints for the red scheme, are there any requests for reg nationality?

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to see a Canadian registration.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The gear warning kicks in below 500 feet (I think). We altered it because we, and others, found it very annoying to be constantly reminded about the gear even though we were descending on idle at 25,000 feet!

I think it's closer to 200.  I did another approach and let it go further down.  Got the nice beep-beep too...very practical.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Agreed, with fantastic GPS addons from RXP and F1, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. There are many many planes (project choices) produced from the 1960s to the 2000s that can fit practically every possible mission, all of which use the standard 'six' Whats the point of having a G1000 or Pro Line if it's advantages over a traditional panel can't be fully simulated.

While I really enjoy F1's 182 and Mustang for their G1000 experiences, there isn't any mission type those planes can do that can't be done with any other plane with 'standard' equipment....lol matter of fact I am kind of curious if pilots trained only on 'glass' are capable of finding airstrips/landmarks not in the GPS database using old navigation methods lol. The amount of time Rob saves by not having to program complex avionics translates to more time available to create these fantastic planes.

Cheers

TJ

I'm cheerfully surprised to see at least two supporting views. You hit the nail on the head with this sentence: "Whats the point of having a G1000 or Pro Line if it's advantages over a traditional panel can't be fully simulated." 

I think there is a G1000 available that does do very well in this regard, but I agree, and I think Sean particularly feels, that if you are going to simulate a navigaton system, you might as well do it thoroughly. There's nothing more frustrating than a cut down version of a gauge. It's pretending you're offering something which you are not offering. To be fair I think a lot of developers feel under pressure about this, so respond accordingly. Simulation of this kind does not need to be completely accurate in the sense of exactly implementing real world avionics costing hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars. What matters is that the simulation you provide is convincing, believable and useful.

Anyway, good post which I enjoyed reading.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Well, it's not avionics that make real air products so compelling. It's the dynamics and the attention to detail.

They can keep making steam gauge aircraft as far as I am concerned. Sure, I like the gps integration options very much, but that is only icing on a superb cake.

Do a pc12 with steam gauges. It would sell just as well. Or something similar......

I admit I'm one who oogles at fancy screens!

But I can also do basic navigation so I appreciate both sides of the story.  I did my PPL in a 6 pack cherokee but have been able to fly some awesome Cirrus aircraft as well

Still, I'd love to see a realair bizjet with "steam" gauges.  Something Falcon 10-ish  B)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've stayed out of this whole GPS discussion but I'll say it's pretty easy to self-vector for a practice approach with their help.  E.g. the absence of decent ATC makes these units more practical for me to set myself up for practice.

In terms of the next airplane, not sure I care very much what it is.  Something with some speed for touring, perhaps, but a realistic airplane is far, far more important than anything else. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Some fascinating perspectives on avionics discussed. I’m perfectly content with the way it’s been working, and found it ironic that Real Air has the best 3rd party panel support but Rob doesn’t use it himself. Kinda made me chuckle a little, but that goes to show just how devoted Rob and Sean are to their customers’ satisfaction.

Anyway, I can see both sides of the safety argument. Fancy GPS is great unless it’s so fancy you can’t figure it out, or lose situational awareness because it's a crutch. If you haven't seen "children of magenta" it's worth a watch. Sim practice might alleviate certain dangers though. It took me quite a long time to get comfortable with GNS and that’s a basic system. The idea of being shoved out into the cold, dark world of IFR with less than 100+ hrs of sim experience on that knobby nightmare is kinda spooky.  

Hi TJ,

I am wondering if you would be kind enough to do an Australian Rego for me - VH-JKM?

If not all good but thought I would take you up on the offer if you are still keen.

Cheers,

Hirdy.

I still have PSDs for the blue scheme as well and can take more requests for that, so would you like this registration on red or blue?

edit, here are the red WIPs, and redid the font on the blue schemes

Ec4vt.th.jpg

gZLHX.th.jpg

8Qfzk.th.jpg

jrLI.th.jpg

sZexg.th.jpg

Right, EGPO metar is now 45G65 so good luck! Was a 112mph gust overnight, and I think it's a cross wind!

-Iain Watson-

I still have PSDs for the blue scheme as well and can take more requests for that, so would you like this registration on red or blue?edit, here are the red WIPs, and redid the font on the blue schemesEc4vt.th.jpggZLHX.th.jpg8Qfzk.th.jpgjrLI.th.jpgsZexg.th.jpg

Hi there TJ,

If you can do blue that would be awesome.

Looking good bud, thanks heaps for this.....

Hirdy.

I still have PSDs for the blue scheme as well and can take more requests for that, so would you like this registration on red or blue?

I'd love to have the blue scheme with N6341R if you don't mind taking another request.

Gregg Seipp