Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

Wonder how much of a difference it would be going from a 780ti 3gb?

HUGE

Rich Sennett

EDIT: still not entirely sure of the purpose to have 12GB VRAM?  Even with SGSS AA or DSR I can't see the need ... but maybe nVidia will release a baby Titan X with 6GB for less?  I know nVidia have 24GB VRAM cards for CAD and animation work, I can see the need for that with 8192 on up textures, but for gaming/simulations?

Another interesting factoid regarding the Titan X is that in order for nVidia to cram 50% extra graphics-related components on the 28 nm GM200, they had to gut the FP stuff (CUDA). This doesn't matter for our brand of flight simming, but it takes the Titan X out of the realm of being a so-called "prosumer" graphics card.

I assume that these monster cards are only really needed for multi monitor super high resolution displays? The reason I say that is because my 2GB GeForce GTX 770 appears to be doing just fine running P3D v2.4 at 1810x1448 DSR on my single 19" 4:3 monitor.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have seen in several benchmarks that this Titan X has 1.5x the performance of an older GTX Titan.

As I have 2 olders versions in SLI and NV Surround I made some benchmarkflights with this config first and then the same flights with a single GTX Titan .

And both setups had 3 screens connected and a resolution of 5920x1080.

The SLI setup had 30-40% more framerate in heavy situations and 20-25% in general.

So this new Titan X is about 10-15% more powerfull on its own then my SLI setup.....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I posted this link to benchmarks of various high end graphics cards in another thread (with qualifiers that  the references to unreleased cards could be fakery):

Leaked benchmarks and specs for the AMD R9 390X and the cut down 6GB GM200 which is referred to in the article as an nVidia GTX 980 Ti:

http://wccftech.com/.../#ixzz3UTbJwXjN

I am curious how this card perform in X-plane 10. I was hoping Rob had a copy hidden somewhere....

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I have seen in several benchmarks that this Titan X has 1.5x the performance of an older GTX Titan.

As I have 2 olders versions in SLI and NV Surround I made some benchmarkflights with this config first and then the same flights with a single GTX Titan .

And both setups had 3 screens connected and a resolution of 5920x1080.

The SLI setup had 30-40% more framerate in heavy situations and 20-25% in general.

So this new Titan X is about 10-15% more powerfull on its own then my SLI setup.....

Thanks for sharing, very interesting test!

Not sure if I understand your math though because you say the SLI setup gave you better performance but yet you say at the end the Titan X is more powerful on it's own?

Richard Åsberg

I have seen in several benchmarks 

Yes very good information and summary

Rich Sennett

Hi Rob and all.

Been contemplating a 4K TV to replace my 3 X 30in screen setup but the Oculus Rift is taking my interest now that asynchronous timewarp seems to be helping with performance. (30fps)

I have the Titan Black (factory OC edition) which I will replace with the Titan X if I knew it would give better frame rates. Heavy Clouds, big airports and lots of AI bring my frames down to 20ish with my current 3 screen setup. (6044 X 1080)

Do you think we're still a long way off successfully using the Rift?

If I go the TV option is using a single screen 4 K TV like just having a single monster screen or do you successfully zoom out to get that surround effect we get from the 3 screen setup. (hate the fisheye effect tho)

thanks for your wisdom and informative posts

iceman

I am curious how this card perform in X-plane 10. I was hoping Rob had a copy hidden somewhere....

Yes I do have a copy, but didn't install it after my recent new PC build ... probably will not have time this month to test XP10 out but I'm sure other's who use XP10 as primary sim will have a Titan X report for ya.

Cheers, Rob.

Do you think we're still a long way off successfully using the Rift?

Occulus has very low resolution 960 x 1080 so I'm pretty sure a Titan X can drive Occulus at 75Hz at those resolutions.  I'm getting very close to 60 fps with high graphics settings and 4K.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for sharing, very interesting test!

Not sure if I understand your math though because you say the SLI setup gave you better performance but yet you say at the end the Titan X is more powerful on it's own?

