Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Trainz: New Era

I hear the next TS after TS2016 will be using Unreal 4 engine, and I hope they fix the 150mile limit. Currently no route can be over 150 miles, but, if someone completed the City Thames Link between south London, through Blackfirers and Farringdon up to Kings Cross (which is small) then we would have a route from Brighton to Dundee via Kings Cross, Peterborough, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Here's a good map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/d/viewer?mid=zod1ualDYbYQ.kUg0IVTRdiFU&hl=en_US

However, 150 track limit stops that. So we can't have Euston to Manchester etc. Also, Kings Cross to Faversham is done, you only need a small section more to go to Ashford then Folkstone and you have the UK part of the Eurostar done. But again, we'd be hitting limits. I hope we can get around this.

The UK map is looking pretty good at the minute, but I hear with the Unreal 4 engine the DLC's will need to be re-made. I hope it's not too much work, it would be a shame to lose all of that. The UK would be well covered in 2-3 years

Did you get the hotfix?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Whatever the overall opinion is of Trainz : A New Era, at least they give you the entire London-Edinburgh route, rather than bits and pieces of routes here and there. I would be a bit more interested in DTG Train Simulator if it actually included a decent variety of sensible length UK routes, followed by network expansions that linked to existing routes. Bits and pieces of routes scattered all over the place are of no interest to me, particularly when they are a branch line barely ten miles in length.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for the interesting info regarding TS2016, and the 150 mile limit.  I never realised that.

Thanks.  ..and here's a useful alternative map of the UK which may also be useful to visitors to our fine shore ;-)

.......... http://www.craptownsreturns.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Crapmap2.jpg

Me either until I commented on a route proposal of the Dartford line through Lewisham and Greenwich to join up the existing Kent lines from London - Faversham and the South London network. That's not over 150 miles obviously but others where asking for the Eurostar line.

Love the map, I moved from 'Immigrant Detention Centre' to 'Bankers, Hipsters and Riots' :D

Whatever the overall opinion is of Trainz : A New Era, at least they give you the entire London-Edinburgh route, rather than bits and pieces of routes here and there. I would be a bit more interested in DTG Train Simulator if it actually included a decent variety of sensible length UK routes, followed by network expansions that linked to existing routes. Bits and pieces of routes scattered all over the place are of no interest to me, particularly when they are a branch line barely ten miles in length.

As stated, there is a 150mile limit which I hope is resolved in either TS2016, or the next one after (which they have spoken about). If you check the map I've linked there is are routes which link up London to Dundee, however you can't drive the whole thing. But, what you can do is link lines up. If you open the map you can see they have included the line and stations and where the link points to existing routes would be, which is good. Someone just needs to do it. Someone did this by taking the South London scenery and linking it with the London to Brighton scenery to have a London Bridge to Brighton route. So, other then the 150 mile limit, all of this is possible, has been done, it just requires it to be done. But yes, a Euston to Manchester route would be nice, and link up the London to Oxford circuit down to Bristol, Bath and Exeter. All possible, and I'm confident will be done in the future.

Speaking of the Eurostar however, even if someone completed the Faversham to Folkstone route, which is not too difficult one imageins, the tunnel I can't see being difficult either, the longest part is Calais to Gar du Nord in Paris. That would take a long time to complete as it's a long route. But, I'm sure people would jump on that. The London Liverpool Street to Ipswitch, including Braintree branch is a fair length

But you're statement on routes being linked, they are and do exist. We just want more of them. For example Woking to Portsmouth is done, so someone just needs to build Waterloo to Woking and they can be linked

However, 150 track limit stops that.

Its an issue that's been brought up before, most recently that I know of from the Nexgenflightsim folks when talking about the inability of some engines currently to have round earth's.

I did some looking after that, and one solution that Unreal can use is a way to kind of reposition the center of the coordinate system to an arbitrary new point that could even be the player/user. Everything beyond a certain set size would have to "stream' in and out of view, but I think Trainsim does this anyway.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Bits and pieces of routes scattered all over the place are of no interest to me, particularly when they are a branch line barely ten miles in length.

I see DTG's TrainSimulator as being like Flight Unlimited -3, i.e it has a limited area to travel in but has quality and mystique built in.  Trainz on the other hand is like FS-95, total area coverage but its a bit basic.   Each has its merits though.

Love the map, I moved from 'Immigrant Detention Centre' to 'Bankers, Hipsters and Riots' :D

Nice one!   Years ago I moved from Poisoned Dwarves down to Tories; ...and nowadays I reside in Cilla Black.

:P

http://www.craptowns...10/Crapmap2.jpg

i actually bought some jointed rails content and running them in trainz a new era deluxe version,wish someone has some nvidia inspector settings, the track is blurry even on a 4k monitor.i read the blog about ts 2015, not much is gonna change going to ts 2016, but i must say the unreal engine is gonna be interesting to see.hope the trainz folks start pushing some performance patches out, and they need to add sli and crossfire support.ts 2015 has sli and it maxes both of my cards out and very well optimized.

Remember though, that when TS introduced the new graphics modes there was quite a stink, with a lot of people unable to run it and pretty much all the things being said then are being said about Trainz, now. It will sort itself out.

Even now there are relatively few people who can run TS with all settings maxed.

Devons rig

One thing we can't complain about with TS is the graphics. They are good, even if it is quite a toll on your system.

My only real complaint, other then the 150 mile limit, is the discrepancy in cost between DLC's.

For example, the St Pancras - Faversham DLC is is £24.99 which includes two trains, scenarios, and the scenery from Kings Cross to Faversham including the Shearness-on-Sea branch. I lived on that line for 20-odd years and commuted to London for 5-6 years everyday. I can vouch for those stations and scenery being very well done and very accurate. I think a huge amount of effort went in to that. Same with the South London Network, I live near to where a section of that ends and have been to a few stations on that line including Victoria and London Bridge many many times. It's accurate. Also, again, some trains come with it and scenarios, for £24.99

However, the London Overground Class 378 Capitalstar which is one train, no scenery just 4 scenarios using existing scenery... £11.99. Almost half price and yet one questions how it took half as much effort as the above scenery's. Bearing in mind that the scenery above also came with scenarios. Not very many I admit, I'd prefer more, but that gives scenery, scenarios and trains for the price. £4.99? Wouldn't have an issue. but £11.99? I just don't get it. To the point where I struggle to justify the price which is a shame as so many items in the work shop for South London requires that train!

To the point where I struggle to justify the price which is a shame as so many items in the work shop for South London requires that train!

I think you have just answered your own question :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I think you have just answered your own question :wink:

They are from other users though, not from DTG, so other users have done that.

But, £11.99 is the standard price for all trains, not just this one. I could understand if this train was more expensive then others, I'd understand, but all of them are that price, regardless of how much they are used in the Workshop or not :(

so should I get Train Sim 15 bundle or Trainz bundle?

Cant speak for Trainz, but I do have TS2015. My advice would be to look up what routes each has, and find the one with the routes you prefer most

find the one with the routes you prefer most

I like the hump yard setting up freight trains

And one thing I noticed with TS, successive  trees seemed identical... this would prove quite boring in game

when is TS16 due out?