Sign in to follow this  
Tom Wright

An Addiction?

Hi All,

Just wanted to check I wasn't alone! I have 'phases' where I'm really into Flight Simulator and other times when I don't use it much. However when I am, like right now, I just get a bit obsessed with getting it running right and looking right, and buying add ons! Im scared to try and add up how much I've spent recently on payware airports and scenery. They just add so much to the immersion. I started off telling myself that I need at least two to fly between, then a few more to add some more options for flights, and before I knew it I'd built up a massive collection costing a small fortune! And I'm still eyeing up other ones, before I've even used half the ones I've just bought!

Does anyone else go through this or am I just an addict?!

• Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Of course it is a kind of addiction. Many symptoms are typical for one.

Try to stop flying, browsing AVSIM and checking addon shops/news portals for a month (!) and see how you react. =@

It was bad when I was flying for 2 VA's (Air Canada and British Airways) and I had to have a custom addon airport wherever I flew.  I have built up a nice collection of airports, I found some really nice freeware ones, but oh the time I spent installing and ensuring that everything was okay at each airport before starting a flight.

\Robert Hamlich/

Not just you, Tom. Having just bought a PFC yoke for my Christmas and birthday present to myself, I'm really, really, really trying not to be tempted by new aircraft, but I succumb to my addiction almost every time. RealAir Legacy v2 here I come!

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I have a spreadsheet I have been running for years with all of my addons, price included. I have spent an obscene amount of money of this stuff, and there doesn't appear to be an end in sight.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

You are absolutely not alone. I really try to limit the spending on add-ons but I still spend way too much. For me, it helps to prioritize spendings by looking at the add-ons in the pipeline (on news sites) and allowing myself to purchase a limited number of add-ons each month. It is easier not to buy a recently released add-on If you know that another add-on which you planned to buy for a long time will be released shortly... That way I'm currently postponing any spend on aircrafts waiting for the release of the FSLabs Airbus...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

HI Tom

No - you're not an addict but you are doing something that you really enjoy. I've been into FS for far too long but FSX with its longevity and add-ons just takes things to a whole new level (IMHO) than previous versions.

Bad day at the office - set up an enjoyable flight in a good plane and presto - relaxed!

All the add-ons mean that the escapism is quicker, the immersion is higher and the satisfaction of a good flight and/or procedure is more rewarding.

I've got one of those add-on record spreadsheets too. I keep it for purchase dates, order numbers, version control etc. Yeah, its got purchase price on the end too but I tend not to look at that column too often.

Looks like you've well and truly joined the club - you do know you'll never quite get over this flight slimming business?!?!?!

Best

Rupert

• Upvote 1

Best regards

Rupert

Tom, I could take several hours of flying lessons with the money I have spent on addons' so many which I don't use. I got to where I wouldn't fly between two airports unless they were pay ware so I've bought airports I only used a couple of times. That includes photo scenery and aircraft uninstalled for lack of interest. Yesterday I flew NGX to KSEA from KSLC, both default airports, and had as good a time as if I had been fighting performance hits from one of my detailed addons. Make FS serve you, not vise versa. Tell you the truth, I think my addiction is this fourm. I spend far more time here then simming.

Vic green

I have friends whose wives can't find them because they are at the pub or sneaking around the strip clubs etc.....With Flight Sim guys at least your wife knows where you are and what you are doing. Best hobby ever and harmless fun.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Does anyone else go through this or am I just an addict?!

You're in good company! I go through this almost on a yearly basis and judging by the twitches and ticks I've been having lately, I may be about to download P3D v3.1 and start the dance of a million add-on downloads.

Good to know! Guess I'll just keep at it then!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I have friends whose wives can't find them because they are at the pub or sneaking around the strip clubs etc.....With Flight Sim guys at least your wife knows where you are and what you are doing. Best hobby ever and harmless fun.

Are you playing on that darned computer again?  Don't you want to watch the show with me?

• Upvote 2

Gary Stewart

Are you playing on that darned computer again?  Don't you want to watch the show with me?

My biggest competition with my flight sim time is from my one year old daughter. She crawls on the foot pedals, pushes the pretty red LED button that powers off the machine and she likes playing with the yoke. Can't get upset with her

Matthew Kane

My Flight Sim PC is connected up to the living room TV. Whilst this means I can enjoy 46 inches of HD aviation goodness, it also means my flights have to be sacrificed when my other half wishes to watch TV, so I tend to only sim when she's out!

Tom Wright