Sign in to follow this  
birdmanmike

Why all this doom and gloom with 2.+?

Reading all this recent P3D disparagement, LM not doing their job and everything,  I see a fair few of Johnny-come-lately's whinging, but few of the people using P3D for a long time are complaining.

A very fine post.

Edited by n4gix
Trimmed the HUGE excessive quote!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Welcome Steve on the dark site lol (boy we have had that several times in the past)
But it's amazing to see it mature and once you have seen the lightning in combination with the rest...

Then it's history... Now only P3D native add-ons because a lot isn't most regarding night stuff and SDK rules lol

Hey André, yeah its good to be on the dark side (and literally since I've found that HDR makes the textures a little darker, at least on my machine, hehe).

Its great that you, Chris and others from the old gang are still here, enjoying the hobby we love so much.  I've been in and out over the years...paint until its to becomes too much like a job then take a break (unless there is a livery I really want...the best thing about being a painter, hehe).

I was quite excited about FSX:SE, and still enjoy it with all its addons that I'm slowly transitioning, but I think P3d is going to be my sim of choice based on how its been for me these past few days with it.

And yes, we've had our fill of "Dark sides" over the years (My God, we're in our second DECADE here!)

Glad that is all history, and I look forward to growing with the community on this new platform, especially when we see 64 bit and what our favorite developers can do with all the memory headroom.  :smile:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

And yes, we've had our fill of "Dark sides" over the years (My God, we're in our second DECADE here!)

Glad that is all history, and I look forward to growing with the community on this new platform, especially when we see 64 bit and what our favorite developers can do with all the memory headroom.  :smile:

Indeed Steve amazing floating around AVSIM in our second decade lol time flies...

To the OP a well balanced fine post

Cheers,

André

Have to realize that many come to forums to post about problems they're having ... often they'll try to leverage those problems by adding "everyone" or "unusable", often little to no accurate information is provided (often a sign the end user isn't really interested in a solution, just wants to vent) -- often information is not accurate because a user is convinced it can't be their treasured settings or 3rd party product or hardware so they avoid mentioning it.

But forums do tend to skew the population of unhappy end users ... I can assure you that LM are more than pleased with the growth of P3D both in terms of end users and how they've developed v2.x series over the past 16 months.  I've received much much more positive feedback than negative ... people do go out of their way to provide positive feedback.

I shared this video in my other PC build thread, but I'll share it again here because I've seen many folks say that P3D requires tweaking and adjustments to make it work ... that's just simply NOT accurate.  Because people do tweak and adjust (like myself) that does NOT mean it's "required".  

Base install of v2.5 ... no add-ons, no tweaks, ... just adjust graphics setting per P3D menus and started flying (it's that simple).  This isn't a particularly spectacular video, it's just proof of not needing to do anything "special" to get it to work (contrary to rumors).

For those of you interested in "fast and low" 1100 Kts test skip to the 3:12 min mark.

graphics settings here: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_4K_Long_Haul.html

Cheers, Rob.

Well said by the OP. Am a happy P3D2 user too.  I was happy with 2.0 as well as now with 2.5 and FSX has gone off my SSD long time ago.

I think most of the CTDs OOMs etc comes from old FSX stuff or simply way too high settings for the system P3D2 runs from. From a stock setup the sim runs like hell. Adding FTX Global+Vector it has still great performance. However Vector seems to have an impact in performance.

For my use of the sim just flying GA, helicopter and military aircraft everything is in the green. There are a few airliners im currently lookin at. These will be definitely Aerosoft CRJ, Majestics Q400 and PMDG NGX. The only thing that keeps me from going PMDG is the -at least in my personal opinion and feel- the bad performance. Smooth 15-20 FPS is a no go for my eyes. Sorry for goin off topic :S

Anyway P3D2 is a great sim and im sure it will gettin better from update to update :)

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

But forums do tend to skew the population of unhappy end users

Never has a purer statement ever been made!

When you think that people come to the forums for 2 basic reasons....to announce joy and wonder about how great somethings working (as has been my case with P3d...new member since last Friday, but decades in flightsim experience)...OR...to announce to the world that this &$^%$*&(^%&%%$$(&^$ application is messed up and this/that caused it.

