Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

In which folder to install PMDG-737

It seems to me I read somewhere to not install the PMDG-737 into the default folder,but rather create a special folder.

As I do not remember where I read it I ask the question here.

Also: would you install Flight Simulator Deluxe Edition into the default folder ?

Hubert Werni

Herbert Werni

I don't know nothing about the installation of the 737 on a special folder. It is the FSX installation that should be done in other directory instead of the default one to avoid problems with Windows. The 737 must be installed in the FSX root folder (Steam Edition or not).

It seems to me I read somewhere to not install the PMDG-737 into the default folder,but rather create a special folder.

Incorrect.

Install FSX in any directory other than C:\Program Files\.

Simply run the NGX installer and it will install it into the sim folders. Do not attempt to relocate where it installs or it will not work.

Kyle Rodgers

As I do not remember where I read it I ask the question here.

Also: would you install Flight Simulator Deluxe Edition into the default folder ?

Hubert Werni

The forums are awash with installations that don't work properly because of installing outside of program files folders. A well known planner was fixed on AVISM last week simply by installing it to the default location it desired.

In my experience of supporting PCs, allowing stuff to install where it wants solves 90% of issues. Installing to a user made folder only solves half the problems of permissions and creates further problems down the road.

Install FSX into the stock location, *then before installing any addons*, add the Modify permission to the Users group on that program folder with explorer - properties, security, edit, choose users group, check Modify, Apply, OK.

That way, addons like the PMDGs get write access to a read-only section without having to install FSX outside of program files. Permissions are granted to the Users since they belong to the Users group. PMDG installers do not set the Modify permission for the Users group unfortunately.

If you do install outside of program files, make sure to also add the Modify permissions to that folder since you will discover down the road it is owned by the user and even admins don't have permission. If we make a folder that we intend to install FSX software into, it needs permissions for the Users group too.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Install FSX into the stock location, *then before installing any addons*, add the Modify permission to the Users group on that program folder with explorer - properties, security, edit, choose users group, check Modify, Apply, OK.

Steve you are providing information contrary to what PMDG advises for its products.... at least provide a caveat that this represents your opinion and not the of PMDG.

Dan Downs KCRP

I installed FSX on a SSD (I:\FSX) and it works great and is fast also.  I installed everything else be default.  Stuff  that need to go into the root of FSX winds up in the proper location.  Anything else usually looks at the registry and finds FSX. 

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Steve you are providing information contrary to what PMDG advises for its products.... at least provide a caveat that this represents your opinion and not the of PMDG.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact that the User does not have write permission to a read only folder. Software that installs read-write files to a read only folder should provide that permission rather than bewilder the user with requirements of installing other software. And I'm not so sure PMDG state that as a requirement either, they mention it as one way to avoid the permission problem. I stand by my recommendations.

PMDG "advises" that we could install FSX into a user created folder to avoid permissions problems for their products, but when contacted will suggest setting the User group Modify permission for systems with FSX already installed in the stock location.

I'm making two points, neither of which can be described as "providing information contrary to what PMDG advises for its products". Your raising of this as some kind of "issue", Dan, appears to shave credibility from the very handy advice I am giving. So I have to defend it.

One point I'm making, is that we don't "need" to install FSX into a user created folder, since if we allow it to install into the default location we can enable the Modify permission for the Users group for the PMDGs to write to files there. We become a member of the Users group when we log into Windows. The other is that if we do install to a user made folder, we understand that that folder is owned by the user, so it is best to add the permission for the Users group, that makes it OK for any subsequent user. When we install software to a user made folder we need to understand the consequences of that if something happens to the User account.

A third point I mingled in with that was that when FSX is installed into a non-stock location, there may be some software that doesn't like it, although fairly rare these days, and certain features may not work.

Another point I've had to make before, along these lines, is that many users think Admins have *god-like permissions*. They don't, they have "privileges". So in the case of the User created folder with software installed to it? Yes, this has come up several times, and the user has had to add permissions even though they are "Running as admin".

For folks coming to this discussion for information concerning P3D and Steam Edition FSX-SE in this regard to locating the sim:

In terms of caveats, I should mention that the stock default location of P3D, presents itself very similarly to the FSX (boxed) installation, and the PMDGs behave in the same manner in this regard to permissions.

However Steam Edition FSX-SE stock installation folder, the Users group already has permission. But the big difference with Steam Edition FSX-SE compared to FSX/P3D is that the sim forces Run as Admin on the executable. This means that some addons that communicate with FSX will also have to be Run as Admin, since the two programs will need to have "matching privileges" for certain under the hood functions to work as intended.

• Upvote 1

My name is Jamil Anderson. Im having the same problem. Everytime I open PMDG Operation Center. I keep getting an alert in the screenshot to update the pmdg 737-800/900 and 747-400. I click ok and get get the dos screen as shown in the screen shot. After I close the operation center then reopen. I get the same alert again to update pmdg 737-800/900 version from 1.10.6461 to 1.20.8465. PMDG 747-400 version from 3.00.8132 to 3.00.8466. This is been an ongoing issue. Does anyone have a solution for this.

Edited by jakhanis

3 minutes ago, jakhanis said:

Im having the same problem. Everytime I open PMDG Operation Center. I keep getting an alert in the screenshot to update the pmdg 737-800/900 and 747-400. I click ok and get get the dos screen as shown in the screen shot. After I close the operation center then reopen. I get the same alert again to update pmdg 737-800/900 version from 1.10.6461 to 1.20.8465. PMDG 747-400 version from 3.00.8132 to 3.00.8466. This is been an ongoing issue. Does anyone have a solution for this

It is not a good idea to "resurrect"  a 2 year old post. You can always open a new one.

For your issue please open a ticket through support.precisionmanuals.com.

Also please note that PMDG requires that users include a signature block with the user's name, first and last, in all posts in the PMDG forum.

Failure to include a signature will result in removal of the post without comment.

We strongly encourage users to set up a signature block in their AVSim user account, then you never have to worry to remember in the future!

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks for the info. This my 1st time reporting an issue. I never knew about the signature block and my first and last name had to be included. How do I get a signature block? Never done one. Also since you are with pmdg tech support. Can you or someone else look into my issue Ticket: 2C9-22298ACF-0411  

19 minutes ago, jakhanis said:

Thanks for the info. This my 1st time reporting an issue. I never knew about the signature block and my first and last name had to be included. How do I get a signature block? Never done one. Also since you are with pmdg tech support. Can you or someone else look into my issue Ticket: 2C9-22298ACF-0411  

Looks like Chris just responded in the support portal. For what it's worth. The ticket was submitted about 20 min ago. It's best just to wait for us to respond there. Posting here can occasionally cause wires to get crossed, or makes us wonder if the ticket has been sitting for quite a while (or gives that impression to some of the other members here).

Signatures can be set up in your user profile options - top right of the page.

Kyle Rodgers

21 minutes ago, jakhanis said:

I answered the ticket.

Regarding the signature, Click on your user name at the top right. Select Account settings and then signature. Put your first and last name on the singature block and save

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com