Sign in to follow this  
Evan

windows 10 & v3

Exactly, I am going to stay with 7 as long as possible. There is no need to upgrade NOW, but the way Microsoft is pushing 10, practically begging people to install it, you can probably count on 7 being unusable for anything that's evolving rapidly (like flight simulators) within a few years.

For starters, DX12 will only be available 10 and sooner or later developers will make the transition to DX12. Same thing is happening with OpenGL and Vulkan, i.e. on the Linux side, so there's a major change in GPU driver design philosophy in progress. If you don't want to be left behind, you gotta move on at some point.

I actually understand quite well why Microsoft is forcing updates. Anybody who's ever helped a computer-illiterate person getting a system going again after a thorough mess up will understand! Windows has to work flawlessly on laptops, tablets an smart phones since Microsoft has decided that it's going to be one single OS to rule the whole universe of devices. The vast majority of users just want their chat and video apps to work without a hitch and never think (or even know) about things like drivers and optimization.

Well, as flight simmers we are not that kind of user and Microsoft has already shown with Flight how much they care about that niche...  If I need to tweak I'd rather do it on a platform that's tweak-friendly!

Moving to Linux is going to be a long term project for me. It was really only FSX and Prepar3D that kept me on Windows this long. Everything else I need an OS to do is already well covered. 

PFC Cirrus Yoke with Halls effect

PFC Rudder Pedals

PFC Digital Throttle Quadrant Console

Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I upgraded from W7 using the above flight sim equiment with no issues, enjoyed flight simming to it's fullest, then upgraded to W10 pro and the fun and games began.

Firstly, the trim wheel failed to work with W10, I spent days searching for work around, and failed, then gave up.

Then, the yoke,- without reason, W10 simply refused to install/recognise it, every time I plugged the cord into the back of the pc, or a powered USB hub, i got the W10 'ding, ding, ding' it'd flash briefly in Printers and Devices, but wouldn't be stable,

After that, the rudder pedals,- I could configure using W10 no problem, but P3D wouldn't see the rudder axes.

Having had a software friend come over to have a look, and an email from Ivan at Precision Flight Controls emailed saying, ' If you are using Windows 10, this is the issue. If not, please contact P3D as they have modified their software that is causing it to misinterpret the signals from the pedals. '  both advised going back to W7 which is what I've done, and now, and they are all working great again.

Nathan Brennan

Open the GPE and navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update.

Double click on "Configure Automatic Updates", and under "Configure automatic updating", choose which one you want. Save the setting and restart your computer.

The tool can be downloaded here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Thanks linux731

I heard with win10 you have no choice to stop updates unlike in win7.

Basically win10 updates cant be stopped or controlled in any way

I prefer to backup before updates, not sure youll get that with win10.

Do you guys really want an OS where you cant refuse updates on a Flight Simulator that walks on Stilettos, falls down even without being pushed. Add win10 unstoppable updates to that is gona be some hard work.

Read this in the press.

Read it as well.

Windows 10 updating automagically when it does.

Still no problems with Prepar3d or any other program used on my computer.

Think that some people use it as an excuse to dislike something. Haters gonna hate.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Well people are not hating it for a reason..a couple of days ago ,due to an automagic update, my saitek hardware stopped working..

Think that some people use it as an excuse to dislike something. Haters gonna hate.

And I think I am going to quote, just to preserve this elucidating analysis for posterity.

Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't backup. Especially flight simmers.

Daily mirror image backups have been a life saver for me many times. Especially running FSX.

1 -SSD 250gb © drive

1 -SSD 250gb (D) Flight (P3Dv3)

I back these up daily. Takes about 5 min total.

I can restore to any point in the past. I use Acronis True Image 2016, but there are many other great software options.

I've had no need to ever restore since moving to Windows 10 and P3DV3. However I will still continue to to do these daily mirror images, just in case.

Cheers

Steve

PFC Cirrus Yoke with Halls effect

PFC Rudder Pedals

PFC Digital Throttle Quadrant Console

Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I upgraded from W7 using the above flight sim equiment with no issues, enjoyed flight simming to it's fullest, then upgraded to W10 pro and the fun and games began.

Firstly, the trim wheel failed to work with W10, I spent days searching for work around, and failed, then gave up.

Then, the yoke,- without reason, W10 simply refused to install/recognise it, every time I plugged the cord into the back of the pc, or a powered USB hub, i got the W10 'ding, ding, ding' it'd flash briefly in Printers and Devices, but wouldn't be stable,

After that, the rudder pedals,- I could configure using W10 no problem, but P3D wouldn't see the rudder axes.

Having had a software friend come over to have a look, and an email from Ivan at Precision Flight Controls emailed saying, ' If you are using Windows 10, this is the issue. If not, please contact P3D as they have modified their software that is causing it to misinterpret the signals from the pedals. '  both advised going back to W7 which is what I've done, and now, and they are all working great again.

Upgrading to a brand new OS that has only been out a couple of months.  What could possibly go wrong    :Tounge:

Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't backup. Especially flight simmers.

Daily mirror image backups have been a life saver for me many times. Especially running FSX.

1 -SSD 250gb © drive

1 -SSD 250gb (D) Flight (P3Dv3)

I back these up daily. Takes about 5 min total.

I can restore to any point in the past. I use Acronis True Image 2016, but there are many other great software options.

I've had no need to ever restore since moving to Windows 10 and P3DV3. However I will still continue to to do these daily mirror images, just in case.

Cheers

Steve

Same here, I use Macrium Reflect which has saved me quite a few times, just replacing a damaged file. What I like most about it, is if my entire Hard drive blows up, I can buy a new one, install it in my PC, and within an hour or two the brand new hard drive is a duplicate of the one I just lost. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS