Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I just cancelled my W10 reservation....

Obviously we are not going to convince each other so let's leave it at that. If either of you knew anything about how OS work you'd realize what is happening.

Jim - you are the teacher so I leave it to you, however your education is sorely lacking in this area obviously.

Maybe, down the road a bit you'll realize what is really going on. Meanwhile, enjoy your improved sim.

Vic

Yea funny how benchmarks have shown that Windows 10/8/8.1 have had better performance than Windows 7. But then again going by your logic, why don't you just to go back the Windows XP.

Not relevant to FSX/P3D. There is NOTHING in the code of W10 that will have ANY appreciable effect on the overall performance of OLD CODE like ESP. I did not say that W10 isn't probably better than W7 - MS certainly hopes so but benchmarks are not real world - only practical use over the next months will determine that. 

As far as FSX/P3D - once you start the program, the interaction with the OS directly is minimal - once the file read is done the overwhelming majority of the work is done by the PROGRAM not the OS. Other than background memory management and other system processing, it has no real interaction with the running process.

Anyhow, I am going to go fly - to each his own. If you are happy - Enjoy.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

A fresh install of Win8.1, compared to Win10, will probably reveal no FPS difference at all.

Nevertheless, I'll install Win10 later before the end of the free period. I only wait for 2TB SSD to get cheaper, as I don't have enough space right now.

Not relevant to FSX/P3D. There is NOTHING in the code of W10 that will have ANY appreciable effect on the overall performance of OLD CODE like ESP. I did not say that W10 isn't probably better than W7 - MS certainly hopes so but benchmarks are not real world - only practical use over the next months will determine that. 

As far as FSX/P3D - once you start the program, the interaction with the OS directly is minimal - once the file read is done the overwhelming majority of the work is done by the PROGRAM not the OS. Other than background memory management and other system processing, it has no real interaction with the running process.

*Shrug* I have a pretty beefy machine, so for me the gains haven't been earth-shatteringly noticeable - yet even I've noticed small improvements in frame rates and memory usage, particularly on longer flights in resource hogs such as PMDG's 777. I'm not an IT guy, so you may well be correct in saying that there's nothing in Win10 that directly impacts the performance of FSX - but that doesn't mean there isn't an improvement if Win10 does directly impact the overall performance of the PC, including optimized memory management and such, right?

There are still a few quirks here and there with Win10 that need to be ironed out. If you're a bit paranoid about privacy (why would you be posting online) you'll probably want to be a bit diligent. But as an OS Win10 is just flat-out better at pretty much everything - and if you don't like it, go back to what you had and you can get back every penny you paid for it. Oh wait....

Sheesh - paranoid much?

You do realize those are merely settings that you have *complete control over* right?

Certainly that is true, provided one knows about them. The fact that they are automatically opted "in" and one has to wade through thirteen menus to find all of them and opt "out" is what is unfortunate. The vast majority of users will never know about these settings.

Speaking of "targeted advertising," for the past few weeks every time I watch any on-line video, I'm being bombarded by advertising, but in Spanish! Considering that the only Spanish I know would cause a Marine to blush, I have no idea how or why someone thinks I'm going to become a customer by watching ads in Spanish... :Silly:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

*Shrug* I have a pretty beefy machine, so for me the gains haven't been earth-shatteringly noticeable - yet even I've noticed small improvements in frame rates and memory usage, particularly on longer flights in resource hogs such as PMDG's 777. I'm not an IT guy, so you may well be correct in saying that there's nothing in Win10 that directly impacts the performance of FSX - but that doesn't mean there isn't an improvement if Win10 does directly impact the overall performance of the PC, including optimized memory management and such, right?

I never said that people wouldn't see improvements. I'm saying the improvements are more related to a clean fresh install than to W10 because there is nothing in W10 that will affect the ESP code.

My main gripe is with several posters in the forums who are touting that "everyone should switch, I got a 30% FPS increase and no OOM's !!!!! OMG it's the greatest!"

Most people forget the amount of garbage that accumulates on a system after a while. Ideally we should all reformat and reinstall every few months (unless you maintain your systems properly and run cleanups, etc) but no one is really going to do it, I wouldn't either.

The differences between XP and W7 were significant and they DID have an effect on the core ESP code but the changes in W10 aren't in areas that would result in noticeable effects.

Try it or not, that's an individual choice but don't buy into the snake oil that *some* are posting.

That's my point.

