Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Trainz: New Era

Well, with the virtual world domination of Train Simulator, you hardly ever hear very much about the competition. Run 8 is pretty much for the hardcore, and so has only a tiny share of the market, and Trainz has had also-ran status for a very long time. Now Trainz is back, after a modest kickstarter, and has released Trainz, new era, in a bid to recapture some lost ground.

Essentially its a total overhaul of the Trainz franchise, leapfrogging DTG to the next-gen graphics plateau and introducing a much friendlier playstyle than before, while retaining some of the details that made it a bit more intricate than Train simulator. DTG is working to make the jump with its own graphical overhaul, so we'll see what happens, but meanwhile, maybe the race will even out a bit with a contender that is working hard to regain some lost relevance. Worth a look, for train fans!!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

i own it and it's just ok.  Don't even bother buying it if you have a weak CPU/GPU.  I can only run it maxed out on a 4gb 980.  TS2015 still looks better.

To me Trainz is OK but tends to have a toy-town look about it -while DTG's Train Simulator seems much more realistic...so much so that when I 'drove' the TS-2014's 'UK east-cost mainline' a while back..every turn I took, and every station I pulled into, looked and felt like the 'real-life' journeys I'd made many times before.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/47_fdPS-gZA/maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know Devon, reviews seem very mixed...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315660/

I think its called a "troubled" release. Honestly its not surprising. They are a tiny company with a very limited income stream compared to DTG, that took on the task of designing their own graphics engine, after a kickstarter that only brought in a few hundred thousand dollars. The overall Steam review is "mixed" which is exactly the same as Train simulator.

Its been out about a month, and updates are addressing issues found, so stay tuned. http://steamcommunity.com/games/315660/announcements/detail/160222011437543263

My take on it is that a lot of what you are hearing stems from what I call "Maxed-out-itis" issues, which should be familiar to FSX users. New people crank up the graphics to the absolute max, then have issues because it chugs a bit.

Yup. That will get sorted, eventually. I agree they have gone for a more cartoony look reminiscent of Cities: Skylines, which has good and bad points. I have mixed feelings.

The impression I get is of the ultimate tabletop train set. If your tabletop stretched for hundreds of miles.

i own both train sims, DTG just works out of the box, jump in and drive your favorite train, but also very expensive.trainz on the other hand let the community down imo,the graphics inside the default cabs look horrible,to enjoy trainz you would need to buy 3rd party addons like jointed rails, but can be a mess to install and get working correctly.if you want to just drive buy DTG train sim, if you want to tinker and be a model railroader buy trainz.i followed and used trainz since 2002 when the first version came out,but this new version was a huge let down to me, but still much more user friendly when building routes or setting up ai trains, and can be alot of fun.

I think they also are going to have the same problem I still have with Train Simulator which is that after any big graphical update, you still have ton of legacy stuff that simply doesn't take advantage of the new effects. In TS2015 this ended up with older routes that are still quite clunky, including the rolling stock, and newer routes/equipment that can be quite beautiful.

It will take a bit before things begin to even out. and even now in TS2015 I only purchase new stuff.

Actually, that's not even true currently, because I've stopped all purchases until I understand what the compatibility is going to be with their new engine. (sounds like there will be none)

I followed and used trainz since 2002 when the first version came out,but this new version was a huge let down to me, but still much more user friendly when building routes or setting up ai trains, and can be alot of fun.

I feel the same about TS-2015.  It seems to me older versions ran smoother and often looked better, with or without add-on routes.   This for example..is hard to beat for  'realism' ........

https://youtu.be/99nB-FtSoLE?t=715

Its always amazing to me how far we have fallen, that even our best and most "successful" dedicated sims fall on their faces graphically compared to things in even modest games. Even essentially throwaway items like the trains in GTA, which nonetheless look better then anything we have.

Will there ever again be a AAA rated sim?

Its always amazing to me how far we have fallen, that even our best and most "successful" dedicated sims fall on their faces graphically compared to things in even modest games. Even essentially throwaway items like the trains in GTA, which nonetheless look better then anything we have.

lol GTA5 looks better than current train sims and flight sims...best $70 i have ever spent.

BTW. Did anyone spot Concorde landing then disappearing again in that train-sim clip that I posted earlier?  I hope DTG do better than this on the next flightsim.....

https://youtu.be/99nB-FtSoLE?t=1070

lol GTA5 looks better than current train sims

It's sure come a long way since GTA-SA 11 years ago.....

It's sure come a long way since GTA-SA 11 years ago.....

And sims have not. Even now, I could find routes looking not all that much better than this in our current train sims. Its really sad. I hope DTGs  new sim really does finally move things up a notch. And I want Trainz to be there right beside them.

Even essentially throwaway items like the trains in GTA, which nonetheless look better then anything we have.

Plus of course you can interact with all modes of transport in GTA.....

...but be careful if you're accident prone! ;-)

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6371741

See? The modders are already at work. Never underestimate the modders!

And do you want to build that tabletop set you never had the room for in real life?  :ph34r:

i am glad to see modders at work, i have spent a fortune across fsx,p3d,trainz and train simulator 2015.alot of us have medium to high end computers and cant even use the full potential because the poor optimized games.trainz a new era is horrible, but i do enjoy the sessions.jointed rails can sure make TANE locos look almost real on the outside though, and they have a ton of freeware for the train sim.wonder when a mode will be available for trainz to help fix performance issues.

I hear the next TS after TS2016 will be using Unreal 4 engine, and I hope they fix the 150mile limit. Currently no route can be over 150 miles, but, if someone completed the City Thames Link between south London, through Blackfirers and Farringdon up to Kings Cross (which is small) then we would have a route from Brighton to Dundee via Kings Cross, Peterborough, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Here's a good map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/d/viewer?mid=zod1ualDYbYQ.kUg0IVTRdiFU&hl=en_US

However, 150 track limit stops that. So we can't have Euston to Manchester etc. Also, Kings Cross to Faversham is done, you only need a small section more to go to Ashford then Folkstone and you have the UK part of the Eurostar done. But again, we'd be hitting limits. I hope we can get around this.

The UK map is looking pretty good at the minute, but I hear with the Unreal 4 engine the DLC's will need to be re-made. I hope it's not too much work, it would be a shame to lose all of that. The UK would be well covered in 2-3 years

Did you get the hotfix?

Whatever the overall opinion is of Trainz : A New Era, at least they give you the entire London-Edinburgh route, rather than bits and pieces of routes here and there. I would be a bit more interested in DTG Train Simulator if it actually included a decent variety of sensible length UK routes, followed by network expansions that linked to existing routes. Bits and pieces of routes scattered all over the place are of no interest to me, particularly when they are a branch line barely ten miles in length.

Thanks for the interesting info regarding TS2016, and the 150 mile limit.  I never realised that.

Thanks.  ..and here's a useful alternative map of the UK which may also be useful to visitors to our fine shore ;-)

.......... http://www.craptownsreturns.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Crapmap2.jpg

Me either until I commented on a route proposal of the Dartford line through Lewisham and Greenwich to join up the existing Kent lines from London - Faversham and the South London network. That's not over 150 miles obviously but others where asking for the Eurostar line.

Love the map, I moved from 'Immigrant Detention Centre' to 'Bankers, Hipsters and Riots' :D

Whatever the overall opinion is of Trainz : A New Era, at least they give you the entire London-Edinburgh route, rather than bits and pieces of routes here and there. I would be a bit more interested in DTG Train Simulator if it actually included a decent variety of sensible length UK routes, followed by network expansions that linked to existing routes. Bits and pieces of routes scattered all over the place are of no interest to me, particularly when they are a branch line barely ten miles in length.

