Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

FS9 and Windows 10

I have zero plans to "upgrade" any of my production systems to Win10, "free" or not. I simply cannot afford to risk any of them being out of service for any reason.

Why would they be "out of service"?????

Because his Development software may not work correctly obviously, and he relies on it for some of his livelihood, would that be a good enough reason for someone to pass up on this.

Same reason it is not going on one of my home machines yet, no stable version yet for my amp modelling plugins and I have no wish to buy anything different and can't justify the cost as it works perfectly well at the moment.

I can see why a gamer may be happy to try out this stuff, nothing to lose...

But some folks just need stuff that works properly like Fr Bill.

Because his Development software may not work correctly obviously, and he relies on it for some of his livelihood, would that be a good enough reason for someone to pass up on this.

Same reason it is not going on one of my home machines yet, no stable version yet for my amp modelling plugins and I have no wish to buy anything different and can't justify the cost as it works perfectly well at the moment.

Why not try them out on a separate partition or computer?

Why not try them out on a separate partition or computer?

Maybe he is too busy finishing up the Milviz King Air 350i and sees no pressing need for anything Win10 offers at this point.

What are we losing ?

To replace my amp modelling software looks to be around $200.

On my FSX partition my Goflight stuff works erratically under W10, that's another $1000 of stuff that I lose out on using.

Different needs I suppose.

Hi again

Dillon do you have a link to the post that you wrote about 32 bit  to 64 bit XP?  I would like to read it please.

John (tinhead)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/340076-migrating-fs9-from-xp-32bit-to-windows-7-64bit/

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Jim,

My point is that it doesn't matter how many OS's are released since Fs9 was released as you stated. FS is a dead platform with MS. If your happy with Win10, I'm happy for you. I use FS9, it doesn't fully work with WIN 10. This topic is about FS9 and WIN 10. You don't have FS9 with WIN 10.

I haven't seen anything revolutionary with Win 10 other than an updated GUI.

Why would they be "out of service"?????

Glynn pretty much summed up the potential problems. I am so dependent on having a development computer working at 100% that I have a completely separate computer that is essentially a mirrored copy of my dev machine. Every time I save a file on my dev machine, it is instantly copied to the backup dev computer across my network.

With a quick keyboard command, I can immediately resume work on the backup computer should the need arise.

I do have a laptop that gets very little use these days, so I might eventually install Win10 on it just to see first hand what all the hoopla is about. :He He:

It's more a question of time in my case, as every moment I'm not working productively is time lost. Software updates do fail with alarming regularity, and the time spent cleaning up the mess is wasted time, IMHO.

BTW, I ran across a video that illustrates how DX9 in FSX (and presumably FS9) is not playing nicely with Windows 10's Desktop Window Manager (DWM):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Lw5hTB-N0

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So, does FS9 run with Windows 10 now that its been officially released? I am tempted to upgrade from windows 7. I was going to upgrade on my laptop with windows 7 but it crapped out last week.

Just a lowly FS9'er. 

So, does FS9 run with Windows 10 now that its been officially released? I am tempted to upgrade from windows 7. I was going to upgrade on my laptop with windows 7 but it crapped out last week.

Looks like DX9 software has problems with Windows 10. So I'd say, no.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Greetings.

Made the move to Windows 10 two days ago. FS9 seems to be running, but with a few flaws. When in full screen mode can't switch to the desktop, or another application using Windows key/alt + tab. To solve the problem I have to minimize FS9  to window mode (alt + enter). The Video drivers that I had when I was using Windows 7 didn't not install with the Windows 10 upgrade...so I downloaded/installed  the latest driver(s) from NVIDIA. I was maxed out at 70 fps (with LOD clamped), and 150+ fps without it in WIndows 7. With the NVIDIA settings at default, and using NVIDIA Inspector I'm maxed out at 60 fps (Windows 10 - NVIDIA drivers: 353.54). Going to install earlier drivers to make sure that problem is not with the drivers (I'll report back on that). If anybody has better frame rates than mine...please start another thread with NVIDIA settings, and what drivers you are using. Other than that...don't see any problems with running FS9 with the following programs installed:

FS Genesis (all)

Aerosoft FDC Live Cockpit

Ultimate Traffic + WOAI packages

Active Sky 

GE Pro

EVO

My Rig

I5-4590 3.30 GHZ

8 GB of Ram

ASUS Nvidia GTX 750 TI 2GB GDDR5

Take Care

J.R. Duda

Greetings again,

Tried to upgrade the NVIDIA drivers...looks like 353.30 is the only one available for Windows 10. Did more adjusting with the NVIDIA settings, and I still can't get above 60 fps....so the problem lies with either the NVIDIA drivers, or Windows 10 itself. However, if you have an older rig, and are experiencing low frame rates already you may want to wait before upgrading to Windows 10...they could be even lower. Again, hopefully more people will give more insight with their experience with FS9 on Windows 10.

Take Care

J.R. Duda

The official Win 10 drivers from Nvidia are 353.62 released the very first day that Win 10 was released..

With the NVIDIA settings at default, and using NVIDIA Inspector I'm maxed out at 60 fps (Windows 10 - NVIDIA drivers: 353.54).

Perhaps W10 caps out at refresh rate... I will see that as an advantage as it offloads pointless CPU/GPU workload, and 60FPS is great anyway :)

signature.jpg