Sadly the folks needing help far outnumber the ones coming here to praise the app (which is a natural imbalance that exists in EVERY facet of life, not just simming)

I like to play the association game when people, not overly familiar with cause and effect and measurable troubleshooting, are convinced that event x caused situation y.  I state that since I did not win the lottery last night, and I had Corn Flakes for breakfast yesterday, then it is safe to assume that not eating Corn Flakes will allow me to win the lottery.  :BigGrin:

I totally understand that in some cases the cause/effect is directly related...Classic example I see every day at my job...A nurse/physician complains the electronic health record (EHR) is slow, and since we installed a patch last night, that is the cause.  That does in fact happen...but just as often..... it has nothing to do with the patch, or even the EHR, rather the Citrix farm decided to coincidentally glitch and, long story short, made the EHR "Appear" to be slow. 

However to the end-user, the appearance is that the application they work in is slow, so it must be the app.

Anyway, I empathize with the plight of all our users who come here seeking help, and take the venting in stride as long as it doesn't get too hostile or personal, and focus on trying to help when I can.  Its very similar to when I have to go and help frustrated physicians when they are fed up with the EHR and ready to (or at least threaten to) take their patients to another healthcare enterprise.  I let them vent for a bit, empathize with their concerns, then get them focused on resolving their problem.  :wink:  

I completely agree that P3d was simple to install...minimal config to get it to my liking, and thus far a game-changing event in my simming experience!

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Would have to agree with those that have noted about some users being convinced that you have to do a lot of tweaking (I think FSX, over the years, taught us that) and that more posters are maligning without a good basis (no user errors)

When I first met P3D ver. 2.2 I spent all my time tweaking, reading forums and doing more tweaking.

The last two versions, finally learned to just fly and use settings on the settings pages instead of reading tweak forums and constantly changing things in the .cfg file.

I can get great looks and flight smoothness with just the sim's in-game settings, no invidia inspector, etc. That's what we all need----more flight time less "fidgeting time".

Very happy with 2.5, in the near future all our add-ons will be fixed. So in reality, no problem, just chill out and fly with what is working.  

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I'm with the OP and others who really REALLY like P3D and v2.5 in particular!

My only add-ons are FTX Global and Vector.  I only buy aircraft that are shown

as P3D v2.# compatible. Runs like a dream.

Then you throw in LM and how much they interface with users.  My Gawd....they actually listen!!!

How refreshing!

FaxCap

It is so great to see a positive thread for P3D. I too had no problems with 2,5 install. I am in the camp that is sticking with the addons that have be tested approved and stamped by the God of Flight Sims. My only problem came from trying to get the GTN 750 to show up in my re installed A2A Cessna 182. That and the fact that my Yoke of oh I don't know maybe 8 years chose this time to go south. LOL! I only mention a negative because I think it is a good example of how folks who are new to the hobby tend to blame everything on the developers. Now I did not keep count but on Sat, I must have re-installed the 182 and GTN software 8 or 10 times. In between I was reading all the forms looking for a solution. All I could read was man this works great for me!!! LOL...go figure.

Next I got up sunday morning and installed the new flight Yoke. Just because I hate myself and love pain I then deleted the 182 and GTN software again. Of course, thanks to Flight 1 I had to revalidate my software...... :crazy: just for practice. Did the re-install just like oh so many times before and it worked perfect!! Who knows why or how? Just some queertron floating around some where in the system. That same bug could have just as well trashed my install if Version 2.5 but it didn't. We all have a gazillion different computers and set ups and everyone of them have some bugs and Queertrons in them. If more folks would remember that before trashing the Dev's we would all be as polite and get along like a bunch of old women at a sewing bee!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The original post and those that have followed have been spot on and, as Sam before me said, a breath of freash air. A lot of positive reasons and honest opinions have already been shared, and I agree with a lot of them. It is absolutely fantastic that Lockheed Martin has picked up the reins to the FSX code base and is willing to move it forward.

This progress and improvement will come at an additional cost, such as the higher license cost for the product, but as a flight simmer it's an investment into our hobby that is paying itself back. We can see this in the continual improvements in the simulator and in 3rd party add-ons that are rising to the challenge to provide continued support. Some 3rd party companies' business plans cause them to approach the continued support differently, but that is up to them and us to decide to buy.

Prepar3D has been an expensive intial cost, yes. It has also been amazing to see it improve, to experience the improments, and to see 3rd parties bring their incredible products into the Prepar3D simulator.

I also want to add that it has been fun getting to interact with all of you in the forum. I've enjoyed reading and engadging with everyone. We all have differing opinions and PC setups, so it's great to see when everyone works together to help out or brings their experience to the table.

Cheers. :)

I am in a great position now where I am flying the PMDG 777 with Orbix FTX Global, Orbix Vector and FS Global 2010 mesh scenery.....with AI supplied by UT2. I

Hi, 

Do you recall if all of the add-ons you have installed did indeed have 2.5 compatible installers?  FTX Global, PMDG 777 etc?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

a good positive thread,personally I have never seen P3d looking better than v2.5,with DSR enabled,I am still getting 30fps in most setting and it is  very smooth and very sharp with no flickering and not a jaggie in sight ,I usually fly for around 1 to 2 hrs max and in general like the smaller aircraft and vintage aircraft,it makes me wonder where/how does LM go/do/improve P3d before going to 64bit? does  any one know?,I have refrained from  tweaking P3D,But I am starting to wonder if any of the tweaks still make a difference? (like AM  or FFTF etc), I do think that the constant improvements in P3d must be a pain in the butt for devs but that is the price of progress, FSX has been dead for me for 2/3 yrs,so no more amazing  blue screens no more graphic issues no more crashing 5mins before landing etc,i take my hat off to the folks who have FSX running really well they must be a lot more PC savvy than most or bloody lucky,it is also very good to see devs  finally taking P3D seriously and really sorting their add on,s for P3D,So as much as I want the Turbine Duke/King air 350 to fly in P3d,(I must say the latest version of the king air look,s the dogs doodah,s) I am glad to see the developers doing a good job and not releasing unfinished add ons,It is also good to see LM taking note of and acting on feed back from us simmers,Keep up the good work guys I think the flight sim future looks very bright

just my two pennyworth thanks for reading

peter

Reading this thread is like having food when your hungry, it's very satisfying.

I'm a long time simmer right from the Commodore Amiga 1000 and subLOGIC days. That was 1984 wow doesn't time fly?

My first P3D experience was v2.0 I remember loading it and thinking wow this is good but... The 'but' was because I didn't have to tweak anything! As you can imagine this was a far cry from anything I'd experienced in the past (except back in my subLOGIC days) that it left me with withdrawal symptoms. How on earth could I possibly enjoy flying when I didn't need to spend hours tweaking?

What did I do next? As you can imagine, I then trawled through every forum looking for that elusive fix. I needed to find tweaks or life would never be the same again. I was disappointed. Yes, I did find a few and was instantly relieved, as I was back in familiar territory. Did they make any significant difference? Erm... Well... Not really, but the whole placebo effect helped with the withdrawal symptoms.

Due to a house move into a property that needed major renovation my simulator time was fast drawing to a conclusion so I abandoned all the tweaks and decided to enjoy it. And boy did I! Even version 2.0 had enhancements that were new to me. Soon, time had run out and it was time to pack everything away.

During the time it took to rebuild the new property, P3D had progressed to v2.4. I couldn't get a fix by reading the forums as in the early days I had no internet. I spent a lot of time reminiscing about my P3D experience and how good it was, that when I was in a position to load it, I did. I forgot about tweaking and just wanted to fly. As you can imagine I was a happy bunny.

If you sit back and take a moment to look back, the current iteration has had a lot of enhancements. We have things now we've only dreamed about. LM have gone out of their way to make the world look and behave in a more natural way. By adding select 3rd party goodies, the whole experience is pretty amazing. I liken it to food, you can take a bunch of ingredients and cook them at home (what we had before) or, you can goto a really good restaurant and using the same ingredients cooked in the right way the whole experience is heightened. I feel were in a really good place right now.