Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

FS9 and Windows 10

I hope this topic doesn't get bumped because it's a question about Windows. The point is that those of us who are significant users of FS9 are leery of adopting an OS that doesn't support our many addons. So please, this question is for FS9 users only. I am not asking for opinions about Windows 10 - but user experiences.  Have any of you taken the plunge and updated to Windows 10 and if so, were there problems with FS9?
Cheers

Ian

W10 is not in its final configuration yet so I suggest your requested information would not be valid at this point.

Microsoft has stated it will be released in waves of limited quantities with possible modifications between each release.

I know you don't want an opinion but I am just cautioning you to wait a bit.

The other thing to note is to get clarification of what W10 facilities require being on line hopefully not any of the core facilities. I don't want a return to central processing especially cloud dependent.

Some folks who are testing Win10 have said that FS9 simply does not work under that OS.if CD4 is used.  Any other use, of course, is a violation of the EULA.

DJ

Ian, just as a note, the full W10 for W7 and 8 Home users will be released as from July 29th by direct upgrade. Thereafter full support is being given by Microsoft. All other OS are NOT covered. The answers that you may get prior to the 29th for FS9 probably would not assist you, as the releases prior to the 29th are partial ones.

Many FS9ers still use WXP SP3. Microsoft only started with the Windows 10 Insider Preview Programme a few weeks ago with an iso for XP SP3 and non Windows OS like Linex. This Programme that my organisation is working directly with Microsoft on, will not be available for XP SP3 users for quite some time.

The bottom line for answers to your question would best be served on W7 and 8 Home users that have elected to have W10 installed by major update direct from Microsoft on the 29th July.

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Ian, just as a note, the full W10 for W7 and 8 Home users will be released as from July 29th by direct upgrade. Thereafter full support is being given by Microsoft. All other OS are NOT covered. The answers that you may get prior to the 29th for FS9 probably would not assist you, as the releases prior to the 29th are partial ones.

Many FS9ers still use WXP SP3. Microsoft only started with the Windows 10 Insider Preview Programme a few weeks ago with an iso for XP SP3 and non Windows OS like Linex. This Programme that my organisation is working directly with Microsoft on, will not be available for XP SP3 users for quite some time.

The bottom line for answers to your question would best be served on W7 and 8 Home users that have elected to have W10 installed by major update direct from Microsoft on the 29th July.

This is basically nonsense I'm afraid. The builds available for quite some time have been locked down i.e. no new features added, only bugs fixed. They latest builds are very much what will be released to OEMs for new machines and for users to upgrade to. Also, the Insider Preview Programme has been running for over a year, not a few weeks, and an ISO has been available from the start for installation onto any PC (ISOs are not OS specific, since they generally require installation from boot).

Some folks who are testing Win10 have said that FS9 simply does not work under that OS.if CD4 is used.  Any other use, of course, is a violation of the EULA.

DJ

Not sure what those folks were doing, but I've been running FS9 fine on a number of Windows 10 builds. It is afterall, more like Windows 8.2 with regards to the underlying code, rather than a whole new platform. The EULA of FS9 doesn't restrict users to a specific OS, and the terms of the Insider Programme don't prevent the use of any software on Windows 10 builds for the purposes of testing either.

To the OP, we'll have a better picture when it's finally released but by all accounts, any software that runs fine on Windows Vista onwards will work fine with Windows 10.

My thanks to all of you who have responded. I'll be contented to wait and see... I'm sure there will be plenty more said about the topic in the next few weeks

Cheers

Ian

I'm kind of cautious installing the Win 10. Today is the day. Are there any guys who have installed it yet?

In this case I'm not sure that newer is better. Think I'll stick with Win 7.

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Wondering as well will W10 work with FS9.  It's crazy to market an OS in the vain of just installing it on top of W7/8 giving users the expectation that the millions of programs in the world that worked with the older OS's will just work in the new OS.  I'm watching this with great interest not just on the FS9/P3D front.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I upgraded today, and I can say that FS9 does indeed work with Win 10.  I flew for a few minutes and checked my settings to see if they carried over from 8.1 to 10. They did transfer, but I'm not sure the settings are now optimized for the new OS.  One thing that troubles me is how to switch from windowed to not windowed screens. CTR/ALT/DELETE does not work quite as it did in 8.1.  Hitting just ALT makes the screen go dark and I don't see just how to get to SETTINGS while still in the non-windowed mode.  So some study and fiddling is about to take place.

One thing that troubles me is how to switch from windowed to not windowed screens. CTR/ALT/DELETE does not work quite as it did in 8.1. Hitting just ALT makes the screen go dark

How about the default setting of Alt+Enter to toggle between Full Screen and Windowed modes?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Sorry, Joe.  I typed faster than I was thinking.  After some fumbling around, I think I have the routine for windowed, full-screen and the dropdown menu:  You are correct that the keystrokes required are Ctrl-Alt-Enter to get from Windowed to full screen; and back.  Now, it seems we are able to access the dropdown menu for flights, FSUIPC, Maps, etc. by hitting Alt; but this works only in the windowed screen.  If you hit Alt in the full screen the monitor goes to solid color blank. This is a slight change from prior OS.  There is no way to get to the drop down directly from full screen as there was before.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.