Sign in to follow this  
AstonNWoods

GMT-Time Toggle

Hi, Have a problem that I can't quiet understand. Could someone help shed some light for me please.

When I start P3D I have it set to show the scenario screen so I can select my aircraft etc. The problem I have is with the time part. I live in the UK so GMT-time for me my Local time. With the default location of somewhere in the US It will give me the local time there for the start time. But if i select GTM-time it won't select my time (same as on my computer). And also if I set my location to be EGLL (Heathrow) then if I put the GMT-Time to my computer time (which is correct) then it may show it as night time, even if its day outside, but then when I load up the sim the clocks inside the aircraft don't show the time I set as GMT-Time.

If it is 09:00gmt and I set 09:00 and click the GMT-Time switch the time will change so I have to reset it to my current time but then the aircraft time may be what the time changed to. 

I don't quiet understand this GTM-Time toggle and I am getting confused with the time as I can't seem to get my flights correct be cause of it.

Anyone be able to give me an understaffing of this or help, if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Hi ,

yesterday i had the same issue so a few minutes ago i checked it again .

It seems that after a scenario is loaded ( the plane on the airport ) and if you  then go back to the options , time and season , and you set then the gmt time it stays on the correct gmt time (workaround) .

Best regards

Gérard

Hello,

Correct time settings in P3Dv2 are a problem since the first release (when using the scenario manager).

Therefore I use "FS Real Time" for about one year..

Patric

I have noticed the same issues, if I'm not mistaken FSX had a difficult time with this too. So instead of using the GMT button, I just figure out what the local time is at the airport I'm flying out of and set that as the time. And after that the clocks in the aircraft show the correct time

I do the opposite of Adam, and either approach works.  I do every thing in UTC.  Yup, P3D inhereted the clumsy local-zulu procedure but I always verify that the setting is the time I want after clicking the GMT button.

Dan Downs KCRP

No problem. Just be happy its only a problem of simple GMT conversion and can easily be worked around by manual entry of time. FS9 had a bug that drove me NUTS, in that the sim clock ran a little slower than normal. Not much to notice on short hops, but being a long guy, after a trip across the Atlantic I would see the sim clock 30 minutes or so behind real time!

OP

Glad you posted this cos I thought, maybe it is just me with this issue.

The problem I have is sometimes I like to plan a flight to coincide with a particular local time (such as to make a curfew, or during sunrise / sunset to enjoy the view).  In FSX I would go to the startup screen and switch between Local and GMT to find the timezone difference.  In P3D I haven't found a way to calculate the timezone for any particular airport because of this bug.

I tried to google maps which show timezones but it's not always accurate especially if your airport lies along a borderline, or if daylight savings come into effect for some months of the year.  I even kept a list of timezones that FSX uses (but only for airports I had been to before).

I wish there was a way to extract the timezone for every ICAO airport code in FSX / P3D and display the corresponding +/- GMT values in a .csv or something like that.  I'm sure someone with the knowhow on inspecting .bgls would be able to do this but that kind of thing is way over my head.

I guess in the meantime, what is the easiest way to work out the timezone for a particular ICAO code that one maybe planning to fly to today?

Thanks,

Subin.

what is the easiest way to work out the timezone for a particular ICAO code that one maybe planning to fly to today?

There are probably many ways to do this.... why not use Great Circle Mapper http://gc.kls2.com/ ,  Enter ICAO into text box next to "Get information about an airport code."  This website has been in my favorites list for a very long time.

Dan Downs KCRP

Also, if you have a smartphone, I highly recommend the free app aeroweather. It's used to gather weather information on airports. You add airports to your list and they all refresh at the same time, so I like to use it to see my destination weather or if I want to find some interesting conditions to fly in. But anyway, that's off topic. For your question regarding finding local times, in the app, when you click on an airport, it will show you the local time. Also in the station information box it shows what time zone it is in, and whether it is observing daylight savings time or not