Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Windows 10 THIS MONTH! Questions for FSX

Im still on windows 7 and never touched win 8. Now I have the win 10 preview on a dual boot, and have to say it looks and feels great which seems to coincide with other comments and while i didnt run FSX/P3D everything else seem to run just fine, and all drivers had no issues. Theres some odd bugs at the time, but it is a preview beta.  While the 'if it aint broke dont fix it might apply, remember that win7 is quite old now and theres more to it than just running fine. Theres better security and updates of which win7 keeps getting patched up for security holes. While this will always continue, win10 will be sure to have better security overall.  From what Im reading, there will be quite the migration to win10, from the die hard win 7 users to the disgruntled win 8 users looking for better. DX12 will be a big plus once its fully implemented and used by devs. Seeing that its free to get on board when its released, why wait. You can be sure , that if you wait to long, MS will gladly take your money later.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

• Should I upgrade? Of course! Running the latest version of software is never a bad thing. It's also future-proof (if/when a DX12 version of P3D was released).

• Will I have to RE-INSTALL FSX, or will Windows 10 recognize it and all the addons I have? Seeing as though the Get Windows 10 notification targets a VERY wide audience and recommends that they upgrade, they really can't just clean install Windows 10 on everyone's devices. The less experienced users would be confused as to where all their stuff went.

Will there be a performance increase? As Windows 7 to Windows 8 offered an improvement in performance for some people, Windows 7 to Windows 10 probably does similar. It's definitely not worse as far as I can tell. However, Windows 8 to Windows 10 seemed to not improve much, if any.

Will it work flawlessly with DX10? Unless they unintentionally changed/broke something, it should work the same as it has on any other previous version of Windows. I've not had any problems on the Insider Preview so far.

Brandon Filer

Great response...Thanks.

Stan

All good here not going back - now I would assume it will be better with final release and a fresh install as I have only updated and happy with it as is - so should be even better when its all said and done

Rich Sennett

Ah,... to answer your question linux731 I use P3D, not FSX.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Rich,

Any positives/negatives from the upgrade? I've had my computer for two years, I'm considering dropping in an SSD, moving some drives around and doing a fresh install of W10 once it's released.

Like everyone else, I'm just wondering if there is any drawbacks and if I'll regret the upgrade. How has your experience been thus far? I'm a PMDG user as well.

For now I will be sticking with Windows 7 on my FSX machines.  It's end of life isn't until 2020, so there is need to rush unless you.

Also, articles such as this  'Free' Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal'  make me somewhat leery of a Windows 10 upgrade.

Also, my understanding of the non-pro version Windows 10  is that it will force upgrades, no option to turn off, approve first, etc.  That feature will only be on the Pro version.

I also don't care much for how Windows 8.1 takes administrative control, unless you own the Pro edition.

None of that's an issue with any version of Windows 7.

Of course I realize that my concerns may be a bit premature, but I would like to separate fact from fiction.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Also, my understanding of the non-pro version Windows 10  is that it will force upgrades, no option to turn off, approve first, etc.  That feature will only be on the Pro version.

That is correct. The updates includes driver updates as well.

Rich,

Any positives/negatives from the upgrade? I've had my computer for two years, I'm considering dropping in an SSD, moving some drives around and doing a fresh install of W10 once it's released.

Like everyone else, I'm just wondering if there is any drawbacks and if I'll regret the upgrade. How has your experience been thus far? I'm a PMDG user as well.

Hi - no regrets at all it is very good - you have my word - updates are painless - P3D seems smoother now - just get it - here is the the steps I went thru - you have to download the windows insider version cant remember the version - doesnt matter get it - you will have to reload your video driver and sound driver thats it - (video driver needs to be win10 version I would get the latest from nvidia official version (353.30 - then later use tweakforce version) no biggie also if windows is updating your video driver automatically why didnt it - thats a good thing 

Next you can use the update feature to get another updated version build of win10 - you do that two more times - until you are at build 10162 - it will show a water mark in the lower right hand corner of your desktop stating this - then I would wait till the end of the month and get the final version

Now when you load these up leave it alone let it do its thing pc will restart a couple of times and all that but no big deal dont touch it until its done - after the first install I didnt have to update the sound and video drivers anymore it retained them

I am using an excellent windows 10 video driver from tweakforce - I have in the past tried many of them but didnt notice difference but this latest one seems to be great (353.49) 

Now heres my final verdict I like it a lot no problems especially after being an overlay of win7 - very impressive and worked like a charm - new formatted drive with win10 should rock and dont forget dx12 for the future - go get it - sign up and have fun

Heres the magic link

https://insider.windows.com/

Rich Sennett

Hi - no regrets at all it is very good - you have my word - updates are painless - P3D seems smoother now - just get it - here is the the steps I went thru - you have to download the windows insider version cant remember the version - doesnt matter get it - you will have to reload your video driver and sound driver thats it - (video driver needs to be win10 version I would get the latest from nvidia official version (353.30 - then later use tweakforce version) no biggie also if windows is updating your video driver automatically why didnt it - thats a good thing 

Next you can use the update feature to get another updated version build of win10 - you do that two more times - until you are at build 10162 - it will show a water mark in the lower right hand corner of your desktop stating this - then I would wait till the end of the month and get the final version

Now when you load these up leave it alone let it do its thing pc will restart a couple of times and all that but no big deal dont touch it until its done - after the first install I didnt have to update the sound and video drivers anymore it retained them

I am using an excellent windows 10 video driver from tweakforce - I have in the past tried many of them but didnt notice difference but this latest one seems to be great (353.49) 

Now heres my final verdict I like it a lot no problems especially after being an overlay of win7 - very impressive and worked like a charm - new formatted drive with win10 should rock and dont forget dx12 for the future - go get it - sign up and have fun

Heres the magic link

Any changes with performance? Im glad to hear that everything is working well, W10 is sounding promising. No compatibility issuea with PMDG or anything else?

Just finished picking out parts for a new system, they are currently sitting in my newegg cart. Im itching to buy tonight but I know Ill regret it if I dont wait for the new intel chips. My other option is to update my current system with an SSD and W10 and get another year or two out of it. No issues with my current system, runs stable with an OC of 4.2, just wouldnt mind having an new system.

Sorry for the lack of punctuation, Im using my Surface to type.

Richard,

AND all of your FSX addons work?  You didn't have to re-install FSX, ORBX addons, or Weather addons?

Stan

Richard,

P3d here Stan - had one problem switching aircraft but I think that was due to a lot of installing and uninstalling issues with some unnamed terrain products so I reinstalled P3D problems gone - you should be fine

Rich Sennett

Needing to do a full re-install is my major concern; like many of us, I have a TON of aircraft and scenery add-ons, and have reached a point where besides an occasional defrag I've squeezed all of the performance out of FSX that I can, and now have a stable and enjoyable platform where I can simply spend my time flying as opposed to tweaking. The thought of having to go through and reinstall all of my addons, plus remember all of the miscellaneous file modifications I've made was not something I was looking forward to. Granted, I'm sure the performance purists will always insist that a clean re-install of FSX following an OS upgrade is the only way to go, and not unreasonably so, if the breadth of the user experience is that it is unnecessary I'll be one happy customer.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

go get it - sign up and have fun

Heres the magic link

How long is this available for free? Can I get Windows 10 for free as a fresh install on another hard drive with proof of owning Windows 7?

My goal is to have both Windows 10 and Windows 7 on two separate swappable hard drives. I have multiple Win 7 64 Ultimate licenses