Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Windows 10 to be a FREE upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users

The start button griping has always seemed strange to me.  Are people still using the start button?  What is this Windows 95 (cue Rolling Stones music)?  Whether it be Windows 7, 8, 10 just hit the windows key, type the first few letters of what you want and hit enter.  Much quicker than the start button for me.  To be honest, I can't remember the last time I used the start button.

I use it all the time. Start->Computer or Start->Pictures or Start->Control Panel, etc, etc. It's just habit/muscle memory I guess, and getting used to a different way of doing it is not worth the .5 seconds it would save me. That's just me, though. 

Also, I hope that 10 will be a more intuitive interface for tablet use. I have a Surface Pro, and while I do like it, every now and then I come across something that makes me think "Who on God's green Earth approved this moronic operating system?". It's almost like they took the worst elements of a Tablet OS and the worst elements of a desktop OS and merged them together.

Funny how it all gets back to the start menu. Controller dropout is a technical issue which thankfully seems to have been dealt with.

But the start menu. I'll bet that if the MS board boiled anyone it would be over the decision to remove the start menu. That more than anything said 'listen loser, we know you buy our software, but we really don't care what you want. We're going to unify this operating system for our mobile customers...all 5 of them. We need Surface sales'.

I alwsys felt I was using a phone with a 24" screen. So I just bought Start 8 from Stardock and would still be using 8, if it weren't for the controller dropout. I don't think it really matters if anybody used the start menu. It was a massive miscalculation on the part of MS. What a marketing blunder.

USer Interface is so critical that you cannot keep changing it every 2 or 3 years unless the benefit so outweighs the grief it causes users.

What? every 3 years you realize the previous team who did the interface were morons? and what? they are still working for you? you didn't fire them?

Although Apple OS gets refreshed, their UI pretty much remains.. ITs like MS is all over the place they are still mucking with it.

I have been thinking of getting an Macbook air but the thought of new UI is keeping me away..but I think the MAc is so good for my photography that I may spend time learning the UI and moving to Mac.. (But keep MS for Fsim)

One of the main reason I am with FSX and doing P3D is the comfort of the UI. when I tried x-plane... I had such a tough time... was x-plane worth learning a new fsim os/UI? Hmmm...

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I watch the podcast from TWIT their windows weekly program.  This week they are focus on the new Window 10 release

The guests are long time follower of MS, so they kind know what they are talking about in regard to the Microsoft.  

The indicated that: 

Window 10 is free, if upgrade within 1 years of release from Win 7, 8, 8.1 it is free for the life of the device.  That is what they said.  Now, what does that mean?  

For a PC, change MB and CPU will probably killed it.  However, does change HD counted? How about Graphic card?  We have no idea at this time.  May be may be not.  

But sure it is interested to see what is coming from the OS.  

As for why should you move up to Win 10, you don't have.  However, Win 7 is going to dropped sometime. All of the developers would eventual start to write software based on the Win 10 platform.  If your plan is to use what you have for the rest of device time.  Sure, you don't have to upgrade.   But I think most of other simmer might have different idea. 

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Intel I5 3570K OC 4.2GHz, MSI GTX 670 2GB SLI, MB: Asus P8Z77-V Pro. RAM: 16GB HD:750GB

For anyone interested, the January build of the Technical Preview is available now: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/23/january-build-now-available-to-the-windows-insider-program/

I'm in the process of setting up a dual boot with Windows 10 as a secondary OS on my system. I may try running FSX Steam Edition on it once I get up and running.

Brandon Filer

Windows 10 FREE =  As others have stated; There is no such thing as FREE in modern society. Every FREE thing has a hitch rail attached as part of the conditions of acceptance - (whether these conditions are immediately obvious or not) ... This makes commercial sense for the Originator or Author of the product -  but would Microsoft offer a payware version without any conditions?

In saying that - I am only interested in upgrading if the Hitch Rail isn't too draconian AND it doesn't brake a lot of my current stuff..so I am grateful to those keen members who are applying themselves in testing this OS with regard to FSX (and FSX SE, SP1, X Plane, Prepar3D 2.4 and 2.5, etc etc...)

There is no such thing as FREE in modern society.

Unless you are willing to fight for it. BTW, no need of a revolution or weapons. Just saying the old "bull..." will do and will be a good start.

"modern society = for now" and it is never a forever.

Free and freedom is what keeps us going and it has since we came down the trees. Dreams?

Cheers,

There is no such thing as FREE in modern society.

Plenty of free stuff in modern society as the free stuff is called a marketing initiative. It is your choice if you wish to purchase additional items that enhance the giveaway.

Matthew Kane

Unless you are willing to fight for it

Plenty of free stuff in modern society as the free stuff is called a marketing initiative. It is your choice if you wish to purchase additional items that enhance the giveaway.

Sometimes choice has nothing to do with your right to choose, or fighting to maintain a perceived freedom. Its a matter of perception.

Well, I kind of figured everyone would know that we can all decide for ourselves whether we buy into a "Free" promotion or not

I guess my point is that sometimes we loose the right to a choice and we don't even know it through slick marketing initiatives, and cynical PR campaigns (and if you like, political and ideological  machinations).

I think a good strategic move would be if Steam or Microsoft would offer a free barebones O/S to the Gamers. Concept being you go out and buy your Mobo, CPU, Ram, Video Card, PSU and Case, assemble it. Then the O/S could be installed either through the Motherboard Support connected to the internet or a Flash Drive for free on any system. Steam or Microsoft just makes money from selling games  or apps on their store. 

Too bad they don't have this (yet)

Matthew Kane

Perhaps more than 1 way to make a dollar. Once 10 comes out, MS will be supporting Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10; as well as XP for left over corporate users. That would be an expensive proposition. Maybe in their best interests to migrate as many to 10, as quickly as possible.

Corporate clients aren't going to change to Windows 10 just because it's free. They will wait until they are sure that the applications needed for their business will still work. They will also not spend money uneccesarily in re-training staff either.

The one advantage is that you will get security updates for a few more years.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Corporate clients aren't going to change to Windows 10 just because it's free. They will wait until they are sure that the applications needed for their business will still work. They will also not spend money uneccesarily in re-training staff either.

You're right. I was thinking more of the consumer end.

You are correct but history has shown that to be true with every upgrade free or paid. Making this free and assuming it is going to be a good release that consumers like to use at home is, in the end, going to have a lot of influence on board room decisions about their IT. How many of us has said to our boss..."man this would be easy if we had Windows 7" I use it at home and it is so easy to network." It seems like a great way to set the stage for the future as well as clean up a lot of extra work needed for support of all those XP, Win 8 and if Win 10 is good enough it will move a lot of folks foward from Windows 7. We will just have to see.

Edit...I do keep my copies of Windows 7 in the safe .....just in case :Whistle:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/