Sign in to follow this  
Kaaron Gillett

Indepth comparison between P3D V2.5 and V3

V3 brought every single thing we had hoped for in a staple replacement for FSX. It's safe to say Lockheed have gone above and beyond our expectations and V3 is WELL deserving of another $60 or $200..A REAL first impressions...not just talking about updates and changes with default scenery...certain popular youtubers should have done better..

Mind I remind you every single essential add-on works albeit with some tweaks, though all should have updated installers to rectify any issues with installation.

All in all, to you nay- sayers, I extend a giant WE TOLD YOU SO

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow, I would agree that this is the kind of "first look" we needed for V3. All the biased feedback and claims without solid science never did us any good. This is a great video. 

One word: fantastic!

Well, some more. The side-by-side was very revealing, and just monitoring the frame rates and VAS usage it is pretty evident that LM has put a lot of work into the core P3D engine.

Now, off to purchase FSCubed!

Superb video !

This shows the superiority of v3 ...

WOW!

A super video!

Real nicely done and very informative!

Thank You very much for sharing!

Superb comparison with very valuable information, no "kids content", or "click the link in the description to get me money" style video!

Very nicely done!

I'll upgrade to V3 anytime soon!

Thanks a lot for your effort and work!

I agree, so tired of the "like and subscribe" epidemic. I actually dont think thats his video. I asked once the guy who makes those videos and he said he isnt on Avsim. May be wrong though. 

Superb comparison with very valuable information, no "kids content", or "click the link in the description to get me money" style video!

Very nicely done!

I'll upgrade to V3 anytime soon!

Thanks a lot for your effort and work!

Just so we're all clear here this isn't my video, it was just made by a very good friend of mine and I decided to share it so more people can actually see the superiority of V3 :) but thanks from us both!

I agree, so tired of the "like and subscribe" epidemic. I actually dont think thats his video. I asked once the guy who makes those videos and he said he isnt on Avsim. May be wrong though. 

Yeah sorry about that should have made it clear that it isn't my video haha  :smile: the person who made it is a good friend of mine though, just thought I should share to educate the doubting masses ;)

Great video. Exactly what many of us needed to know. It's like the comparison videos of FSX and FSX:SE where FSX usually crashed due to memory limitations.

Great video. Exactly what many of us needed to know. It's like the comparison videos of FSX and FSX:SE where FSX usually crashed due to memory limitations.

He's the same guy that did the FSX vs FSX SE one :D

Just so we're all clear here this isn't my video, it was just made by a very good friend of mine and I decided to share it so more people can actually see the superiority of V3 :) but thanks from us both!

Yeah sorry about that should have made it clear that it isn't my video haha  :smile: the person who made it is a good friend of mine though, just thought I should share to educate the doubting masses ;)

Thanks for clarifying and thanks for sharing. Guess I should subscribe to get these updates. 

He's the same guy that did the FSX vs FSX SE one :D

Ah, yes. Now I saw it  :wink:

Excellent video and guide.  I hope Rob does not mind if I pin this topic.

Best regards,

Seems like V3 is really a huge leap foward from the V2. Thank you!

I can't wait to see this tonight.  Sounds interesting.

To a prospective user, thanks that was honestly nicer than I thought.

I see Jordan's rig is a monster though and it's still silly how low the FPS are with those addons.  On final (in between the stutters) they were avg 16 just eyeballing it.  On my rig I'd get about 12 lol.  Pathetic.  I guess we're still far from 30 fps locked in this scenario.  Obviously I note his very high settings (and AI traffic!), but default clouds/weather.  Also I do note this video is kinda a worse case addon scenario... as Orbx NCA crushes VAS (and my performance even with the crane deletions).

I was actually surprised on the VAS...  It appears in the VAS monster scenarios is where v3 shines.  For the first part of the film the vas was only 300MB lower but as he got nearer to SFO the difference was clear and the VAS optimizations made really clear as it stretched to 500-600MB.

Yes, that was also what surprised me most about his video: how performance on his monster rig dropped near the end. We still have a long way to go...

Yes, that was also what surprised me most about his video: how performance on his monster rig dropped near the end. We still have a long way to go...

Two things though: fps always drops with video capture running. I'm sure fps would have been a good bit higher without it. I'm running v3 on a sub 4 ghz rig and it is much smoother.

Also, I get the impression he is running other background programs to put the video together--particularly the side-by-side shots.

Jim Young, on 02 Oct 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Excellent video and guide. I hope Rob does not mind if I pin this topic.

Best regards,

Not at all Jim, I've been meaning to do a similar comparisons video, but just haven't been able to make time ... barely had time to scrape up those videos I did make ... glad someone else took the time to do it.

Still haven't got my http://www.p3dwiki.com populated with information, settings, etc. ... but plan to work on it this weekend.

Cheers, Rob.

Still haven't got my http://www.p3dwiki.com populated with information, settings, etc. ... but plan to work on it this weekend.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten the wiki site up yet.  Seems like you have had plenty of time to do it in between your real life job in the KSFO area (and fighting traffic), your moderating duties here at AVSIM, some moderating at LM and your beta testing there for upgrades, and making several videos to show off a new feature or new addon for just released for P3D.  Oh!  And sometimes you respond with lengthy responses to members who are having issues and comment to topics in other forums here at AVSIM.  Then I think you are married too and you have those duties as well as I recall you race cars too.  I think you need to budget your time better so you can get the wiki site completed soon. :smile:

Best regards,

Enjoyed that video,  great insight into V3 

I'm surprised you haven't gotten the wiki site up yet.  Seems like you have had plenty of time to do it in between your real life job in the KSFO area (and fighting traffic), your moderating duties here at AVSIM, some moderating at LM and your beta testing there for upgrades, and making several videos to show off a new feature or new addon for just released for P3D.  Oh!  And sometimes you respond with lengthy responses to members who are having issues and comment to topics in other forums here at AVSIM.  Then I think you are married too and you have those duties as well as I recall you race cars too.  I think you need to budget your time better so you can get the wiki site completed soon. :smile:

Best regards,

Rob is a machine      :cool:

That's a great overview of the new P3D v3.0 features.

I've done some testing myself yesterday comparing performance and VAS usage between 3.0 and 2.5 with this result:

My understanding of the behavior in the video is that P3D v3.0 only loads scenery that it needs therefore the VAS usage is much lower but it also means that it needs to do more scenery loading in-flight. When moving slowly at airports P3D v3.0 has higher FPS, but over extreemly crowded scenery FPS is a bit lower than P3D v2.5.

More loading - DeFrag your disk   OR  use SSD....

:Shame On You:

More loading - DeFrag your disk   OR  use SSD....

:Shame On You:

Both 2.5 and 3.0 are fully running on SSD. I'm just making an assumption that because 3.0 loads 600MB less VAS objects, it only seems to load objects when it needs them. Therefore 3.0 loads up scenarios more quickly. On the other hand 2.5 preloads a ton of object that it may or may not use, but when it does need them they have already been preloaded whereas 3.0 will always need to load new objects that it hasn't used yet.