Sign in to follow this  
york600

Best Weather Engine?

. . . and does it BEST! In fact, I've set ASN's Weather Mode to 'Historical' with 'Force Historical Time to Sim Time' checked which permits me to forget about ever having to change the setting regardless of the date chosen in FSX.

JJ

exactly JJ .... fogs in the am, sea breezes in the pm etc.

any others have historic weather ??

I don't understand how one can use "current weather" for anywhere other than your local (simming) .. even if it looks fluffy !!

for now, cheers

john martin

I'm eager to see what REX team's upcoming (knowing their timing, might as well be another 6+ months) Weather Direct program will bring to the table, since they claim it to be a revolution.

REX has an overaggressive marketing strategy that often overhypes their products, see REX Latitude and SIMAIR.

Matt King

yeah, I noticed. Will I can definitely vouch for their textures (Soft Clouds is almost a breakthrough imo), their weather engine hasn't worked as advertised, my experience having been less than satisfactory.

I'm interested in seeing if they truly have an ace up their sleeve with their upcoming Weather Direct.

In the meantime it's ASN all the way.

ASN always has good support and constant updates. Plus it integrates into the navigation display for PMDG and Aerosoft Airbus I do not know if others do this

The Aerosoft Airbus actually will display weather with any Wx engine, even default FSX weather.

Thanks all for replying. Three of us fly multiplayer just about every Fri. Two of us have FSGRW and the other AS. Not sure what version of AS he has. We always look for bad WX to fly into. The AS user always seems to have the severe wx where as us FSGRW guys have light rain and sometimes lightening. I'm thinking multiplayer is messing up some of wx for us FSGRW users. Latest issue of PCpilot has a good article on wx generators. They say ASN interpolates the wx. So they will inject wx in some areas that don't have metar reports. So that explains some of it. Sometimes when I exit multiplayer and go to free flight, refresh my wx, the same airport will now have better wx inline with reports.

York, ASN has a free trial. Just download it and try it for yourself. It's a much better to judge it first hand than getting opinions on it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

ASN has the best weather and I like the historical weather feature. But I use Opus more because I like the cameras and the Dynamic Head Movement. I fire up Opus, get weather and disable any updates. That takes care of any weather problems.  

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I seem to be among the minority that still enjoys REX Essential quite a bit...I understand that ASN provides quite a bit of improvement but I personally haven't had half the issues most mention with Essential, so I still like it a lot.

REX Essential is the kind of program where, if you follow all instructions, it will run pretty darn well. But if you make little slips, disastrous things can happen. The fact that it's cumbersome is somewhat annoying, but I still use it.

I like ASN, simple interface for folks like me but has loads of different settings for the hard core folks as well, never had a problem with it. I use Ezdok as well

REX Essential is the kind of program where, if you follow all instructions, it will run pretty darn well. But if you make little slips, disastrous things can happen. The fact that it's cumbersome is somewhat annoying, but I still use it.

May perhaps have changed over the past 15 months, but the dynamic real time weather I was getting from Rex E+ OD was just not accurate, especially winds aloft, where I commonly experienced wind directions aloft from 90° to 180° off. Not all the time, but often - not seldom. At that time I went to FS Global Real Weather. I do still use REX E+ OD for my cloud textures. I want my experience to closely match my flight planning.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

If you are interested in a WEATHER engine which depicts the real weather situation at a certain moment and place, it is OpusFSI. ASN gives you nice cloudscapes and other features which are nothing more than belonging to a kind of weather game. The bigger problem: it puts a dreadfull dll in your flightsim directory which eats a lot of VAS but offers a nice (fake)radar echo on the ND in your PMDG products. In the meantime you will hardly be able to complete a long PMDG flight because of the VAS consumption. Then, if you have ASN installed, but would like to try out another payware weather programm, you will be unable to try the virtues of the competitors because this dll blocks their fidility. It would be fair if the ASN guys would have named this dll : BoycottCompetitors.dll . I have bought an tried all the HiFi simulation products but my conclusion, as a meteorology freak, was always: it's a pity, Damian never gets it right.......sorry!

I've never heard this point of view before, do you have proof to back up any of your claims?

but my conclusion, as a meteorology freak, was always: it's a pity, Damian never gets it right.......sorry!

As a former USAF meteorologist and flight school weather instructor, I feel the urge to politely ask: nice that you are attracted to the science, but what is your level of education and experience with it? When you fly a simulation what is your baseline of information that sets the base for your simulator expectations? 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

As a former USAF meteorologist and flight school weather instructor, I feel the urge to politely ask: nice that you are attracted to the science, but what is your level of education and experience with it? When you fly a simulation what is your baseline of information that sets the base for your simulator expectations? 

You quoted the wrong person

I'm sitting at my desk flying a virtual plane.

80% of my virtual cockpit switches are non-functional.

My skimpy butt is firmly glued to my computer chair.

The air around is still, the ground is steady.

I'm one of those simmers who doesn't need every cumulus whiff or breath of wind to be exactly in the right place, at the right time and in the right intensity.

GIve me a hydraulic professional training simulator and I'll start being more picky.

In the meantime and in my particulatr situation, the weather injector with the best compromise between visuals, fidelity and performance is my obligatory choice. That's ASN.