Sign in to follow this  
KenG

MV B350i A2.150304 Crash to Desktop

Anyone else getting crash to desktop after installing this product?

Since installing I am getting an abundance of CTD based on the G2D.dll error which was not present prior to installing this product. The only difference in my setup is the MV B350i.

I am using FSX Boxed edition with acceleration.

I am thinking it may have something to do with text in the FMS or the MFD that is causing a buffer overflow. I will try the same route in a different aircraft (non MV B350i) and see if I can get the same overflow to happen.

Just to be clear, as I know how ultra-sensitive the MV team is on anything they believe is criticism of their product, I am starting with the most likely product (the one I last installed.) I am simply trying to sort out what is going on and see if I am the only one experiencing a particular CTD  after installing a product. I understand that the product is unfinished and I am NOT asking the MV Team for any help. Looking to the user community on this one.

Thank you,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Ken, 

I've never experienced any CTD issues with the B350i on FSX, Win 7/64. Due to lack of progress updates and "its ready when its ready" status for about three years now, I have not used it for several months. 

Les Parson

Hello Ken,

I had a lot of ctd on older builds, but the latest one (the one you reference, from early march) seemed to solved them all for me.

I don’t have very complex airports/scenery so am not specially prone to ooms... but the ka350 seems to behave similarly to other payware planes.

Just a quick check: do these ctd happen only with the ka? If not, look elsewhere, no milviz modules are loaded until you load the plane.

Fred

Are you using the product when you CTD?  or is the ctd happening even when not using it?

Nothing we have put out there would be causing a CTD unless our products are being used....

Les, your email has been bouncing and so we have not been able to update you on any products.  If you have another mail, please send it to me by PM.  

Hello Ken,
I had a lot of ctd on older builds, but the latest one (the one you reference, from early march) seemed to solved them all for me.
I don’t have very complex airports/scenery so am not specially prone to ooms... but the ka350 seems to behave similarly to other payware planes.

Just a quick check: do these ctd happen only with the ka? If not, look elsewhere, no milviz modules are loaded until you load the plane.

Fred

Fred,

This error has so far only appeared using the Milviz B350i. I am going to repeat one of the flights over the same route using a different aircraft to see if it happens. This happens after load and usually in flight. Since it is the 2D library causing it I am thinking the FMS as that is the main 2D item I am using.

Are you using the product when you CTD?  or is the ctd happening even when not using it?

Nothing we have put out there would be causing a CTD unless our products are being used....

Les, your email has been bouncing and so we have not been able to update you on any products.  If you have another mail, please send it to me by PM.  

Yes, So far only the B350i has caused the crash. I am going back today and try a different aircraft on the same route and try to use the same number of 2D popups. Maybe it is conflicting SIMConnect injects that is causing a 2D text buffer overflow. FSX can be so sensitive at times

I am not sure what your second statement is in reference to. I am a registered user, but this is still Alpha software, by its very definition this is to be expected.

Update: Same exact flight, same add-ons loaded, different airplane no crash to desktop. Sorry but this is looking more like a problem with the aircraft.

am I correct in understanding that the Milviz Kingair does not do WAAS/LPV approaches? I know Milviz made a post about this about a year ago saying that they did not intend on making the plane compatible for those approach types but I was just curious if they have stuck to that, or if they changed their minds?

Also did a couple of test flights, playing more with the fms, and got the same crash once (G2d.dll). I was using vnav and had the 2d popup open during most of the flight.

So on my system, it happens as well, but very low occurrence...

Let’s hope a new build is delivered soon, not just for the bug fixing: there are so many new features long awaited!

Thank you. I think I had the same, 2D FMS open and consistent crash. Not just once, but repeatable. It acts like a buffer overflow. I can't make it happen at a particular point, but eventually it always happens with this product.

There are allot of bugs in this build. I have over three pages of issues I have found. Most have to do with poor operation of the FGS. There are also multiple systems errors (lots of caution-advisory lights that indicate incorrect, electrical system problems, ect.)

I started to compare performance versus the 2014 AFM charts, but these CTD have gotten in the way. Lower altitudes the torque and fuel flow seem to be on, upper altitudes the propellers have a problem maintaining set RPM. (sluggish prop?!?) I have seen this same FDE issue some time in the past, I just cannot remember which product. But, I remember working with another developer on propeller issues at altitude.

By the response above, "Nothing we have put out there would be causing a CTD unless our products are being used...." looks like Milviz is not even willing to consider their product is causing CTD. That is ashame.

I don't care about WAAS/LPV approaches, I'd just like to be able to couple the FGS to the PGS and fly a plain old LNAV/VNAV approach. I have not been able to get the FGS to couple to the PGS on an RNAV approach. Not sure if its buttonology or bug as the real equipment I have access to has dual FMS 3000s attached to the Pro Line 21 birds. The Universal UNS-1F is attached to a different avionics suite. I have contacts that work at Universal Avionics so I can ask them.

We're looking at this bug, however it's extremely unlikely that our product would be causing a fault like this if its not actually running. One way to verify that is to uninstall it. If the bug still happens, then it's not us. If it doesn't, then perhaps it is...

What's FGS and PGS?

Just FYI, the product is not even a beta yet. Keeping a log of what works and what doesn't work might be effort better spent elsewhere. It's probably safe to assume that the more complex the system being simulated in the aircraft, the more likely that it is not finished or has bugs.

I purchased the B350i eyes wide open for the discount. Whenever it doesn't work right (rarely), is a result of my pushing the current build beyond it's current capabilities.

The FDE is marvelous!

Flight Guidance System and I thing PGS is Pilot Guidance System... though I could be wrong.

We're looking at this bug.

What's FGS and PGS?

FGS - Per the Pro-line 21 Base Manual for the King Air aircraft page 7-1.

The Flight Guidance System (FGS) provides Flight Director, Autopilot, Yaw Damper, automatic pitch trim, and Rudder Boost (B300 only) functions.

PGS - Sorry that is Universal Lingo meaning Psudo Glide Slope. It would more accurately be described as FMS Glide Slope as described on page 325 of the Universal Operator's Training Manual.

From the navigation database as part of the approach definition is vertical navigation. The FMS uses barometric altimeter inputs through the air data computer to monitor the altitude of the aircraft relative to the defined approach glidepath or glideslope. The definition for the approach vertical navigation is computed by first starting at the runway threshold crossing altitude, then computing an angle that will pass through the final approach fix database altitude. This angle is used to project a glideslope over the approach pseudo localizer or final approach course. The intent of this glideslope is to guide the aircraft towards the runway threshold to cross at the threshold crossing altitude. For any approach with the final approach course in line with the runway, an attempt will be made to code a vertical path.

Ken is aware of that. His problem is that we're not doing a full on Collins 3000 FMS study sim. As well, we've refused to fix most, if not all of his bugs due the fact that they are, for most part, just not on in terms of time. We are no longer fixing anything except the rnav issues in the FMS. I have offered to refund his money but he has not accepted instead preferring to keep on commenting on how "bad" the product is in different locations.

This isn't a study sim. We're not charging 100$ for this product and yes, it's an alpha.

@Ken, this forum is moderated by MV and is therefore subject to the same rules and rulings of the MV forums.

If you have bugs relating to the cautions or electrical, feel free to post them in the support forums, as I previously suggested to you.

Ken is aware of that. His problem is that we're not doing a full on Collins 3000 FMS study sim. As well, we've refused to fix most, if not all of his bugs due the fact that they are, for most part, just not on in terms of time. We are no longer fixing anything except the rnav issues in the FMS. I have offered to refund his money but he has not accepted instead preferring to keep on commenting on how "bad" the product is in different locations.

This isn't a study sim. We're not charging 100$ for this product and yes, it's an alpha.

@Ken, this forum is moderated by MV and is therefore subject to the same rules and rulings of the MV forums.

If you have bugs relating to the cautions or electrical, feel free to post them in the support forums, as I previously suggested to you.

I never asked for a study sim, you incorrectly assumed and have continued to make presumptions on what I want or am looking for based on your prejudices. For clarification I was looking for a PMDG level quality product of the King Air with Pro Line 21 avionics.

I was waiting for the next build before making a decision on the refund. Again I thank you and greatly appreciate the offer. 

It is ashame that you consider to think of critique as bad mouthing your product. There are so many nice points to this product, but I cannot use a product that causes CTD. At this point, if you take the time to read what I have written without jumping to conclusions the only common point to my CTD is your product is in use. I am not blaming your product as I am aware it could be other things going on. But, insofar as my ability to see what is happening it is coincidental you product was in use every time I had this particular issue. I understand if you can not duplicate this on your end.

For clarification, you told me to send you my bug list but never provided a method in which I was suppose to do so. I assumed by your consistent negative tone you are really not interested.

I admit to diverging this topic on the discussion of RNAV approaches. I also admitted what I was unable to perform may be based on buttonlolgy. However, I think it would unfortunate if this product is released and is unable to perform coupled RNAV approaches to at least LNAV/VNAV minimums. Ultimately what a developer decides to release or not release is based on their own decisions of time management versus cost benefit. I would just hate to have a product that missed out in this area considering the sheer number of RNAV approaches to a DA. If you believe that this capability is not necessary in your product, then that is fine. I will from here forward refrain on commenting on RNAV approaches.

I suggest allowing another one of your teammembers continue discussions with me, if you should consider to do so. You and I seem to be unable to hold a discussion without misconstrued ideas of what is trying to be conveyed.

Finally, I think you have a great product. I love the King Air and have been flying it for well over 15 years. I am very fortunate to be able to teach the next generation to fly this wonderful airplane. Your product has so much capability and I can hardly wait to see it in its finished format. I would not waste one word if it was garbage.  What you think of as bad mouthing is actually passion.

Ken, I've read every word you've written and have taken it onboard as well. Rest assured that you are not simply "talking to the hand."

Please do be aware though that it has been quite awhile since a build has been released, so many things mentioned have already been fixed, or are in the process of being fixed, or in some few cases have to be set aside as unworkable at this time.

We maintain a database of "bugs" via Mantis just so reported issues from our internal team of testers -as well as pre-release customers- can be recorded. It is our goal to have a clean sheet in Mantis whenever the KA-350i is ready to actually enter the beta phase, at which time I will not be terribly surprised if a few more 'bugs' crop up to repopulate our Mantis database. :Thinking:

To be crystal, the only reason we haven't yet hit beta is because we are still adding features.  None of these are FMS related (except for RNAV) but they are pretty cool and will make the product one of it's kind.

Good discussion.  I've been very interested in getting this Kingair, maybe at the next Alpha build.  How big a discount does the current price represent? Personally I felt that Kent's posts are informative and only help increase my interest in this product.

We're uncertain about pricing at this point.

Thanks for the response.  Do you make public announcements regarding new alpha build releases? I just want to be on the look out for it.

Two add-ons running at the same time and I can reproduce the crash 100% of the time. Milviz B350i and FSCaptain 1.6.2.

I have no idea why or what as I continue to get G2D.DLL as the cause. I have run both of these separately and can run without crashes. 

Source
Microsoft Flight Simulator®

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎6/‎1/‎2015 8:19 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:    G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH