Sign in to follow this  
birdmanmike

Why all this doom and gloom with 2.+?

I think reading this has given me the final push to move over. 

I can't say I have any problem with FSX boxed and certainly spend no time at all playing around with the fsx.cfg BUT, the prospect of a smoother sim with all those shadows is something that can't be ignored anymore.

Cheers

Paul Golding

personally I have never seen P3d looking better than v2.5,with DSR enabled

Can you elaborate slightly on DSR.  Is this the method for allowing high resolutions than native and so can help users not require SGSS, which as we know reduces performance sometimes greatly in dense clouds?  I did run my 1920x1200 display at the next notch up but since there is some deterioration in image quality, presumably because it was not the display's native resolution, I ended up reverting back and using 4xSS which loses the cloud performance issue.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I think reading this has given me the final push to move over. 

I can't say I have any problem with FSX boxed and certainly spend no time at all playing around with the fsx.cfg BUT, the prospect of a smoother sim with all those shadows is something that can't be ignored anymore.

Paul!  

Long time, but great to hear from you!

Make the move, I was on the fence for forever as well.  Since last Friday, I can't stop flying in P3D!  

As you saw in my pics (and many others around the net), the visuals are amazing, and its only get better in the future.  I started on 2.5 (as you will), so no issues at all updating from a previous version.  I can say that was what I was waiting for, and I almost pulled the trigger on 2.4, but decided to wait (that and other real world items).

The 1st time you see that shadow dance across your flight deck, you see the smoothness and detail, you'll be glad you made the move, and wonder like I did why you didn't sooner.  :lol:

Minimal tweaking is also a great incentive, as I said in another post here:

Sad as it may seem (and I make this observation all the time), we are all unwitting members of a special group of people who have become more knowledgeable in computer tweaking than we ever wanted to be.  I can speak for everyone here that given a choice, I'd much rather spend my time flying than tweaking my machine to make my flight experience more enjoyable...which can quickly become a degenerative feedback loop, just like painting planes! 

And one of the coolest features in P3d under the World menu is "Time Preview"....allows you to dynamically set any time of day you want to fly in and preview how it looks, then quickly set that time and enjoy...It'll blow you away if you like flying at a certain time of day (Dawn, dusk...and get to SEE exactly what the time you're setting will look like in the sim....not a tiny, static window of a dawn/dusk scene).

You move a slider and watch the shadows move across your plane....very very cool! 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

2.5 seems like a rock solid build from my testing so far. 

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Nice post, very enjoyable to keep on reading positive stuff for a while.

I am neither young nor angry but yet sometimes I find myself complaining just because I have no patience.

P3D 2.5 is the best so far and I was on board as of 1.0.

Are there things to improve? I guess yes but I have the confidence that there will be further improvement by LM.

Hans

I'm a long time simmer right from the Commodore Amiga 1000 and subLOGIC days. That was 1984 wow doesn't time fly?

Newb! I coded a flight sim for the Vic 20 - cleverly called 'Flight Simulator' - in 1983. 3.5 kilobytes of useable memory. Never did get the Amiga though, that's a bit out of my league - maybe one day.

As for P3D, I retired FSX at the v1 release. It's been slow but steady progress since then. I guess I just love the excitement of a sim platform that keeps getting better. I'll confess that I don't understand the posters that complain about the regular updates. Um...maybe don't upgrade then??

Tbh, I spend a lot more time flying than posting. 2.5 is rock solid, smooth and just great to fly. One thing I'd recommend is good hardware, though, if you want the full experience. I'm guessing the team code with the new gear in mind (well, it would make sense for a commercial sim). I can say at any rate that with a 2015-spec gaming rig this flightsim is a world away from the old FSX experience. 

Looking forward to the next update! :)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Newb! I coded a flight sim for the Vic 20 - cleverly called 'Flight Simulator' - in 1983. 3.5 kilobytes of useable memory. Never did get the Amiga though, that's a bit out of my league - maybe one day.

