Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

FXAA setting

I found an article this morning on P3D tweaks and was curious about some of the settings ( actually do not like tweaking things in P3D if it is running OK)   http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/Flight/P3D_Tweaks.html

One item caught my attention and that was the Graphics setting in P3D for FXAA. He recommends turning it for a a sharper image saying that when on it rounds of edges.  I decided to turn it off to see what the effect was. It was like getting a brand new set of eyeglasses, and seemed to sharpen the focus on the scenery. Where I could really see this is on the gauges in the cockpit of my Aerosoft Airbus. I was always a bit disappointed in the clarity of the gauges unless I zoomed in to read them.  With FXAA off they are crystal clear.  Wondering what other P3D users use for that setting, which did default to on when I got P3D.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Bob, I always have FXAA off, and I think the majority of users have, too, although the defaut setting after installation is on.  According to my observation it makes things fuzzy and blurred, notably in the distance. It may help to prevent shimmering this way.

(As a sidenote: Arwen is a "she" :-)

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Bob, I always have FXAA off, and I think the majority of users have, too, although the defaut setting after installation is on.  According to my observation it makes things fuzzy and blurred, notably in the distance. It may help to prevent shimmering this way.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was imagining things.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I agree it does make it look better, but I have noticed better performance when it's off. Depending on where I am flying, it could be 3-5fps lower with it on...

P3D v4, REX SF3D, AS16, ENVTex, PTA 2.60, FSDT KDFW, KLAS, KLAX, KORD, KJFK, KSFD, KIAH, KMEM, KCLT FlightBeam KDEN, KIAD, KPHX, KSFO, KMSP

ASUS Z97 Pro + Wifi, Intel i7 4990k 4.0GHz, EVGA NVidia 970 4GB DDR5, Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400, Samsung SSD 850 250GB, 2x Acer 32" Monitor

I agree it does make it look better,

Er... the OP said it does make things look worse...! LOL And I agree. FXAA is a very simple and basic way of fighting the jaggies: it simply blurs the entire screen! I have it turned off since day 1. Quite odd that it's indeed on by default.

Er... the OP said it does make things look worse...! LOL And I agree. FXAA is a very simple and basic way of fighting the jaggies: it simply blurs the entire screen! I have it turned off since day 1. Quite odd that it's indeed on by default.

That is what confused me, because when I got P3D a few months ago, I started with the default settings and for the most part didn't change them at all, figuring that they were the best one could do. Glad I found that article this morning and tried changing it to off. 

My bad. I read the post wrong. I thought

You said that when you had it on, it was clearer. It does get rid of jagged edges at a cost of blurring the image. Sorry.

P3D v4, REX SF3D, AS16, ENVTex, PTA 2.60, FSDT KDFW, KLAS, KLAX, KORD, KJFK, KSFD, KIAH, KMEM, KCLT FlightBeam KDEN, KIAD, KPHX, KSFO, KMSP

ASUS Z97 Pro + Wifi, Intel i7 4990k 4.0GHz, EVGA NVidia 970 4GB DDR5, Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400, Samsung SSD 850 250GB, 2x Acer 32" Monitor

My bad. I read the post wrong. I thought

You said that when you had it on, it was clearer. It does get rid of jagged edges at a cost of blurring the image. Sorry.

I did 2 flights this morning with it off, and that is where it is remaining from now on. I love the clarity that I see now. 

It's much better off IMO. I can deal with a little bit of jagged edges with clear images and better performance.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael,

So with it off in P3D, do you substitute with nvidia inspector tweaks?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Michael,

So with it off in P3D, do you substitute with nvidia inspector tweaks?

-Jim

Indeed. I set SGSS = 4x in NI. Otherwise I get shimmering in the distance, some (but not all, whyever) jagged taxi lines and flickering facades.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Jim have you tried DSR in the Nivida control panel? I use 3x it stops 80 percent of the shimmering. Maybe loose a couple of fps.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV