Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

X-plane 10.40 New Weather Engine?

My particular card is known for having bad performance with X-Plane (It's an ATI card). When I used to run both Windows and Mac on the same system (no emulation), X-Plane would run better on Mac than it would on the same laptop on Windows. No idea why.

Linux never worked for me. I tried to run it under Ubuntu, and performance was jerky, but it also caused graphical artificats and crashing problems. I don't blame Linux, I think it's just rubbish driver support for that platform. Nvidia are much better when it comes to their drivers for Linux.

@tony

Apple makes there own drivers. When I had the hackintosh non of the Nvidia were compatible. 

Apple does not give you much control that is my experience. 

AMD always breaks something. Nvidia drivers for windows are very good.

Yes Nvidia drivers in linux are good. 

Where has the WEATHER GONE ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Nvidia are much better when it comes to their drivers for Linux.

Yes, the NVidia side on Linux is quite good since many years (I use it since many years without big problems .... the driver team even fixed a crash I reported 5-6 years ago). I can definitely recommend it.

@tony

Apple makes there own drivers. When I had the hackintosh non of the Nvidia were compatible.

Apple does not give you much control that is my experience.

AMD always breaks something. Nvidia drivers for windows are very good.

Yes Nvidia drivers in linux are good.

Where has the WEATHER GONE ?

You don't have to use Apple's drivers as Nvidia constantly releases the latest drivers for Mac natively

Apple repack Nvidia/Amd drivers and distribute them with their os updates.

Amd drivers for Linux seem to catch up especially when we get Vulkan. Anyway the fastest AMD is about the same as a 2 years old Nvidia?

Apple only tries, as always, to have as much control as they can. Hence they repack Nvidia/Amd drivers and distribute them with their os updates. I think those online available Nvidia drivers (not on the official driver page) are older then those apple os updates. Only for older not updated osx, but I might be wrong.

Amd drivers for Linux seem to catch up especially when we get Vulkan. Anyway the fastest AMD is about the same as a 2 years old Nvidia?

Wrong on NVIDIA drivers.

They *are* on the drivers page (listed for Quadro 5000) and they are updated with every new Yosemite update and support the latest GTX 900 series GPU's.  (I'm using a GTX 980 Asus Strix myself)

Never heard of Quadro, what the difference of those to all others? Better X-Plane FPS? I remember OSX to support OpenGL 4 only since a few months, so I guess you will get Vulkan at least one year late.

Never heard of Quadro, what the difference of those to all others? What OpenGL version do they have? On Win/Linux ogl 4.5 is available since a while and 4 is history since year(s). I remember OSX to support OpenGL 4 only since a few months, so I guess you will get Vulkan at least one year late.

I have no idea the differences - That's a question for NVIDIA

All I know is they update extremely quickly (like 1-2 days) whenever Yosemite gets an update and they support their latest GPU's in the same fashion.

That's the only point I'm making.  Superb NVIDIA support for Mac if you ask me.

A very stormy weather building up

Is there supposed to be a photo?

LOL you didn't understand.

No I did not - Please enlighten me.   :mellow:

The thread 

Quadro however seems the perfect card for Vulkan as it will support multiple GPUs, even across vendors. For ex. it should use my Nvidia GTX770 but also my integrated Intel graphics simultaneously. So I expect that I can use my current PC for longer than my usual 5 years.