Sign in to follow this  
Kaaron Gillett

Indepth comparison between P3D V2.5 and V3

I can't wait to see this tonight.  Sounds interesting.

To a prospective user, thanks that was honestly nicer than I thought.

I see Jordan's rig is a monster though and it's still silly how low the FPS are with those addons.  On final (in between the stutters) they were avg 16 just eyeballing it.  On my rig I'd get about 12 lol.  Pathetic.  I guess we're still far from 30 fps locked in this scenario.  Obviously I note his very high settings (and AI traffic!), but default clouds/weather.  Also I do note this video is kinda a worse case addon scenario... as Orbx NCA crushes VAS (and my performance even with the crane deletions).

I was actually surprised on the VAS...  It appears in the VAS monster scenarios is where v3 shines.  For the first part of the film the vas was only 300MB lower but as he got nearer to SFO the difference was clear and the VAS optimizations made really clear as it stretched to 500-600MB.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes, that was also what surprised me most about his video: how performance on his monster rig dropped near the end. We still have a long way to go...

Yes, that was also what surprised me most about his video: how performance on his monster rig dropped near the end. We still have a long way to go...

Two things though: fps always drops with video capture running. I'm sure fps would have been a good bit higher without it. I'm running v3 on a sub 4 ghz rig and it is much smoother.

Also, I get the impression he is running other background programs to put the video together--particularly the side-by-side shots.

Jim Young, on 02 Oct 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Excellent video and guide. I hope Rob does not mind if I pin this topic.

Best regards,

Not at all Jim, I've been meaning to do a similar comparisons video, but just haven't been able to make time ... barely had time to scrape up those videos I did make ... glad someone else took the time to do it.

Still haven't got my http://www.p3dwiki.com populated with information, settings, etc. ... but plan to work on it this weekend.

Cheers, Rob.

Still haven't got my http://www.p3dwiki.com populated with information, settings, etc. ... but plan to work on it this weekend.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten the wiki site up yet.  Seems like you have had plenty of time to do it in between your real life job in the KSFO area (and fighting traffic), your moderating duties here at AVSIM, some moderating at LM and your beta testing there for upgrades, and making several videos to show off a new feature or new addon for just released for P3D.  Oh!  And sometimes you respond with lengthy responses to members who are having issues and comment to topics in other forums here at AVSIM.  Then I think you are married too and you have those duties as well as I recall you race cars too.  I think you need to budget your time better so you can get the wiki site completed soon. :smile:

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Enjoyed that video,  great insight into V3 

I'm surprised you haven't gotten the wiki site up yet.  Seems like you have had plenty of time to do it in between your real life job in the KSFO area (and fighting traffic), your moderating duties here at AVSIM, some moderating at LM and your beta testing there for upgrades, and making several videos to show off a new feature or new addon for just released for P3D.  Oh!  And sometimes you respond with lengthy responses to members who are having issues and comment to topics in other forums here at AVSIM.  Then I think you are married too and you have those duties as well as I recall you race cars too.  I think you need to budget your time better so you can get the wiki site completed soon. :smile:

Best regards,

Rob is a machine      :cool:

That's a great overview of the new P3D v3.0 features.

I've done some testing myself yesterday comparing performance and VAS usage between 3.0 and 2.5 with this result:

My understanding of the behavior in the video is that P3D v3.0 only loads scenery that it needs therefore the VAS usage is much lower but it also means that it needs to do more scenery loading in-flight. When moving slowly at airports P3D v3.0 has higher FPS, but over extreemly crowded scenery FPS is a bit lower than P3D v2.5.

More loading - DeFrag your disk   OR  use SSD....

:Shame On You:

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

More loading - DeFrag your disk   OR  use SSD....

:Shame On You:

Both 2.5 and 3.0 are fully running on SSD. I'm just making an assumption that because 3.0 loads 600MB less VAS objects, it only seems to load objects when it needs them. Therefore 3.0 loads up scenarios more quickly. On the other hand 2.5 preloads a ton of object that it may or may not use, but when it does need them they have already been preloaded whereas 3.0 will always need to load new objects that it hasn't used yet.

Those crashes in the first video are a concern...he mentioned 2 PC crashes in the first 24 hours and that's before even installing most add-ons. Even my my trusty old FSX is more reliable than that would imply.

Regardless, will be purchasing P3Dv3 in the coming days/weeks. Can't resist.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

That's a great overview of the new P3D v3.0 features.

I've done some testing myself yesterday comparing performance and VAS usage between 3.0 and 2.5 with this result:

Nice video, appreciate the effort!

But I still dislike the fact that scenery "pops" in as it get loaded. I would like to the feature in newer games where scenery is slowly loaded/faded into the game as you approach it.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Those crashes in the first video are a concern...he mentioned 2 PC crashes in the first 24 hours and that's before even installing most add-ons. Even my my trusty old FSX is more reliable than that would imply.

Regardless, will be purchasing P3Dv3 in the coming days/weeks. Can't resist.

I think he said it was when he tried to use GSX. Likely a conflict with GSX more than an issue with P3D, which is to be expected. 

Nice video, appreciate the effort!

But I still dislike the fact that scenery "pops" in as it get loaded. I would like to the feature in newer games where scenery is slowly loaded/faded into the game as you approach it.

I was confused by that. In Jordans video everything loads smoothly on the horizon, in Bakas video things pop and look terrible. I think its something to do with their hardware or config. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Two things though: fps always drops with video capture running. I'm sure fps would have been a good bit higher without it. I'm running v3 on a sub 4 ghz rig and it is much smoother.

Also, I get the impression he is running other background programs to put the video together--particularly the side-by-side shots.

Regarding video capture, it depends on what software/hardware you use. I've found virtually no drop in performance (on 2.5) using nvidia ShadowPlay.

Jon Skiffington

Very nice vid.

So if one is satisfied with v2.5 and has everything set in a way that OOM's do not appear than v2.5 looks better than v3 as far as I can see from the vids.

In v3 scenery is jumping in , while in v2.5 it comes gradually.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0