Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

DoveTail Games: Vague, But Hopeful, Details on the Next Flight Simulator

But I do stand by my dead horse comment

It does seem of late many members are actively trying to stop debate on here.  You can even predict which threads these people will show up on, anything regarding Dovetail, any on P3D EULA etc...

Ian R Tyldesley

Yip, I was in agreement with Mark re zzzzzzz'ing.

I'll try unflogging that poor horse now.

Strangely, there WAS a horse addon in FS9! A black one if I remember.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Let's move the discussion from myself to the content of the thread, the new flight game of Dovetail.

What does the average flight simmer want from a modern flight sim ? I gueass everybody agrees, to a certain degree.

1) 64 bits

2) DirectX12

3) Open to whatever 3rd party addons like FSX

4) presence of GA planes, jets, choppers and gliders

5) a decent ATC, usage of a professional FMC with SIDs and STARs, ILS, etc.

How come Dovetail released many official statements both on their website and on their Facebook counterpart without anyone of these fundamental prerequisite ? The only subject has been :

1) it will be based on MS Flight award winning franchise, therefore or DX9 and 32 bit rusty and buried FSX engine or DX11 and 32 bit obsolete Flight engine arcade pooh pooh stuff

2) Dovetail will develop and use its own technology. How comes it will use Unreal Engine 4.9 for their fishing stuff and Train Simulator 2016 and not a single word on the engine of their new flight sim ??? Because that's tha same old, dusty and ancient relic called " 32bit engine used for MS Flight ". Both scenarios are dramatically pathetic

3) Why Dovetail does that ? Because Dovetail games CEO Paul Jackson explained that they already did that for the original ( abandoned by MS ) RailRoad Simulator, later became Train Simulator bought by Dovetail Games from Microsoft. Dovetail eventually did the same for the abandoned Flight, they have bought and reusing the same Flight engine to " develop " an " own " enigne for flight game, They are doing exactly the same for Flight and its ancient 32bit Dovetail sequel.

I may go on on producing elements to think about but now, after this serious speech, I would like to end with a proof. " It has just leaked an original picture of Dovetail flight team brainstorming session where a pilot is teaching to Dovetail flight senior developers how to master a modern jet with all the necessary knowledge "

Dovetail_Flight.jpg

At last! Thank you for confirming that the Holy Grail IS out there..& for for the proof of  DTG's target market!

Oh, by the way, what are we getting 64 bits of?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

At last! Thank you for confirming that the Holy Grail IS out there..& for for the proof of  DTG's target market!

Oh, by the way, what are we getting 64 bits of?

Pre-made sentences apart, are you able to elaborate further your thoughts on the new flight game beside answering with slogans and questions ? 

Or do you prefer to say " let's wait and see " ?  The most banal sentence in the world that is always good for whatever thing happens in life.

Actually, without any info & only speculation available, you cannot really have thoughts on a new flight game that we know nothing about. Having a wish list... yes of course.

So, what we do know for sure is that there will be a release of a game from Dovetail in the future sometime. It will be based, maybe, of some undetermined flight technology from Microsoft. This could be any flight technology as used in one of their combat sims, FS9, or even Flight! They are already, as we know, re-distributing a modded version of FSX of which they have the re-distribution license for.

We know that, as DTG releases through Steam, their target market is gamers, a far larger market than simmers.So, it is pretty obvious that, if DTG really wants to monetize their releases, including their Fishing & Train games, they will target the masses.

As so much has been said about what simmers/gamers are wanting from DTG's new future release, it  is difficult to come up with something original that we would like, so I'm not going to add more wants & wishes into the 'Holy Grail' pool.

Just remember, a 64bit release will be problematic as add-ons will have to be re-written etc.

I reall pity the poor developers who now have to decide on developing for a new sim, for FSX, FSX:SE, P3D, even FS2004 has add-ons being released, & X-Plane.

Are we getting fragmentation? Or just new choices?

Sigh!!

I'm actually really still, after all these years, enjoying my FS2004, where we have freeware scenery & aircraft for our region here in South Africa.

Will all our 'wishes' make us fly better?

Mmmm, dunno, last Saturday, we had 6 guys flying formations of Avro Shackletons (these flew from the air Force base, Ysterplaat, FAYP, in real life)

This we cannot do in FSX, FSX:SE, P3D or any other sim!

So, what do we actually want, apart from 64 bits of ??

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Yes what we are having at this point is very little information is there, things like a job posting or a comment made by an employee, etc, which leads to speculation of what all of this means followed by a doomsday scenario. I can understand the reasons for this as we are probably the most let down genre out there at the moment for a new release so it is easy to create these sky is falling scenarios.

I come on here to see if there is anything solid and new information like a press release would be great, or a demo, short of that I am making a point of not commenting on what is reading into things and speculating. I will keep on checking to see if anything solid comes out and hopefully there is something in it for me, but also ready to stick it out with FSX or P3D for a while to come if necessary.

Matthew Kane

Well, the job posting was in April & some of us are still speculating about that.

A doomsday scenario because we do not have information about some game that is/may be released in the future?

So, as far as being part of 'the most let down genre' ... there are hundreds of freeware & payware developers out there that support us & give us stunning add-ons, & have not let us down.

Probably the best way to check for press releases or new info would be to join Dovetail's forum, if they have one. or maybe Steams?

It is pretty obvious, that by joining a forum that has a title that includes words like vague but hopeful in it, that's what you are going to get!

