Sign in to follow this  
Kaaron Gillett

WINDOWS 10 and what it mean for us.

Okay, I just did a FULL re-installation. The framerate issue is fixed (before updating to W10, I had about 30-40fps wih the default aircraft, now I get up to 60) but it doesn't recognise my joystick (which is an old Saitek ST90 btw), has some rendering issues on the scenery and the options bar (thats what I call the thing that comes up when I press Alt) freezes the game when I try to select something. 

I assume it's a problem with the drivers but I can't find any ST90 drivers online. Any other ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :) 

Try going to Device Manager and forcing it to update via internet.

Reading some good comments here about Win 10 upgrade.

Anybody has made the switch and using Saitek throttles, yoke or rudder?

How about Flight1 addons like the BE20?

Cheers

I use Saitek Pro Flight rudder and yoke, and both are detected and working great.

It turns out I forgot to enable controllers (How silly of me). So that's sorted out.

Rendering issues are still apparent though and I still can't use the bar at the top when in full screen mode...

Rendering issues are still apparent though and I still can't use the bar at the top when in full screen mode...

Did you upgrade or clean install the new OS? If you simply upgraded, delete your shader cache and try again.

It turns out I forgot to enable controllers (How silly of me). So that's sorted out.

If this looks like your problem give it a try as I think this needs to be reinstalled after loading windows 10

==========================================================

Well found out the exact cause of my menu clicks crashing P3D – I needed Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 installed – I would assume one of my addons needed this as I thought P3D installer has all of the needed components

link to download here is needed and I am on 64bit system fyi

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Rich Sennett

Did you upgrade or clean install the new OS? If you simply upgraded, delete your shader cache and try again.

It was just an upgrade. And I already tried deleting my shader cache and it was reduced but still there.

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10. Here is my experience

After upgrading, I tried to run FSX. My FSX is just MS version, not SE. After FSX loaded, I can't see the airplane animated rotating on screen as I supposed to see. It keep giving me error ending up my FSX crashing.

Thinking might be because the upgrade issue, so I decide to wipe my laptop and re-install Windows 10 from scratch.

Install FSX with some addon like PMDG and Aerosoft, in heavy airport (ImagineSim Singapore), I got horrible performance. I still see blank screen on the section where you should see the aircraft rotating on FSX main page. I got lots of issue running FSX on Windows 10:

First, when I load complex aircraft, 1/4 screen will become black resulting the FSX reduce the screen. There is nothing I can do about it. However, it doesn't do it when I load stock aircraft.

Second, the rendering is not smooth resulting in lot of stutter. The FPS is quite low compared when I run it on Windows 8.1

Third, I don't think FSX is optimized on Windows 10. Who knows what other addon that won't work on Windows 10?

Conclusion, I don't think it is good idea upgrading to Windows 10 if you are planning to use your PC to play FSX for now. How about P3D? Since P3D is FSX based, there is chance simmer will experience issues after upgrading to Windows 10. It is safe to stay away until the vendor start developing to optimize Windows 10. Keep in mind that if it works solid on Windows 7 or Windows 8(.1), don't mess around with it. Keep it as it is. "If it doesn't break, don't touch it!" 

Thank you

Sounds like you didn't install the latest video card drivers correctly.

Reading some good comments here about Win 10 upgrade.

Anybody has made the switch and using Saitek throttles, yoke or rudder?

How about Flight1 addons like the BE20?

Cheers

I have a Mad-Catz F.L.Y. stick working perfectly here with the 8.1 64bit driver / software.  My sound has been good and Creative drivers were released today.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

How about P3D? Since P3D is FSX based, there is chance simmer will experience issues after upgrading to Windows 10.

Thank you

Of course everyone's experience will be based on their PC's age, components, configuration, and drivers. There are many here on the forums using Windows 10 (final release) with P3D and zero problems. All my add-ons work fine and my long hauls in the PMDG 772 work flawlessly. The A2A C-182 with the GTN-750 rocks solidly as well as the PMDG NGX. I couldn't be more pleased.

I also firmly believe that if you have a mature setup on Windows 7, there's really no need to upgrade now. Of course, if you want Windows 10 for free, you will have to do something within the next year.

And lastly, Lockheed Martin is still developing P3D and it looks like there may be a v3.0 sometime in the not too distant future. I have no idea what may be in that new release, but they are likely to address DX-12 sooner or later, and you will need Windows 10 for that.

No rush, but, if I were you, I'd plan to make the jump within the next 12 months.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I use Saitek Pro Flight rudder and yoke, and both are detected and working great

I have a Mad-Catz F.L.Y. stick working perfectly here with the 8.1 64bit driver / software

here are many here on the forums using Windows 10 (final release) with P3D and zero problems. All my add-ons work fine and my long hauls in the PMDG 772 work flawlessly. The A2A C-182 with the GTN-750 rocks solidly as well as the PMDG NGX. I couldn't be more pleased.

Thanks, guys, that's good news. I started the download for an upgrade now. It's gonna take a looong time @ 8-10% per hour.

Regards, Perry

Strange problem here - upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate last weekend, running FSX:SE, did a couple of flights in Aerosoft's A32x, no problems. Fast forward to this morning (AUS time) thought I'd get some 777 hours in - halfway through loading the PMDG 773 Windows experienced a problem, crash - restart, same problem. Restart, load the trike and fly around with no problems, load the 773, crash. Eventlog shows a 0xc0000005 error which is usually permissions.

Went back to Windows 7 and I've been in the air for the past 4 or so hours with a problem.

Will probably do a clean install once this flight is over and see how it goes.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

well my pc was hit by lightning 3 days before windows 10 was released,all the testing during the windows 10 beta worked well for p3d and fsx.thankfully i had insurance on my custom built rig and the lightning happened at just about the right time.i will be putting a skylake rig together from the 2,000 insurance claim,i have been 2 weeks without a desktop and its gonna be at least 2 more weeks.sorry i went off topic, windows 10 really is a good option for windows 8 users for sure.there was a program called start8 to give you a start menu.there is also a start 10 that gives you a windows 7 look as well.

0xc0000005 error which is usually permissions.

Make sure UAC has been disabled and make sure you start up FSX with Admin Privileges by right clicking on fsx.exe, and, under the Compatibility tab, make sure Run as Admin is selected all the way at the bottom of the form.

the 005 error usually indicates Memory Access Violation and is seen in 99% of all CTD's. What you need to look for is the faulting module which provides a clue as to what might have caused the access violation. For instance, if it was an Nvidia driver that was the faulting module, you need to make sure you upgraded to the driver that is compatible with Windows 10 as that was just released.

If the PMDG aircraft continues to CTD, then I would down load and run the latest update again. You also need to run the OP Ctr (you did not indicate you had) before you download and run the latest update and it usually will show you if there is a problem with the installation or it is missing something. But I think the software licensing program may not be enabled and you may have to make sure it is enabled in Services. You can check this by going to the Windows 10 search and typing msconfig in the search box and hit enter. It will take you to your system configuration. Look under services tab and make sure Flexnet is checked (if it shows stopped, that's okay).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, I did try the run as admin and UAC was set to the lowest setting.  I had run the Op Ctr and checked versions, but can't recall what the module was that faulted and having restored I can't see it now.

I'm back on Windows 7 for now - will probably do a clean install of 10 later and try again.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg