Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Windows 10 THIS MONTH! Questions for FSX

Using Windows 7 and everything works great for me.  However, I'm reading that Windows 10, due out later in the month as a FREE UPGRADE, will work well with FSX.  My questions are these:

• Should I upgrade?
  • Will I have to RE-INSTALL FSX, or will Windows 10 recognize it and all the addons I have?
  • Will there be a performance increase?
  • Will it work flawlessly with DX10?

Have any of you used the Beta version of this OS or do you have an educated opinion about this upgrade as it pertains to our simulator?

Stan

My only input is..... if it aint broke, don't fix it   :rolleyes:

Jay

I'm wondering this myself.

Still on 7 and working ok but I guess I'm a little bit boded of it at this point :)

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

i cannot answer any questions except for your first one since I didn't reinstall FSX on W10..

Install Oracle Virtualbox, download a 64bit ISO of the preview, install it on the virtual machine, and check it out for yourself. The preview is open to everyone and that's the only way that you will see if W10 is right for you.

Most of the feedback I've read in the Win10 forum with regards to win 10/FSX has been positive. But, as has been stated, the only way to really know if there is (if at all) a performance increase, is to create a full image backup of your current Win7/FSX and do a full install of Win10/FSX.

I tried the update route to win 10 and it failed.

Since for me part of this hobby is testing, I will download the full version of win 10 and test to see if there's a any increase in performance or add-on incompatibilities. I'm excited to see what the results will be.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I don't think that Win10 will give any better FPS, but I certainly will hit the update button. Maybe after a month or so, to be sure no big bugs to get into my way. Hopefully the GUI gets usable again.

If it wouldn't be free, probably nobody would care anymore. With X-Plane I get ~20% better FPS on Ubuntu with Nvidia than on the other os including Win8.1.

+1.  Besides there is an entire year to sit back and see what happens. Only fools rush in.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Exactly what I think !

When it will be time to change my rig, I will reconsider my position if the returns are positive.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Wait for the early adopters, I'll probably be one, and see what we say :) Would I upgrade? Yes, as long as all goes well. They won't support W7 forever, so you'll need to at some point or another, why not when it's free

I will be upgrading for one reason... DX12.  This could be a game changer for flightsimming from what videos I have seen about it.  But we have a year to upgrade for free so I will take my time.  Upgrade a few laptops first then maybe an AIO PC I have before moving on to my flightsim machines.  Not sure if you can just perform an upgrade install but I'm sure for me it will be a full delete-format-re-install approach so I will hold off for a few months to let the reports trickle in on its good and bad sides.

Never upgraded to 8.0 or 8.1 so I am looking forward to it.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

It could very well be just in my head, but I am sure W8 performs better then W7. To the point that when I started at my last company I hunted down the W8 build and replaced W7 on my work laptop because I feel W8 performs better and more stable.

It could very well be in my head though as I said. I'm sure W10 will have some more performance benefits as well as stability and security. But I don't expect it to be so noticeable

I have been running the beta for quite some time now so I'm gonna format my system and do a clean install. Its been a while since I did a clean install so I'd say its long over due

I will be upgrading for one reason... DX12.  This could be a game changer for flightsimming from what videos I have seen about it.

Why would it be a "game changer" for flight simulator? I don't see FSX or FSX: SE being updated to use DX12, and certainly not Xplane either.

W10 and DX12 are a must.

I also will have to break my piglet to buy a fully DX12 support VGA

Cheers :)

N.-