Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

FS9 and Windows 10

Hi again

Dillon do you have a link to the post that you wrote about 32 bit  to 64 bit XP?  I would like to read it please.

John (tinhead)

The ONLY 'full version' of Win7 I've seen available in all department/computer stores ARE the OEM version. Which you're perfectly entitled to buy......otherwise they wouldn't sell it. Even Microsoft allow you to use it for another machine if it 'craps out'. I know, I've done it.

Looks like you're misinformed.

This is OEM Windows 7: dDIJRLW.jpg

This is full, retail Windows 7: microsoft-windows-7-box.jpg

The second one is the version that allows you to "move" the license between computers.

The second one is the version that allows you to "move" the license between computers.

I have had my OEM W7-64 on four different PC builds, each time it registered automatically when I entered the key, without any need to call MS.

I have had my OEM W7-64 on four different PC builds, each time it registered automatically when I entered the key, without any need to call MS.

Whatever! That's irrelevant. My comment still holds true. When you upgrade, you get the same W10 license.

I upgraded today, and I can say that FS9 does indeed work with Win 10.  I flew for a few minutes and checked my settings to see if they carried over from 8.1 to 10. They did transfer, but I'm not sure the settings are now optimized for the new OS.  One thing that troubles me is how to switch from windowed to not windowed screens. CTR/ALT/DELETE does not work quite as it did in 8.1.  Hitting just ALT makes the screen go dark and I don't see just how to get to SETTINGS while still in the non-windowed mode.  So some study and fiddling is about to take place.

I upgraded to win 10, fs9 doesn't work for me. tells me I have to have "administrative privileges", tried it and did nothing. I"m the only one that runs this computer and checking sys info am the adminstrator. just wondering if you or any one else can help? I know this is all new and may take awhile to work everything out!

Diego, the "full retail box version" hasn't been available for several years now here in the Midwest. In fact, the only copies Tiger Direct sells are the "OEM versions"...

I bought a copy about eight months ago in their local brick-and-mortar store in Orland Park, IL and questioned the sale of "OEM Win7". They said that MS had stopped production of the "box versions" and that they were only shipping "OEM versions" to stores.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Diego, the "full retail box version" hasn't been available for several years now here in the Midwest. In fact, the only copies Tiger Direct sells are the "OEM versions"...

I bought a copy about eight months ago in their local brick-and-mortar store in Orland Park, IL and questioned the sale of "OEM Win7". They said that MS had stopped production of the "box versions" and that they were only shipping "OEM versions" to stores.

MS stopped selling W7 a while ago, in favor of W8. This still doesn't change the fact that many people have the box versions. Frankly, if you bought an OEM copy and expect to get W10 retail, that's your problem.

In the previous two pages, containing 27 posts, only TWO posts are addressing the question I started this thread to try to answer. My question was pretty specific - this thread is for FS9 users only, who have made the switch to Windows 10. Does FS9 work well under Win 10 and if not, can you report what issues you are facing? :excl: 

For all those good folks who have hijacked the thread, please return to the security gate and empty out your pockets!  Then head to the "Windows 10 versus everything else in the world" gate,  where your personal 747 awaits you. There is unlimited seating, free booze and you can insult each other for as long as you can stay awake.

B)

Those who want to continue taking part in the original discussion topic, please head to the "FS9 and Windows 10" gate. No carry-on baggage allowed but there will be free upgrades to first class for those who actually address the topic!

^_^

SO - if you HAVE made the switch to Windows 10 AND you are or have tried running FS9 on it, your input is greatly appreciated. Welcome aboard!

For all others - your flights are leaving from a different gate and if you try to board this one, you risk having your b---s ripped off by the guard dog waiting at the boarding door... And if the dog doesn't get you, the Kung Fu flight attendants will. They are dying to kick some obnoxious PAX butt! :ph34r:

Thank you

Ian

ps. Jim - you seem to imply that you have made the switch to Windows 10 and if so, we would value your input if you have tried running FS9 on it. But be advised that unruly passengers will be asked to sit in the toilets for the rest of the flight so please keep it polite and positive my friend. Thank you

I upgraded to win 10, fs9 doesn't work for me. tells me I have to have "administrative privileges", tried it and did nothing. I"m the only one that runs this computer and checking sys info am the adminstrator. just wondering if you or any one else can help? I know this is all new and may take awhile to work everything out!

I'm having the same issue. Going to attempt a reinstall to see if that brings any luck.

Jim - you seem to imply that you have made the switch to Windows 10 and if so, we would value your input if you have tried running FS9 on it.

1. I have permanently made the switch to Win 10.

2. This is the Win 10 Forum so the safety net of the FS9 forum has been taken away.

3. No sorry I no longer have FS9 installed. I would suggest that there would be some issues seeing we are now 4 OS versions beyond FS9. However, I have noticed that the Compatibility Mode does have a choice for a number of different XP modes that might be worth a try for those that are attempting to use a legacy program with a modern OS.

Jim,

You don't have FS9 installed.

How many OS's have been released since FSX?

I do have FS9 installed. I have attempted to use compatibility settings with no fix.

I reverted back to Windows 7 due to compatibility issues.

I have Windows 10 installed on other computers and it works. Honestly it's an operating system. It's not revolutionary or a game changer other than not working with MS games.

You don't have FS9 installed.

Yes I did say that.

How many OS's have been released since FSX?

I reverted back to Windows 7 due to compatibility issues.

OK

I have Windows 10 installed on other computers and it works. Honestly it's an operating system. It's not revolutionary or a game changer other than not working with MS games.

So what is your point here? It works on your other computers. It is an OS. It doesn't work with your FS9.

Thanks Jim. That's good info. Sadly, the mods apparently ignored my plea that they leave the original threat in the FS2004 forum as the issues related to FS9 are likely to be far different to FSX/P3D/FSX SE.... But it does still link from the FS9 forum so I didn't know they had moved it to the WIN10 forum

Mods - if you see this. The reason I posted it in FS9 and asked that it remain there was because the topic really isn't Win 10 focused - the issue was FS9 which is by far the most likely version to be negatively impacted by making the switch to Win10 and I really felt that the only useful input would come from actual FS9 users. But thank you for keeping the link in the FS9 forum

Cheers

Ian

MS stopped selling W7 a while ago, in favor of W8. This still doesn't change the fact that many people have the box versions. Frankly, if you bought an OEM copy and expect to get W10 retail, that's your problem.

Actually, I only bought the OEM Win7 to install on a computer with Win8 preinstalled.

I have zero plans to "upgrade" any of my production systems to Win10, "free" or not. I simply cannot afford to risk any of them being out of service for any reason.

@Ian, I have read many reports from FS9/Win10 folks who's only complaint is a totally black screen when attempting to run in full-screen mode. In windowed mode it works perfectly for them. See: SimOuthouse for these discussions.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator