Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

Just found an interesting thing, using the built-in monitor tool in NI I checked my GPU load with P3Dv2.5 running and the GPU load was constantly at 99%

To me that would indicate P3D indeed does make very good use of the GFX card which in turn would mean upgrading to a faster GPU maybe isn't such a bad idea after all or am I missing something obvious here...?

Richard Åsberg

Congrats Rob, waiting in anticipation. :)

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

Just found an interesting thing, using the built-in monitor tool in NI I checked my GPU load with P3Dv2.5 running and the GPU load was constantly at 99%

To me that would indicate P3D indeed does make very good use of the GFX card which in turn would mean upgrading to a faster GPU maybe isn't such a bad idea after all or am I missing something obvious here...?

99% GPU Load means that your gpu is on the limit of his power.

you can buy a newer and better gpu or just decrease your settings.

its better to have 30%-40% left of gpu load.

99% GPU Load means that your gpu is on the limit of his power.

you can buy a newer and better gpu or just decrease your settings.

its better to have 30%-40% left of gpu load.

I do understand what 99% means, more that I was surprised by the high load since I didn't think the GFX card was used that much. After all that's what this thread is all about how much performance increase you could expect getting a faster GFX card such as the new GTX Titan X.

Most people including myself have figured you probably won't see that much of an improvement unless you're using a very high resolution and/or high AA settings. In my case neither of those are true and still I see this high load...hmm...

Guess this is both good and bad...good to see in what degree P3D in fact is utilizing the GFX card and bad considering the hole in my wallet a new Titan X would bring :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Congrats Rob!!  I too will be waiting to hear how that card performs!!

Looks great Rob.

Let them test results come....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Rob, could you please test Titan X with 4xDSR (7680x4320?)  at 4K? That's the thing I'm really hoping for buying a Titan X. My current GTX980 just doesn't cut for high quality AA at 4K. And, would be nice to see that the P3D engine can run at 8K resolution...

Thanks!

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I'm at 72% GPU utilization with these settings: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_Titan_X_4K_Set.html  WITH the addition of changing Terrain Shadow cast distance from 0 to 80,000m

Terrain Shadows don't seem to impact performance much.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, could you please test Titan X with 4xDSR (7680x4320?)  at 4K?

I'll test DSR out later, but it will most likely require I run at 30Hz refresh rather than 60Hz.  Also need to test out MFAA.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm at 72% GPU utilization with these settings: 

Terrain Shadows don't seem to impact performance much.

Cheers, Rob.

OK, guess that must be because of your new Titan X card :good:

Good to know and might convince me to upgrade my own Titan to a Titan X further down the road depending on what performance I'll manage to achieve with my current setup once I have everything in place.

Richard Åsberg

And im going crazy cause I got a 970GTX in the mail SMH. I am dissapointed in my self lol :ph34r: . With my flight training I cant afford a 1000 card.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

With my flight training I cant afford a 1000 card.

Well I can't make the time to complete my PPL ... I think it'll be the longest "training" I've ever done.

Cheers, Rob.

Good to know and might convince me to upgrade my own Titan to a Titan X further down the road depending on what performance I'll manage to achieve with my current setup once I have everything in place.

It's worth the upgrade IMHO ... I'm running YCbCr444 at 60Hz 4K and locking to 30 FPS in P3D ... this seems to provide the best time between frames experience (very very consistent).

It's looking good for future hardware on both CPU/GPU front ... as I can see we'll easily hit good FPS numbers and the visual limits will now be VAS limits.  Good position to be in given the on going LM development of the platform and a future 64bit version.

Exciting times ahead.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: still not entirely sure of the purpose to have 12GB VRAM?  Even with SGSS AA or DSR I can't see the need ... but maybe nVidia will release a baby Titan X with 6GB for less?  I know nVidia have 24GB VRAM cards for CAD and animation work, I can see the need for that with 8192 on up textures, but for gaming/simulations?

It's worth the upgrade IMHO ... I'm running YCbCr444 at 60Hz 4K and locking to 30 FPS in P3D ... this seems to provide the best time between frames experience (very very consistent).

It's looking good for future hardware on both CPU/GPU front ... as I can see we'll easily hit good FPS numbers and the visual limits will now be VAS limits.  Good position to be in given the on going LM development of the platform and a future 64bit version.

Exciting times ahead

Yep, I'll definitely consider an upgrade down the road and I fully agree with you...exciting times ahead indeed for all us flight simmers!

Rob, maybe you already mentioned it but what CPU do you have? Looking at such a fast GFX card as the Titan X what CPU you have and what speed is running I guess will start to be very important to be able to make full use of the GFX card's potential.

Richard Åsberg

still not entirely sure of the purpose to have 12GB VRAM?

I'm not sure Rob, but I think these cards are becoming popular for their computing power alone.   They are mini super-computers after all.

Wonder how much of a difference it would be going from a 780ti 3gb?

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.