Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[03MAR15] PMDG's First Product for XPlane...

Fabio,

Did you even read what I just posted? RSR's commentary basically says the following:

• We created the plane to test bringing our methodology and code into a new environment (XP).
  • We created the DC-6 because we're passionate about old planes big radials.
  • We know how the market works
Where, in any of that, says "we made it to sell it to a lot of people?"

In fact it almost says the opposite:

We made it because we wanted to make it, and needed something to test how we bring our logic onto a new platform.

Scandinavian, I'm just exercising my freedom of speech, please don't feel obliged to wade in to try to dictate what I can or cannot say, unless you feel that you must. It wouldn't be terribly constructive or a good use of our time.

I simply do not believe that every little thing thing that PMDG does is excellent. Much is good, but not all. For instance, their products to date, sublime, their support, first class, but their P3D pricing and their choice of initial XP product I'm not so keen on.

So to clarify, it is my opinion that their choice of aeroplane is misguided. Sure, it will be a thing of beauty, but perhaps not for all.

Should the DC-6 not generate sufficient interest, PMDG may not invest further in the platform, and XP'ers may ultimately lose out.

Scandinavian, what do you say, let's leave it there?

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

Nice to come home from a few days on the road (on the sea is more correct) and find this preview of PMDG's first X-Plane aircraft. Looking forward to it. I don't know if I am a vintage airplane guy, but I will sure try it out. Will be my first X-Plane purchase. Keep up the good work!  :BigGrin:

Stian Beinset

ENML

Great work PMDG! looking forward to see it in action and hear it on XP 64bit ...smooth fps!

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Awesome! Now we just need a decent weather engine and FS2Crew and Xplane will be complete. I'm amazed at how many Xplane people a being quite insulting towards the FSX people they want to come over to the Xplane platform.

David Thwaites

imagine DC6 hurtling down the sloped runways during dusk time when the xp night lighting starts on their show..

Well, I think here speaks mainly your personal disappointment, but don't speak for everybody.

At least I am very very happy about this choice.

Ahem, methinks SOH failure!

Yes, very disappointed, I had hoped for the fabled Dash 8 port-over.

I do enjoy flying radial engines aeroplanes, DC-2 and DC-3, though my JF DC-6 hasn't seen the light of day for ages.

Don't misunderstand me, I have a plethora of aeroplanes in FS2004, FSX, P3D, and XPX. And before that, going back all the way to the mid-1980's with Hercules green on black monochrome.

By now, I know what I like. And when I say disappointed, I'm not really, because it still amazes me what we can do on our PC's today, with scenery and aircraft fidelity that is overwhelmingly wonderful.

Just in this instance, I'd have liked a different aeroplane from PMDG.

Simples really.

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

Fabio,

Did you even read what I just posted? RSR's commentary basically says the following:

We created the plane to test bringing our methodology and code into a new environment (XP).

We created the DC-6 because we're passionate about old planes big radials.

We know how the market works

Where, in any of that, says "we made it to sell it to a lot of people?"

To be fair Kyle, RSR did previously say in the X-Plane Development post, that testing the X-Plane  market was one of the goals.

"PMDG are using this first project as a "sandbox" from which to try out new and varied techniques in order to deliver the type of quality simulation experience that is desired by PMDG customers currently using our products in FSX.

Upon completion of this project, we will evaluate the market demand and the Xplane platform's viability as a platform for future growth of our PMDG BAe JS4100, PMDG 737NGX, PMDG 777 and PMDG 747-400v2.0 product lines with an eye toward making these products available to Xplane users."

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thank you Tom.

And with that, gentlemen, I'll bid you good-day.

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

I'm not really a classic airliner kind of guy but I am old enough to have flown on a DC-6. I'll definitely jump on this as I believe if X-plane is going to continue to improve it's going to require that big name third party developers jump on board. There isn't a bigger name in flight simulation than PMDG. This will attract some folks who might not have given X-plane a second thought. I'm glad to see that PMDG will not use the sales of this aircraft to be a determining factor in further X-plane development. 

NAX669.png

does it have and FMC? :rolleyes: :lol:

If you check this screenshot : http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/DC6/XPL1/DC-6_Promo_MAR15_Screenshots_08.jpg you will notice that at the bottom is X-Plane's approach capable GPS unit. More info about his here: http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/03/new-approach-capable-gps-navigator-in-x-plane-10-30/

So, no one will be lost...in a Vatsim/IVAO/Pilotedge environment!

Also the database can be normally updated through Navigraph and Aerosoft's NavDataPro!

LES_signature_300px.png.fb92590eee91bc5f31a172293bd6014f.png

imagine DC6 hurtling down the sloped runways during dusk time when the xp night lighting starts on their show..

Please PMDG, could you post a screenshot showing the DC6 panel lighting within the beautiful XP night light environment!

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Should the DC-6 not generate sufficient interest, PMDG may not invest further in the platform, and XP'ers may ultimately lose out.

The name is Kyle. And no, I can't just leave it here.

Your posts intimate that you believe that we're using this as a product to evaluate the market. RSR has indicated that this is not true, and I have clarified this, but you seem to be ignoring it.

A couple things of note here:

Regarding your claim to freedom of speech, this is a private server:

Freedom Of Speech: AVSIM is not a democracy, and there is no such thing as "Freedom of Speech" in our forums. If you believe that you are entitled to that freedom without restriction and that you should be able to do and say as you please, then reconsider... Please do NOT register.

AVSIM Terms of Service/Use: http://forum.avsim.net/page/AVSIM%20Pages/terms_of_use.html

Regarding posting of factual information:

7) POSTS MUST BE FACTUAL: Messages containing incorrect or misleading information may be removed at the moderator's discretion.

PMDG Forum Rules: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361816-pmdg-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

I understand what you think is going on here, but as RSR and I have both mentioned, you're incorrect. We have stated the reasons why. Continuing to post under your misguided belief has the potential to mislead others who happen by this thread. Please pay attention to what we're writing instead of going off on wild tangents and baseless conjecture.

To be fair Kyle, RSR did previously say in the X-Plane Development post, that testing the X-Plane  market was one of the goals.

"PMDG are using this first project as a "sandbox" from which to try out new and varied techniques in order to deliver the type of quality simulation experience that is desired by PMDG customers currently using our products in FSX.

Upon completion of this project, we will evaluate the market demand and the Xplane platform's viability as a platform for future growth of our PMDG BAe JS4100, PMDG 737NGX, PMDG 777 and PMDG 747-400v2.0 product lines with an eye toward making these products available to Xplane users."

Tom Cain

I think RSR has made it very clear - as I have - that this project is being used because of the love of the plane and the need to test bringing our methodologies into a new sim. Despite your quoted post, nothing in there says "we will evaluate the market demand based on the sales of the DC-6."

That's not what it is for. This was stated, clearly, back on page 1. I'm not going to stand on the side and allow people to perpetuate that belief here. PMDG wouldn't be in the position it's in right now if we made it a habit of making terrible business decisions.

Let's all stop and think for 30 seconds.

Look back at the JS4100. That's a pretty niche plane that isn't very popular in the skies (even when it was released). Why was it made...? It was a testbed, and it was made because there was a personal passion attached to the product. Where did it go? From it, the NGX and the 777 were developed.

As RSR stated back on page 1: Not our first rodeo.

Sit back, relax, and know that we aren't going to release a niche aircraft into a sim and base all future decisions off of that. That would be - again, as RSR put it back on page 1 - foolish.

This is the end of the conspiracy theories, and I will not let them slide without being challenged here.

Kyle Rodgers

This should be good fun. Looking forward to some stick-and-rudder flying and some navaid navigation though I imagine it will take me hours to get the engines started first time around.

I'll be rereading Ernest Gann's Fate is the Hunter to get in the mood. 

If you check this screenshot : http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/DC6/XPL1/DC-6_Promo_MAR15_Screenshots_08.jpg you will notice that at the bottom is X-Plane's approach capable GPS unit. More info about his here: http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/03/new-approach-capable-gps-navigator-in-x-plane-10-30/

So, no one will be lost...in a Vatsim/IVAO/Pilotedge environment!

Also the database can be normally updated through Navigraph and Aerosoft's NavDataPro!

Since the DC-6 will come with a Sperry A-12 autopilot, I don't think it's going to be capable of GPS navigation, the provided GPS is probably only there as an aid to provide visual navigation guidance.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Scandinavian, I'm just exercising my freedom of speech, please don't feel obliged to wade in to try to dictate what I can or cannot say, unless you feel that you must. It wouldn't be terribly constructive or a good use of our time.

I simply do not believe that every little thing thing that PMDG does is excellent. Much is good, but not all. For instance, their products to date, sublime, their support, first class, but their P3D pricing and their choice of initial XP product I'm not so keen on.

So to clarify, it is my opinion that their choice of aeroplane is misguided. Sure, it will be a thing of beauty, but perhaps not for all.

FabioL, to add to Kyle's list of rules you have broken, I have a few to add:

1) ALL USERS MUST SIGN THEIR FULL NAME TO POSTS. Failure to adhere to this policy will result in your post being deleted without comment or followup by the forum moderators.

3) USE OF THIS FORUM IS NOT A RIGHT: Use of this forum is voluntary and constitutes your agreement to abide by all forum guidelines and moderator requests. Your failure to adhere to these guidelines could result in the removal of your posts, an invitation to cease using the forum, or outright banning.
8) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of PMDG pricing policies, refund policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, and any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator, AVSim moderator or staff member.

Source: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361816-pmdg-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

Edit: I just read your last post and am quite utterly disgusted by your complete lack of respect for Kyle. He asked you to call him Kyle and you blatantly ignored that request.