Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I just cancelled my W10 reservation....

Hi,

Will you all listen to yourselves! There's nothing more likely to polarise opinion than the unveiling of a new operating system. You must know that this is familiar territory yet you are still allowing yourselves to get sucked in to arguments that no one can possibly win. There was a time when a thread like this would have been locked down long before it got out of hand. It's sad to see such well known and well respected members' friendly banter edging ever closer towards the unfortunate use of acrimonious language without the possibility of resolution.

There are so many variables it is hardly possible to predict who will benefit from an upgrade and who will not. Clearly some are seeing improvements yet others are employing spurious mechanisms to undermine such experiences. Why? Does it really matter? There really is no urgency to upgrade to Windows 10. However, as with new hardware, there will always be the early adopters and the rest of us can benefit from their experiences.

I am content to remain on Windows7 Pro SP1 64bit for the foreseeable future. It is stable, predictable and currently continues to serve me well. Yes, I'm interested in Windows 10 and what it has to offer. Doubtless DirectX 12 will, in time, bring about a revolution in ways we could only dream of back in the happy days of DirectX 9. However, for me, there isn't any pressing need to jump ship yet awhile.

My latest build is based around the i7 5960X. My O/S of choice will be Windows7 as I know all the drivers are mature and everything I am using now will continue to work and work well. Windows 10 will lure me into making the change eventually and I suspect that time will come before the offer of a free upgrade expires. Until then I am content to see how things develop over the next year.

Mike

Don't we all remember the same situation when Windows 7 first started rolling out? "The sky is falling....."

No different than when Flight was in development and released.

Can you please provide links to Microsoft sources (or other respected and unbiased technical sources) where Windows 10 performance is compared to Windows 7/8.1 showing no appreciable performance improvements?

My last word on this - you have obviously NOT read my posts. I never stated what you posted above. I believe that ultimately W10 will prove to be a better OS than 7 or 8 - time will tell. In the court of public opinion so far there are lots of plusses and minuses - depending on individual preferences. Some people don't like the fact that W10 phones home constantly with personal information about the user, etc - others say - no big deal - just turn that "feature" off.

I like the way it looks. That's all I can say at this point and that is only MY opinion.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Some people don't like the fact that W10 phones home constantly with personal information about the user, etc - others say - no big deal - just turn that "feature" off.

It's not a "feature", and yes, it can be turned off.

It's not a "feature", and yes, it can be turned off.

In my humble opinion, these should be "opt in" choices the user makes, not "opt out". Or alternatively, a menu during installation/configuration asking if the user wishes to participate in the data collection/reporting program. Let the user decide!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Or alternatively, a menu during installation/configuration asking if the user wishes to participate in the data collection/reporting program. Let the user decide!

You haven't used W10 yourself, have you? Those exact options are there during the initial setup.

No, I haven't installed Win10 yet. It's odd though that absolutely no one but you has mentioned this so far...

...although it is also quite possible that most folks don't bother reading the screens while installing Win10, so may have just blindly blown past this install dialog. :unknw:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You haven't used W10 yourself, have you? Those exact options are there during the initial setup.

Are they on or off by default?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No, I have

...although it is also quite possible that most folks don't bother reading the screens while installing Win10

Who cares about "most folks"? Almost everyone in this forum wouldn't classify as a "normal user". Think about the many hours people spend tweaking their simulators to work as they want. Why can't they use some of that time into configuring Windows as well?

Are they on or off by default?

On. Again, does it matter?

On. Again, does it matter?

Yes, definitely. Those of us who don't want Google Chrome have to deselect the install option every time Avast or Java is updated. It's intensely annoying. As far as sharing information via a OS Father Bill is quite right. It should be an opt-in, not an opt out.

If you miss the selection the default should be the safer of the two. Currently it isn't and that is shocking from a company like Microsoft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Safer is the opposite of dangerous and there is nothing dangerous going on here.

Safer is the opposite of dangerous and there is nothing dangerous going on here.

It isn't about what is dangerous but what is ethical. When you're presented with T&C option it isn't already selected. You have to tick it to agree. Same applies here.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just on the note of ticking boxes on privacy and so on during the installation process,  apparently there's 13 pages of options and box ticking,  is this correct?  Not to sound like a silly dramatic queen but,  How is anyone supposed to know the best method or safest way to install.   I'm deffo going to install over the weekend but i'm nervous i will be half way through my installation and wont know the answer or what box to tick.

What im looking for in my installation process is a nice paranoid install,  love security,  hate bloatware