Bottom line - if YOU are happy with YOUR system - that's ALL that matters. What *I* or anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Would you please post a confirm link or email where Microsoft confirms your charges. A link like yours to another website who also has no answer to the question or rolling back is in no way proof. This whole subject has become so convoluted here on AVSIM to the point of the Windows Thread is completely useless. What you are charging is that One of the biggest companies in the world are running a scam on millions of people if not billions of people all over the world. I am not a fanboi of MS and have Win 10 on one backup machine to try out. So far it looks works and tastes like Win 7. Who knows but just because you got a bit excited and god knows you do get a bit excited about thing, is no reason to spread rumors and that is exactly what you are doing.

I agree with that.

I can't imagine that Microsoft would pull off something like this.

The whole world would turn there back to them, they can't afford that.

I don't want Microsoft to be able to take anything I have on my computer and do whatever they want with it, and that is what you agree to when you agree to their terms when you install windows 10. I am staying with windows 7 for sure.   http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-permission-watch-every-move.html

Thanks for the links.   :blink:

Jim - you are the teacher so I leave it to you, however your education is sorely lacking in this area obviously.

Being the master teacher that I am I went right to the source, I contacted two FSX programmers from my MS contacts and asked them for their expert insights in this matter.

In both cases they responded that yes indeed Win 10 most definately could provide a small increase in FSX performance. Both were aware that this was with an updated Win 7 install, not a clean Win 10 install and the very same FSX and add-ons. Both were aware that this was not with a reformat and reinstall of a single thing. Both knew of some code optimizations that are a part of Win 10 that were not present in previous OS versions. Both stated it had nothing to do with Win 10 being freshly installed or not.

So if you read of some claims that FSX runs slightly better under Win 10, understand that it is possible, and not just a bunch of "snake oil" as some would like you to believe, but some code changes in Win 10.

If YOU want to give it a go, go for it. You have nothing to lose and you might even have some things to gain!

In both cases they responded that yes indeed Win 10 most definately could provide a small increase in FSX performance.

At the risk of being pedantic if something is definite should that read will provide a small increase...? Otherwise the statement is meaningless.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Maybe we're just bandying words here - MY contacts at MS agree that no SIGNIFICANT improvement will result DUE TO THE OS. However we are dealing with computers - anything is possible depending on what you start with.

Will some see an improvement? Of course, depending on how bad their setup is they might even see a large increase. that doesn't mean that everyone will get nor should they expect the same results.

On a well maintained W7 system - stay with W7 - W10 will bring NOTHING to the table to improve FSX/P3D significantly. As far as other apps and the OS in general - time will tell.

Maybe we're just bandying words here - MY contacts at MS agree that no SIGNIFICANT improvement will result DUE TO THE OS. However we are dealing with computers - anything is possible depending on what you start with.

Will some see an improvement? Of course, depending on how bad their setup is they might even see a large increase. that doesn't mean that everyone will get nor should they expect the same results.

On a well maintained W7 system - stay with W7 - W10 will bring NOTHING to the table to improve FSX/P3D significantly. As far as other apps and the OS in general - time will tell.

Replace 7 with XP and 10 with 7 and you have the same argument. Just saying.

Whether Windows 10 would give me a 1FPS increase in P3D or not is irrelevant. Everything is working just fine under Windows 7 on my PC, so why the hell would I risk messing that up when there is no sensible reason to do so?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Whether Windows 10 would give me a 1FPS increase in P3D or not is irrelevant. Everything is working just fine under Windows 7 on my PC, so why the hell would I risk messing that up when there is no sensible reason to do so?

Because it's free, will be supported longer, contains DX12 (which may be used by P3D in the future), and it will probably become the standard for hardware and accessories (as Windows 7 and 8.1 did... Notice how Vista and XP are ignored nowadays?).

Replace 7 with XP and 10 with 7 and you have the same argument. Just saying.

Not even close. there were significant hardware & software changes at the system level during that period which the new OS (7) was able to use which DID result in noticeable improvement. Not the same for W10.

Just sayin......

Hi vgbaron.  You seem to be very certain about your assertions.  Can you please provide links to Microsoft sources (or other respected and unbiased technical sources) where Windows 10 performance is compared to Windows 7/8.1 showing no appreciable performance improvements?  I understand, and respect, your decision to stay on Windows 7 and would never argue with you about that, but some might read your comments, take them at face value, and then write off Windows 10.  Some attribution on your part might help reinforce your allegations.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64