Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[27FEB15] Latest News/Release Planning Notes, etc

I guess it's still in it's youth and they probably didn't realise they were going to get such high demand for complex addon compatibility straight from the go. I'm sure the kinks will iron out over time.

This, however, would mean an epic fail :P

Stefan Keller
ngxu_banner.png                 

ugcx_banner.png

Is FSX Deluxe supposed to work on Windows 8.1?

I had a miserable experience and just as I was about to reluctantly give up on 8.1, FSX SE miraculously appeared and it is smooth and stable without any tampering with FSX.cfg. All my add-ons are working perfectly too (just waiting for NGX).

I expect SE will also work, or be modified to work on Windows X.

AMD • 5800X3D • RX7900 XT • B550 • 32GB DDR4
pmdgswitch.jpg

I guess it's still in it's youth and they probably didn't realise they were going to get such high demand for complex addon compatibility straight from the go. I'm sure the kinks will iron out over time.

Or they rushed it out as fast as they could to capitalise on Christmas and just added a new splash screen and new server compatibility. Rehashing FSX is easy for them considering the huge amount of tweaking content available online. What DTG do next is what will convince us cynics.

David Thwaites

FYI here is the change log for FSX:SE. not sure if anything they did directly relates to performance increases in the core code. 

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/622954747293264584/

This is the most significant change, which really helps the VAS situation vs FSX Box

"* Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache."

With it it releases Virtual address allocations for further use, where FSX Box would not., increasing the chance of running out of VAS further in the flight. There is a youtube user (Jordan King, he was a AVSIM member but some how got banned, don't know why) who has setup a benchmark he uses when he's doing performance test. Basically it's a flight from FSDT KLAX to KONT by Shehryar Ansari. Overflying KLGB also by Shehryar Ansari. He did a comparison with the same settings (Which he has loaded, and describes in the video). In FSX FSUIPC starts pinging, almost right after takeoff, and dies just not even reaching KLGB, while FSX-SE went all the way to KONT before starting to ping on approach, but made it all the way to landing. He did a similar test between FSX-SE and P3D, and while obviously he couldn't get the exact settings as FSX-SE because of difference in platform, that don't exist with FSX Box, he attempted to get as close as he could. In that video FSX-SE still held out longer but only marginally. The difference is P3D is $200 (I don't qualify for the academic version) while FSX-SE was $4.95 with not much different visuals, when FSX is ran on DX10. So pretty much it was a no brainer for me.  I didn't link the videos because he used a non PMDG aircraft in them, but you can search by his user name or "FSX-SE vs P3D" (or FSX).

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I'm sticking with boxed FSX in dx10. 30fps with hd addons. A silly off topic question...is water rendered via CPU or graphics card?

This is the most significant change, which really helps the VAS situation vs FSX Box

"* Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache."

With it it releases Virtual address allocations for further use, where FSX Box would not., increasing the chance of running out of VAS further in the flight. There is a youtube user (Jordan King, he was a AVSIM member but some how got banned, don't know why) who has setup a benchmark he uses when he's doing performance test. Basically it's a flight from FSDT KLAX to KONT by Shehryar Ansari. Overflying KLGB also by Shehryar Ansari. He did a comparison with the same settings (Which he has loaded, and describes in the video). In FSX FSUIPC starts pinging, almost right after takeoff, and dies just not even reaching KLGB, while FSX-SE went all the way to KONT before starting to ping on approach, but made it all the way to landing. He did a similar test between FSX-SE and P3D, and while obviously he couldn't get the exact settings as FSX-SE because of difference in platform, that don't exist with FSX Box, he attempted to get as close as he could. In that video FSX-SE still held out longer but only marginally. The difference is P3D is $200 (I don't qualify for the academic version) while FSX-SE was $4.95 with not much different visuals, when FSX is ran on DX10. So pretty much it was a no brainer for me. I didn't link the videos because he used a non PMDG aircraft in them, but you can search by his user name or "FSX-SE vs P3D" (or FSX).

Tom Cain

I have never had an OOM error in FSX Classic since I installed the DX10 fixer. If you watch the videos you refer to you will see the difference in VAS usage in FSX:SE is only marginally lower. I am certainly not going to uninstall my nice stable FSX Classic for the steam edition. If DTG brought out a version that had a load of improvements I certainly would but they don't own the code unlike LM do with P3D. At the moment I'm distinctly unimpressed with DTG approach to how they have brought FSX:SE to the market. They seem to have developers like PMDG chasing their tails just to keep current products compatible! Considering how little difference there is between FSX & FSX:SE that shouldn't be the case. Well done PMDG for trying to sort out your products for the FSX:SE even if DTG haven't made life easy for you.

David Thwaites

Matt, as a fellow Aussie, did you know that Australian is considered the most "pure" of all the English languages by linguists?

Anyone happen to have any news? Supposed to be Wednesday, then Saturday, and then silence...again. 

:'(

Anyone happen to have any news? Supposed to be Wednesday, then Saturday, and then silence...again.

Give 'er two weeks and a wake up, we'll have her :-)

There is really no use in us asking. In the same boat as you. Can't wait to finally have the ngx in p3d. Been hitting f5 every 5 mins for the past week or so to no avail. If it were up to me, they'd never post anything about it until it's a release post. These posts that even hint at a timeline just make it worse. Would rather just log in one day and see it for sale rather than all this constant disappointment every day. :(

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024