Dang...I was hi-tech back then.  I had an Atari 520st...with....are you sitting down...an Indus GT 5 1/4 inch drive!  I think I paid around $400 for it back then (just the Indus drive).   Makes me shutter to think that is half for what I paid for my current rig, 4790k with a 660Ti...which as we know is literally light years ahead of what we thought was awesome back in '84-'85.

Had a friend with a Trash-80....kept telling me how much better it was that my 520st and Atari only made game boxes...not "computers".  Until he saw flightsim on it, hehe.  Sublogic's version, can't remember the version number, but green grass, blue sky, white plane...that was about it.

Those were the days!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Noel i had tried many tweaks via Nvidia inspector to get rid of jaggies on certain aircraft and stop a small amount of shimmering on instruments in the VC,i had copied/tried many diff setups/tweaks by different members found on the webb,but i found that while I had got rid of the jaggies etc I was not getting the 30 FPS I was use to seeing in P3d, I read about the DSR on Avsim and gave it a try ,I seem to suffer no FPS loss and I like the look of the sim when using DSR,I use a 2 x setting at 33% and have tried diff settings but I like the one I have settled on,the only other setting I use are all in the sim control panel 16xAA 8x forget and 4096 texture,s.I see no issues using DSR only benefits FOR ME,I no longer have Nvidia installed on my PC one thing i do is always try 1 tweak at a time and run it for a week or so,I feel that there are so many factors that effect fsx and P3d in the set up of our PC,s that it is no surprise that thing,s don't always work out for us(Nvidea Ins was a big variable factor controlled by some one who did not have a clue what it was really doing ie ME) ,I took a look at Nick guide to setting up a PC !if only I had the patience to work through it,sorry i cant explain it any clearer

peter

Psion Flight Simulator on the ZX Spectrum 48K - Christmas 1982. Two runways, two lakes, and a cardboard cutout mountain background on one side. For the record, the graphics were almost as crap as those in FS5 :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Had a friend with a Trash-80....kept telling me how much better it was that my 520st and Atari only made game boxes...not "computers".

Hey hey hey, don't trash my HotCoCo (aka TRS-80 color computer) ... ;) ... now you gone made me dig this up:  

9d2f3fc8c03969cb5263c81f39e19810_eni3.jp

Simpler times ...

Cheers, Rob.

Hey hey hey, don't trash my HotCoCo (aka TRS-80 color computer) ... ;) ... now you gone made me dig this up:  

OMG Rob, that is awesome!

It required 32kb of ram to run huh?  oh yeah....simpler times.  :wink:

You didn't happen to have the whopping 5mb HDD that was available for it for $2500 did you?  My goodness, you could have stored 1000's of 32kb games on it!

Boggles the mind how for we've come since then. :Silly:

I'm loving P3d BTW....kicking myself for waiting so long to get it...been lurking for a while, happy with my FSX:SE....haven't even opened it since I got P3d.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Psion Flight Simulator on the ZX Spectrum 48K - Christmas 1982. Two runways, two lakes, and a cardboard cutout mountain background on one side. For the record, the graphics were almost as crap as those in FS5

Hey Chris, I remember those....it was amazing all the companies making computers back then.  I had a few "consoles" too...the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and a Colecovision.  Had so much fun playing them.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

You didn't happen to have the whopping 5mb HDD that was available for it for $2500 did you?

No way - cutting lawns and building bee hives at min wage just didn't pull in the kinda income I needed for a hard drive or even a Floppy Drive .... but I was able to convert a Cassette tape record into my storage device ... took a couple of minutes to save/load programs.   I actually coded this game in High School (1981/82), didn't get published until I was in University.

Yes it does boggle the mind, we toss around 9MB picture files like nothing.

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Chris, I remember those....it was amazing all the companies making computers back then.

Some good documentaries on NetFlix about the golden age of computers and how silicon valley started (pre Jobs and Gates) ... including early game machines.

Cheers, Rob.