Sign in to follow this  
Yaffa

Ivy Bridge to Skylake?

Hi folks.

Would you recommend upgrading to the new Skylake processor because of a boost in performance with P3D?

Been wondering about upgrading my 3770K.

Perhaps someone knowledgeable could take a look at this article and give us all an opinion.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64

The following article says there will be a 45% increase in performance from Ivy Bridge to Skylake and it is recommended.  Not so with Haswell.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2752766/skylake-upgrade.html

Probably the real answers will come after the release of Skylake and the manufacturers have provided optimal drivers for the new Motherboard (required) and chipset.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The following article says there will be a 45% increase in performance from Ivy Bridge to Skylake and it is recommended. Not so with Haswell.

Thanks for the info

Quote from the article "They are also on the 14nm die which means that they are more power efficient than their Haswell predecessors".

Do you think this will solve the heat problem that my Ivy Bridge has?

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64

Thanks for the info

Quote from the article "They are also on the 14nm die which means that they are more power efficient than their Haswell predecessors".

Do you think this will solve the heat problem that my Ivy Bridge has?

If you have heat issues then start with paste --> better cooling to understand the cause.

I am running Devil's Canyon aka. Mini Arc Reactor and at 4.7GHz i'm 71 celcius at full load.

Cooling is 90% of succes rest goes to thermal paste (my opinion).

It's certainly worth to upgrade from IB to Skylake but make sure you upgrade stock cooling as well else you will end up with same issues at some point.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Great article Jim - thanks for sharing. I'm on Haswell-E, and as expected, not too much of a bump there.

Should you upgrade?

Haswell users:
For haswell users, it's a no in general. The key advantage of Skylake is feature set, not performance. So if your looking for a good boost in speed then don't switch to Skylake, rather switch to Haswell-E which is a massive boost in performance to Haswell and Skylake.

Another good reason to not upgrade is overclocking. Your i5 K sku or i7 K sku overclocked at 4.5Ghz or beyond is actually a little bit faster than the 6600K or 6700K at stock speeds. While you could upgrade and overclock, would a 10% increase in performance be worth $500 of parts?

Now, if your the select few that uses lots of usb C and USB 3.1 devices, plus you need high speed storage from twin M.2 slots then upgrading makes perfect sense.

Sandy/Ivy Bridge users:

This time it's a yes. Sandy Bridge and Ivy bridge are both getting pretty old by now, and upgrading to Skylake will yeld a 30-45% (45% if your a sandy user) increase in performance. You will also get the latest technologies from Skylake, namely power efficiency, a variety of USB ports, high speed LAN, and probably the biggest upgrade will be high speed storage. Together, all these features makes it a worthy upgrade to Skylake.

The following article says there will be a 45% increase in performance from Ivy Bridge to Skylake and it is recommended.  Not so with Haswell.

This time it's a yes. Sandy Bridge and Ivy bridge are both getting pretty old by now, and upgrading to Skylake will yeld a 30-45% (45% if your a sandy user) increase in performance. You will also get the latest technologies from Skylake, namely power efficiency, a variety of USB ports, high speed LAN, and probably the biggest upgrade will be high speed storage. Together, all these features makes it a worthy upgrade to Skylake.

That article doesn't qualify that 30-45% number at all. Despite all of the blind optimimism here, I can't wait for the benchmarks to come out here and quietly show that such a figure was preposterous. On a related note, comparing CPUs that use different memory generations makes it tough for us to discern what performance gain is due to the CPU and what is due to the memory.

Regardless, get a Skylake, set it at 4.8Ghz and set some DDR4 as close to 2200Mhz (CAS 9-11-11-31) as possible and then show me an IETU score of over 1430 and I'll believe it.

anybody yet upgraded from haswell and seen any differance presently on i4670k with good graphics card bottleneck allways appears to be cpu not gpu. 

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d