Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I just cancelled my W10 reservation....

Just on the note of ticking boxes on privacy and so on during the installation process,  apparently there's 13 pages of options and box ticking,  is this correct?  Not to sound like a silly dramatic queen but,  How is anyone supposed to know the best method or safest way to install.   I'm deffo going to install over the weekend but i'm nervous i will be half way through my installation and wont know the answer or what box to tick.

What im looking for in my installation process is a a nice paranoid install,  love security,  hate bloatware 

1. Make sure you click "Customise settings" instead of "Express settings" during the initial setup screen.

2. Make sure you don't "log in" to Windows using a Microsoft Account. (There's a "Skip this step" button)

3. After the OS is done installing, open Settings, go to Privacy, and disable anything that causes concern for you. 

Some may find this helpful.

Lyn

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-secure-windows-10-the-paranoids-guide/

PS. I have not cancelled my Win10 reservation - in fact, I am impatiently waiting for the go ahead to install it on my C:/ Win7 Pro drive! I have already installed the RTM on two Windows Insider computers as a build update. I know that I could go get the Win10 ISO but I want to see how the automatic update scenario works. If all goes as planned, I will then activate Win10 on my wife's' computer - YES, I DO have her permission!!

I just bookmarked that page for when the tinfoil hat folks arrive again.

1. Make sure you click "Customise settings" instead of "Express settings" during the initial setup screen.

2. Make sure you don't "log in" to Windows using a Microsoft Account. (There's a "Skip this step" button)

3. After the OS is done installing, open Settings, go to Privacy, and disable anything that causes concern for you. 

Thank you Diego.  For some mental reason or other i cant seem to find window 10 on my system.  I'm just working through it now,  updating all updates etc etc and so on,  so ill find it soon. 

I just bookmarked that page for when the tinfoil hat folks arrive again.

lol.   Jim, regarding only Fsx or P3d or even X-plane  :o  Is there any one setting or privacy setting in the 13 pages of box's that should be ticked or un ticked to give a smoother uninterrupted simming experience.  I mean is there anything in there i should be diligently looking out for. 

Free always has strings attached. Microsoft like any business is out there to make money, no Board would allow a business to release a money making thing like windows for free unless M$ was going to make money out of it. Just think if 3million people go with the flow on just the standard version, M$ stand to loose over 660 million dollars never mind devevelopment and roll out cost. So know the will have to recoupe their losses, Somehow....

I would like to know the real numbers

But than who cares its free and we have no more freedom anyway.

I hardly use it anymore. Booting a few times a year for FSX and to recompile my stuff. ~90% I do on Ubuntu.

Guys,

come to win 10... Pro will even be a better jump... Fear not - I'm here, alive and kicking, with my P3Dv2.5, ASN and Aerowinx PSX all working together, smooth as silk :-)

The only grip is using AVSIM Forum with IE or EDGE... That's why I am typing this in Chrome, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to use quotes ( not the case here... )... But then, that's not a problem of the OS - the same happens in win 7 if you install IE 11...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Just updated. Guess how, 7z ipping FSX to another drive, deleting and updating. Now moving back FSX. Still need to test all apps but it looks not better than 8.1 nor feels faster. I was hoping that it uses less hd space, again no luck.

PS: is it possible to have tabs in the file manager?

1. Snappier surfing, sharper looking videos, a better looking and performing Flight Sim.

Takes about 4-6 hours to try it out and roll back if not satisfied.

A better looking and performing sim?

Does this mean less stutters/micro pauses at add-on airports or just an all around smoother experience?

I hope that my RXP 430/530 & GTN 750 units work with win 10. I have so many add-ons that I'd be surprised if it all works.

Thx.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just updated. Guess how, 7z ipping FSX to another drive, deleting and updating. Now moving back FSX. Still need to test all apps but it looks not better than 8.1 nor feels faster. I was hoping that it uses less hd space, again no luck.

PS: is it possible to have tabs in the file manager?

If you upgraded keep in mind the old installation will be kept for 1 month. You can delete the old installation using Disk Cleanup, or wait 1 month and it will delete itself.

No, no tabs in File Explorer. Check out Classic Shell, that may offer what you want.

Free always has strings attached. Microsoft like any business is out there to make money, no Board would allow a business to release a money making thing like windows for free unless Microsoft was going to make money out of it. Just think if 3million people go with the flow on just the standard version, Microsoft stand to loose over 660 million dollars never mind devevelopment and roll out cost. So know the will have to recoupe their losses, Somehow....

I would like to know the real numbers

But than who cares its free and we have no more freedom anyway.

It's not free for everyone and most new computers will have win 10. MS will either get a cut or condition the public to pay for an upgrade to win 10 because is the next best thing.

We know better.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Does this mean less stutters/micro pauses at add-on airports or just an all around smoother experience?

Gained a few FPS and seems a bit smoother. 

Gained a few FPS and seems a bit smoother. 

Did you do a clean install, because that usually makes a computer run much better even with your current OS. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

No, not a clean install of anything just the upgrade install from Win 7 to Win 10. Absolutely nothing needed to be reinstalled on my computer FS-wise or anything else.