As stated, there is a 150mile limit which I hope is resolved in either TS2016, or the next one after (which they have spoken about). If you check the map I've linked there is are routes which link up London to Dundee, however you can't drive the whole thing. But, what you can do is link lines up. If you open the map you can see they have included the line and stations and where the link points to existing routes would be, which is good. Someone just needs to do it. Someone did this by taking the South London scenery and linking it with the London to Brighton scenery to have a London Bridge to Brighton route. So, other then the 150 mile limit, all of this is possible, has been done, it just requires it to be done. But yes, a Euston to Manchester route would be nice, and link up the London to Oxford circuit down to Bristol, Bath and Exeter. All possible, and I'm confident will be done in the future.

Speaking of the Eurostar however, even if someone completed the Faversham to Folkstone route, which is not too difficult one imageins, the tunnel I can't see being difficult either, the longest part is Calais to Gar du Nord in Paris. That would take a long time to complete as it's a long route. But, I'm sure people would jump on that. The London Liverpool Street to Ipswitch, including Braintree branch is a fair length

But you're statement on routes being linked, they are and do exist. We just want more of them. For example Woking to Portsmouth is done, so someone just needs to build Waterloo to Woking and they can be linked

However, 150 track limit stops that.

Its an issue that's been brought up before, most recently that I know of from the Nexgenflightsim folks when talking about the inability of some engines currently to have round earth's.

I did some looking after that, and one solution that Unreal can use is a way to kind of reposition the center of the coordinate system to an arbitrary new point that could even be the player/user. Everything beyond a certain set size would have to "stream' in and out of view, but I think Trainsim does this anyway.

Bits and pieces of routes scattered all over the place are of no interest to me, particularly when they are a branch line barely ten miles in length.

I see DTG's TrainSimulator as being like Flight Unlimited -3, i.e it has a limited area to travel in but has quality and mystique built in.  Trainz on the other hand is like FS-95, total area coverage but its a bit basic.   Each has its merits though.

Love the map, I moved from 'Immigrant Detention Centre' to 'Bankers, Hipsters and Riots' :D

Nice one!   Years ago I moved from Poisoned Dwarves down to Tories; ...and nowadays I reside in Cilla Black.

:P

http://www.craptowns...10/Crapmap2.jpg

i actually bought some jointed rails content and running them in trainz a new era deluxe version,wish someone has some nvidia inspector settings, the track is blurry even on a 4k monitor.i read the blog about ts 2015, not much is gonna change going to ts 2016, but i must say the unreal engine is gonna be interesting to see.hope the trainz folks start pushing some performance patches out, and they need to add sli and crossfire support.ts 2015 has sli and it maxes both of my cards out and very well optimized.

Remember though, that when TS introduced the new graphics modes there was quite a stink, with a lot of people unable to run it and pretty much all the things being said then are being said about Trainz, now. It will sort itself out.

Even now there are relatively few people who can run TS with all settings maxed.

One thing we can't complain about with TS is the graphics. They are good, even if it is quite a toll on your system.

My only real complaint, other then the 150 mile limit, is the discrepancy in cost between DLC's.

For example, the St Pancras - Faversham DLC is is £24.99 which includes two trains, scenarios, and the scenery from Kings Cross to Faversham including the Shearness-on-Sea branch. I lived on that line for 20-odd years and commuted to London for 5-6 years everyday. I can vouch for those stations and scenery being very well done and very accurate. I think a huge amount of effort went in to that. Same with the South London Network, I live near to where a section of that ends and have been to a few stations on that line including Victoria and London Bridge many many times. It's accurate. Also, again, some trains come with it and scenarios, for £24.99

However, the London Overground Class 378 Capitalstar which is one train, no scenery just 4 scenarios using existing scenery... £11.99. Almost half price and yet one questions how it took half as much effort as the above scenery's. Bearing in mind that the scenery above also came with scenarios. Not very many I admit, I'd prefer more, but that gives scenery, scenarios and trains for the price. £4.99? Wouldn't have an issue. but £11.99? I just don't get it. To the point where I struggle to justify the price which is a shame as so many items in the work shop for South London requires that train!