Sign in to follow this  
dental12

fsx steam gpu usage

Hi

is it true that fsx steam takes advantage of more gpu power than the classic fsx which is notoriously

cpu intensive

thx lee

No, that would be P3D, I believe.

Oh, oh, Jim. Now you've dunnit, here we go. Start the popcorn.

+1 (lol)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Let me restate my question. I realize fsx steam has basically the same engine and is still a cpu hog. However because of the changes, I seem to recall reading that the steam version is more capable of taking advantage of the power and capabilities of the gpu also. Especially a high end nvidia card llike the new gtx 980. I'll take some of that popcorn Capt. Speirs. :lol:

Lee

FSX:Steam = FSX:Gold, with mods to make it work within the Steam system as well as Steam Networking, plus slight mods to help it work with modern PC's. No major core modifications at all. Basically, it is a re-release with very small adjustments.

On some people's hardware, it is claimed to work better, on others, not.

Only P3D has the benefit of sending graphics to the GPU.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I believe the only significant change with FSX-SE was to recompile with the latest Visual C++ compiler, known to generate more efficient code.

Which means CPU intensive tasks can get completed more quickly, potentially shifting the balance between CPU and graphics slightly to the right, giving the GPU slightly more chance to do some work.

Exactly how much will vary though.

I'm running P3D and FSX-SE approx 50-50 right now and am reasonably happy with both :-)

Cheers

Keith

this thread is getting interesting. for those whose have very high end video cards like the new gtx 980, I would like to know in your opinion which sim benifits more from this hardware

thx Lee

I have a mere 670, but P3D is definitely better graphically.

If you don't have P3D get a one month developer license ($5 I think) and try it for a month :)

Cheers

Keith

Also, with FSX:SE, you get to use the Cup Holder feature on your PC!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

The other important advantage of FSX-SE is VAS management. FSX-SE tend to free memory the more you fly, usually avoiding OOM crashes when you fly on high density scenarios.

Either way no, FSX-SE doesn't take bigger advantage of modern GPUs.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

These responses are very informative and brings me to an important point. I wonder at what point we get diminished returns with increasingly powerful video cards assuming other "bottlenecks" have been greatly reduced like cpu speed, ram , Ssd's etc.

Lee

You have all been living under a rock. There a multiple comparisons of FSX vs FSX:SE edition, and the latter has far better VAS usage and over smoothness. The last one is of course a subjective opinion stated by many, but VAS has been thoroughly tested. However, some claim they gain FSP while the counterpart claim the opposite, i.e less FPS. So it basically depends on your hardware.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

im%20Not%20Worthy.gifSo, that you are saying, & what we are seeing, is that there is no definative answer, as we all have varying qualities of hardware. All these tests have now become boring, as the majority of them have been done by the 'experts' on top end hardware. Regardlessly, FSX:SE is STILL an 8 year old slightly modded game, running on modern day PC's, so we will see some sort of 'benefit'.

:t0152:

The biggest advantage for me, as I've said, is the cup holder, which I get with P3D (as well). 

That's me for now. Back under my rock I go.. :ph34r: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...