Sign in to follow this  
HaraldG

The TDS Boeing 727

Hi,

I just found a new TDS model, the Boeing 727-200 passenger and freighter packages - over there in the "other" library. Just downloading... If soneone has tested it already, I'd been interested in some opinions.

However, it's so nice to see another new airliner model for FS2004. I hope that there will be also a 727-100 version soon.

Regards,

Harald

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I did a quick test around the pattern. What puzzled me was that I was getting serious blurries, something I didn't have ever in my rig, even with the iFly 744. I left my HD defragging, I'll try again later.

FDE...I think I felt the TDS 727 a little bit heavier than HJG's one, but not unflyable. I can't say which one is closer to reality.

It looks real nice! I am going to wait until I see it in the avsim library before I download it (only because avsim is faster for downloads).

Honestly spoken, I'm also still hesitating to install the plane.

At first, I'd prefer a -100 version what I'm sure will come out later.

At second, I'm unsure what panel to use. The base package comes with a stock panel. I'm thinking of using the HJG panel, but this panel still doesn't provide the systems I was familiar with when using the Dreamfleet version (incl. CIVA-INS). I doubt that a merge with the DF systems will be possible neither technical - I had problems with it since using Win7; I'd use the DF itself else - nor legal.

A VC would be fine, too, but not that important.

Well, for my tests I used the HJG panel. In my case, I don´t have the DF 727, so I´m not sure what would I be losing.

I doubt that a merge with the DF systems will be possible neither technical - I had problems with it since using Win7; I'd use the DF itself else - nor legal.

Well, I'm not sure if the DF EULA forbids merges or not, but you can be sure they won't support. Anyway, are DF people still giving support?

Now, technically, there shouldn't be any issues. I mean, I could merge successfully the iFly 737 with the TDS 737, even with the load manager working, so I guess the 727 shouldn't be too much problem. How are the lights coded? That may be an issue, and that's why I wasn't able to merge the iFly 744v2 panel with the Posky 744. I guess no one has reported any results merging the DF panel because, well, until yesterday, there was no good reason for trying so.

What puzzled me was that I was getting serious blurries.

Found the root cause: the script I use for converting the textures to DXT3 stripped them of their alpha layer. A quick DXTFixer pass restored the alpha layer, so I'll try again as soon as I get back home.

Luis Miguel, as far as my experiences go, the DF 727 has no active support anymore. There's a support forum at the flightsim forum plateform, but without participation of any of the former DF members.

The main difference between HJG and DF are the engines', electric and hydraulic systems in the latter one. While you do hardly any more than switch power on and start engines at the HJG model, you have to follow the flight engineer's procedures exactly in the DF version; even the cabine pressuration should be set carefully. But what let me doubt most in a merge between DF and TDS is the fact that I had screen freezes with the DF under Win7 that seemed to be caused by the DF systems in combination with newer versions of Internet Explorer. Other forum members reported this, too. So that I think that a merge will import these problems into the TDS model as well.

However, I have to confess that such a merge is far beyond my technical skills so that I have to wait for somebody else doing it in any case...

I understand, Harald, for a merger of this kind it takes a lot more than a simple alias.

Regarding my issues, I've just tested again:

1. The graphics issues were, effectively, a missing alpha that drove nuts my (attempt at a) GPU.

2. However, I'm getting a stutter when viewing to my side or changing from 2D to spot view. I didn't have this with HJG.. not even with the TDS 738 AFAIK. Counting polygons in ModelconverterX gives me 62k polygons for the 737 and 73k for the 727. Guess I'll have to reduce textures to 512x512 to get some breathing room.

3. There is at least one flap position that should not be there (that's what happens when you use a 737 panel for a 727) and must be removed from aircraft.cfg. Hand flight went beautiful, as expected from a 727. I haven't tried to follow numbers (that's a job for Dreamfleet pilots :Tounge: )

Harald,

I took a look on the TDS Forum, and I honestly cannot tell you if Hiroshi and the Team plan on making a -100 variant.

They haven't mentioned it so far...

Alan  :smile:

I find TDS aircraft to be almost unflyable on my machine.  "Heavy" feeling even with yoke calibrated and full pitch up on takeoff..  Have to constantly adjust pitch and even then, very hard to keep flying level.

This is not only TDS model that exhibits this on my machine.  I have to take them all off once trying.  This is ONLY MY observation and your mileage may vary.

P.S. - Other similar aircraft from "other" developers perform very well.

There will be a TDS 727-100.  :wink:

I remember seeing a TDS 727-100 screenshot leaked in the TDS Facebook page, replaced some hours later with an "Oops, I shouldn't have said that" statement.

Yeah TDS made an amazing work with the 727. Finally we have a great 3D model of the 'trisaurus'

I find TDS aircraft to be almost unflyable on my machine.  "Heavy" feeling even with yoke calibrated and full pitch up on takeoff..  Have to constantly adjust pitch and even then, very hard to keep flying level.

This is not only TDS model that exhibits this on my machine.  I have to take them all off once trying.  This is ONLY MY observation and your mileage may vary.

P.S. - Other similar aircraft from "other" developers perform very well.

Ya it will feel a wee bit heavier too hand fly it. I too have downloaded it and really felt TDS did a very good job of making the model flight dynamics. They have modelled the autopilot also like it was in the 1960's, slightly inaccurate,slow and primitive because back then there was more hand-flying than LNAV and VNAV. Also remember that in the 727 you are flying a plane that relied on mechanical hydraulic systems and no computer controlled fly-by-wire. Hence there will be a percieved sense of sluggishness in flying it. Hope it solves all your queries.

Cheers,

Swapnil

Guys thanks for flying.

About the 727-100 series making up.

Still FSX model is not made but yes doing.

No probs bro, take your time. After all no cake is complete without the icing and the cherry :wink: . Nice 727-200 BTW. I never knew that TDS team would make the numerous upgrades that the plane has had till date.

I've just read thru the topic and noticed few things.

1.At when using at FSX , must use FSX model , not FS2004 model.
  MDL file name starts from TDSX is FSX , TDS is FS2004
 Reason is 
 A. At FSX , can't recognize the FS2004's self Illumination parts .
 B. At FSX  can't recognize DECAL texture systems on FS2004.

2.When changing a panel ,must carefully see the vcockpit section of the panel.cfg
  Animation and light control guages are defined there.
 Those setting and the guages in the sub folder of panel folder must be copied to the new panels. you use.

May be feeling what this guys is saying?
Or Doesn't make sence , panel and model is different!
But no , Not only this model , already many models I made has this systems.
Basics are

Panel side's Animation and Light control guages orders ->Model side XML receives and moves or show the lights.

Why doing this is there is a huge merit.
User can have a chance to edit and tune up or at some case add functions.
One example , user can even change the amount of wing flex  , can even add factors to flex.

So...
Please remember , panel is NOT only a PANEL , Panel and Model works together.

If those guages are lost , model animations will drop to the backup/dumm mode and animation factors will be limited and actions won't be as should be.

How can you know which mode is ?

Most simple way  is put on the NAV lights.
If there is a MS default fireball Wingtip nav ligjhts , then model is working at Backup mode.