Sign in to follow this  
cbrdriver

Any advice on going to Windows 10?

You can see in my signature my system.

I'm using FSX:SE with:

NGX

iFly

Level-D

Incidentally, i also fly with FS9 for my PSS 757 and PSS 777.

Can anyone give insight into the problems i may face. Should i hold off longer?

Thanks

John Anderson

Windows 10, FSX:SE

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

Can anyone give insight into the problems i may face. Should i hold off longer?

The main ones from us are to avoid installing things in the Program Files directory, and pay attention to Admin rights, etc, but that's nothing new. Older products can be hit or miss. The NGX and 777 have been predominantly fine (especially while observing the above).

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle is quite right, I am on W10 with no issues, either put FSX on another drive, or give it a folder such as C:\FSX (for steam, you may need to poke around when you set it to install, and create a new steam library. It might then be something like C:\Steam\steamapps... etc etc) Make sure to run FSX as administrator by right clicking the EXE and choosing compatibility > run as administrator.

Sounds pretty cut and dry, from the viewpoint of a Windows 7 user. Thanks.

Has anyone seen new performance issues?

John Anderson

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

It generally has slightly better performance, but your mileage may vary...

Level-D 767 will not function well under Windows 10... reports of heavy stutter (think 2 second pauses every 4-5 seconds) to fully crashing the sim. There are no workarounds that seem successful in this case. The developer doesn't support anything above Win7. Between some unofficial suggestions from the vendor and lots of attempts by end users, there hasn't been a good workaround discovered yet.

It's recommended you read up at the official Level-D support forums for more information.

That's the only incompatibility I've found thusfar in my Windows 10 experience.

-Greg

It's recommended you read up at the official Level-D support forums for more information.

That's the only incompatibility I've found thusfar in my Windows 10 experience.

-Greg

Thanks, Greg. That was gonna be my next stop, but priority led me here first.

John Anderson

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

I have recently made a clean installation of Windows 10 on my computer.

FSX steam edition, pmdg 737mgx, aerosoft aiubus x bundle edition, fs2crew for ngx and airbus, pmdg 777 active sky next, ezdok cam, FSUIPC, lots of scenarios, navigraph for nav database, etc...

And I must say that Im very pleased with the results. I have not found one issue related with Windows 10 yet.

So based on my experience my advise is go for it.

if it isn't  broken  why change :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Microsoft really put it right this time. I think the old GEICO caveman could have even upgraded with no problem.

I've only flown a short hop in the NGX but so far, the only problem I've had was that the license for my virtual cdu was expecting me to be running W7, and i had to re license.

John Anderson

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

if it isn't  broken  why change :P

Seems W10 is causing causing some simmers to have issues, and I have heard that in a year or two MS might start charging a yearly fee for it like they do for office now. Microsoft doesn't make money giving products away for free, I guess. I'm sticking with W7, which works very well for me. I am also not fond of MS upgrading drivers when they feel like it unless I get the pro version. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I seemed to have spoken too soon.

FSUIPC didn't run well with version 4.91, but updating to 4.98 fixed that.

GeForce drivers also caused several unrecoverable freezes. . . again, fixed with an update. But now I'm back to a fuzzy VC and that same kind of scenery that you'd see in the very first Flight Sim. ( even after going back through my NGX intro and verifying all the settings)

Gonna have to do some research on Nvidia settings. . . anyone try Nvidia Inspector with Windows 10?

John Anderson

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

Seems W10 is causing causing some simmers to have issues, and I have heard that in a year or two MS might start charging a yearly fee for it like they do for office now. Microsoft doesn't make money giving products away for free, I guess. I'm sticking with W7, which works very well for me. I am also not fond of MS upgrading drivers when they feel like it unless I get the pro version. 

Microsoft isn't going to charge people for its use. The rumor got started because people got confused with how they were wording the update availability.

If you have Win 7, you can update for free for a while. If you wait past that point, there will be a charge for the update, but only for the update. It's a model similar to Apple's and Google's (for its Chromebooks, etc.). As an example, I purchased a full copy of Win 10 for my sim rig last month. I will not be charged to continue using the platform, though I may get charged at some point down the line to update to a new version of the OS (similar to how you had to pay to upgrade from Win XP to Win 7).

I have Win 10 on my sim rig and have had zero issues.

Gonna have to do some research on Nvidia settings. . . anyone try Nvidia Inspector with Windows 10?

I'm using it. Runs fine.

Keep in mind that NVIDIA drivers usually flush your inspector settings, so save yourself some work by exporting the profile settings (I forget how - the buttons across the top should be pretty self-explanatory to that end).

Kyle Rodgers

Microsoft isn't going to charge people for its use. The rumor got started because people got confused with how they were wording the update availability.

If you have Win 7, you can update for free for a while. If you wait past that point, there will be a charge for the update, but only for the update. It's a model similar to Apple's and Google's (for its Chromebooks, etc.). As an example, I purchased a full copy of Win 10 for my sim rig last month. I will not be charged to continue using the platform, though I may get charged at some point down the line to update to a new version of the OS (similar to how you had to pay to upgrade from Win XP to Win 7).

I have Win 10 on my sim rig and have had zero issues.

I'm using it. Runs fine.

Keep in mind that NVIDIA drivers usually flush your inspector settings, so save yourself some work by exporting the profile settings (I forget how - the buttons across the top should be pretty self-explanatory to that end).

You paid for your version of W10 so you probably won't be charged. Most people downloaded the free version, and those are the people that will possibly get hit with a subscription charge, if MS goes in that direction. Remember, MS can change the game plan anytime they feel like it, and have done so many times in the past. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Have to admit, after being apprehensive about the Window 10 update for my FSX rig, I finally took the plunge (full disclosure; I had to wipe my drive anyway due to my constant tinkering with FSX files).  All and all, while there were some minor issues with some add-ons (mostly with EZ-Dok), the reinstall went well and FSX:SE is working better with Windows 10 than it did with Windows 7.  

I'm not a FPS hawk, I just want the sim to be smooth and it is under the guide of Windows 10.  As others have reported here, seems 10 uses VAS more efficiently as I haven't run into a OOM yet (knocking on wood) after about a months use.  You don't seem to have very many add-ons so I think you will be satisfied with the upgrade.