Two older GTX Titan cards in SLI and NV Surround have 30-40% more fps than a single GTX Titan.

The new Titan X is according to several benchmarktests 1.5x more powerfull than the older GTX Titan.

Therefore the new Titan X , on it's own, is about 10-15% more powerfull than my GTX Titan SLI combo.

For me there are 2 options :

- stay with my SLI setup and wait for the NVidia SLI driver to get an even better performance. Then there is no need to upgrade.

- sell my SLI combo and buy a Titan X ( will cost me 200-250 euro extra ). And after a year or so buy one extra for SLI , if there is a NVidia SLI driver by then....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Occulus has very low resolution 960 x 1080
 The consumer version is due early fall, will have at least an ultraHD resolution.  The current developer kit has 1080, and the current prototype "crescent bay" is said to be quadHD.  Samsung's Gear VR, in partnership with Oculus, is at quadHD.  

Two older GTX Titan cards in SLI and NV Surround have 30-40% more fps than a single GTX Titan.

The new Titan X is according to several benchmarktests 1.5x more powerfull than the older GTX Titan.

Therefore the new Titan X , on it's own, is about 10-15% more powerfull than my GTX Titan SLI combo.

For me there are 2 options :

- stay with my SLI setup and wait for the NVidia SLI driver to get an even better performance. Then there is no need to upgrade.

- sell my SLI combo and buy a Titan X ( will cost me 200-250 euro extra ). And after a year or so buy one extra for SLI , if there is a NVidia SLI driver by then....

Ah, now I'm with you.

Nice to see the performance increase is that high in SLI and I'm a bit surprised without any real SLI support in P3D as I understood it but guess the multiple screens and high resolution is the reason.

I'm using a single screen and 1920x1080 so I guess in my case I would be better off replacing my current Titan with a Titan X rather than getting a second Titan...at least as long as there's no real SLI support in P3D.

Richard Åsberg

Ah, now I'm with you.

Nice to see the performance increase is that high in SLI and I'm a bit surprised without any real SLI support in P3D as I understood it but guess the multiple screens and high resolution is the reason.

I'm using a single screen and 1920x1080 so I guess in my case I would be better off replacing my current Titan with a Titan X rather than getting a second Titan...at least as long as there's no real SLI support in P3D.

You are right. When buying a second GTX Titan my fps went up by almost 30%. Surely because of the multi monitor setup.Setting it to SLI gave another 10% boost.

With real SLI it would have been 80-90% more fps....   (  Nvidia do you hear me ... ? ... !  :( )

If I were in you shoes I would sell the current Titan Black and buy a Titan X.

With just 1 monitor there is no reason the buy a second Titan Black.

A second hand Titan Black goes for about 600-650 euro these days and the same amount of money you will have to pay extra for a new Titan X after having sold your Titan Black..... 

You are right. When buying a second GTX Titan my fps went up by almost 30%. Surely because of the multi monitor setup.Setting it to SLI gave another 10% boost.

With real SLI it would have been 80-90% more fps.... ( Nvidia do you hear me ... ? ... ! :( )

If I were in you shoes I would sell the current Titan Black and buy a Titan X.

With just 1 monitor there is no reason the buy a second Titan Black.

A second hand Titan Black goes for about 600-650 euro these days and the same amount of money you will have to pay extra for a new Titan X after having sold your Titan Black.....

Yep, think I'll give a Titan X a go when they hit the shelves here in Sweden which would be by the end of this month. There's a good store with a generous return policy where I'll be able to return the card if I'm not happy with it and in this price range I want to be REALLY happy to keep the card.

As for SLI support strange why Nvidia isn't doing anything about it so far. I wonder if LM contacted them about this? With a product like P3D that is continuously developed and improved with an increasing user base I think it would be in interest for Nvidia. But maybe the user base is still far too small compared to other game titles and that's why they don't find it worth the effort...

Richard Åsberg