But, do not get disheartened, keep on looking & flying FSX & P3D. Maybe even Fs9. There are gems in all of them.

Oh, do not forget X-Plane, if you want 64bits.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Actually, without any info & only speculation available, you cannot really have thoughts on a new flight game that we know nothing about. Having a wish list... yes of course.

So, what we do know for sure is that there will be a release of a game from Dovetail in the future sometime. It will be based, maybe, of some undetermined flight technology from Microsoft. This could be any flight technology as used in one of their combat sims, FS9, or even Flight! They are already, as we know, re-distributing a modded version of FSX of which they have the re-distribution license for.

We know that, as DTG releases through Steam, their target market is gamers, a far larger market than simmers.So, it is pretty obvious that, if DTG really wants to monetize their releases, including their Fishing & Train games, they will target the masses.

Your thought is now clear and elaborated, appreciated, thanks.

I think anyway to see that one way or another you came to the same conclusions I wrote, Dovetail new Flight game won't be a simulator but a game and it will be 32 bit. 

Please correct me if I understood it wrong.

So, now the last step. If you like flight simulation and dovetail is going to release a game instead and in addition based on an ancient technology, what is your feeling ? Your real feeling I mean.

If you are brave enough to express it here and if you dare to let your thought flow freely you will write that Dovetail games must immediately change the word " simulator " with the word " toys r us ". 

I don't like to be jerked around by a wanna be software house which manipulates words to obtain profit from a game for kids and selling it like it was a new simulator. I am against this ######ing behaviour

I'm brave & very happy to say that I really do not care what they call it.

They call their Fishing game a simulator & their Train game a simulator as well, so they can call the flying game a simulator if they want to. Maybe that will attract more gamers to try it.

I agree with you, DTG's release will be a game & 32 bit.

We all know, or should know that it's a game that simulates a simulator.

I have been shouted down many times when I say that, FS9 & FSX was developed by ACES Gaming Studio, sold in toy shops, have a warning on the box that they are suitable for ages 3+, & it's sold for entertainment, call it what you will!

Ancient technology still works for me, my team & my students at our VA club, where we have 30 PC's linked, fly on-line, have instructions, lessons, navigation exersizes & even discuss & simulate air crashes, all using FS9 & FSX!

Oh, with ancient technology, we have also built 2x simulators, an Avro Shackleton & an Aeromacchi MB326, known here in South Africa as an Impala & was used as a trainer. We are using FS9 for the sims.

So, ancient technology, with it's easy of use on normal PC's actually work!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Why do some posters seem expect that they a right to be told about DTG's plans?

DTG will develop what it wants to develop in its own interest and in its own timescale.

+1. It's the nature of simmers. Microsoft has let us down, betrayed us, wada, wada, wada, has been bandied about. With demands, petitions, etc.

Sigh!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Why do some posters seem expect that they a right to be told about DTG's plans?

DTG will develop what it wants to develop in its own interest and in its own timescale.

Here come the banal guy, as usual in these cases.

I am entitled to comment Dovetail press releases statements and if I find them simply ridiculous and based on a game made for kids I am free to express my comments, of course in a polite way and respecting forum rules and forumers.

Told that, @ Wobbie, FSX...FS9.... Aces Gaming Studios...those were times where the talent was shining bright...nowdays everybody seems to have lost the talent in favor of Facebook chats and social software. I still prefer to have a beer in a pub if I want to be " social ".

It is just like comparing Jimi Hendrix to today's boy bands, convinced to know how to play a guitar....kids...just like Dovetails games persons and products made of PLASTIC. Cosmetic marketing stuff directed and driven by Microsoft.

In the next posts I will comment about Joshua Howard, the main responsible about Flight fiasco, therefore the master of puppets of Dovetail Flight new game. Be P3D mgh.

I think noone expected a serious sim, i mean they call their train simulator a sim :)

Dovetail make arcade sims, they always have and always will. And I think it is perfectly fine and the best business outcome for them possible.

Flightsimming is a niche market, in fact it is so niche that European Truck Simulator or Train Simulator has a bigger following than Flightsim ;) Now in this small market there is another smaller market, the serious civilian flightsim market that we are in, and that is pretty much split between FSX/P3D/X-Plane. What logical idea would it make to place a fourth sim that tries to take the market share from others and convince users to switch their highly invested plattform ?

Dovetail go for the bigger market the casual market and they have a place to. I have a very pro gaming circle of friend and they chuckle at my passion for flightsimming and to what extent i go to. They like the idea of flying around, but laugh at me when i fly an 20 minutes approach by charts which i pay 20 bucks for each month. We are not the benchmark, we think we are, but we are not.

Secondly the flightsimming is a very closed circle, that you activley have to search for and decide for yourself beforehand that you want to do it. People laugh at X-Plane Mobile, but it is a aracde simulator that runs on ipads/androids. It is no full blown simulator but it acts as an opening to the world of simming and according to Laminar they get alot of people through this methods to buy X-Plane desktop. People that never would have known about their passion for flight simming got brought into the community.

Now I see the Dovetail Simulator in the same way as I see x-plane mobile. It is a great tool to open our community to the general public, we dont need more serious sim plattforms we need more casual ones that spark interest and keeps young blood comming into the community. If they are unsatisfied with the level of simulation in the dovetail version, the first thing they do is browse steam and boom they have x-plane or fsx for download.

Of course this is not really well preceived in this, let's face it, elitist group but it is a great way of advancing. For me i hope it gets as successfull as possible