Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Discussion Thread for the "Ask Dovetail Games..." Thread!

Well, the flight lessons might be easy to pass for experienced simmers, someone like you I suppose.

I may be experienced at using flight simulators, but I am far away from being an experienced and proficient virtual pilot. That is why I was initially interested in DTG Flight School. I was hoping that it would be an extensive series of flight lessons that would give me both the time and level of instructional detail to really grasp the basics of instrument familiarity, circuit flying, and point to point navigation. This may well still be the case, but I have my doubts. I get the feeling that it might be too basic for my requirements. If I decide to purchase it, then I want to be confident that I will emerge on the other side with a solid understanding of (in particular) navigation between waypoints and airfields using VOR/DME and NDB beacons, and use of the various flight instruments and radios. Flight lessons in the past have been far too vague and rushed for my liking. I need a nice, patient virtual instructor who is prepared to give a flight n00b the necessary time to fully grasp the concepts, and then execute them with confidence. In fact, I would probably have been a useful beta tester for DTG Flight School, since I am a long time flight simmer who has never really taken the time to learn the basics properly. I just enjoy looking at the scenery too much!

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Based on the screenshots I have seen, I agree with him as far as the graphics are concerned. As for the flight lessons, it sounds to me like they are very short and basic, which is disappointing. The more I see and hear about DTG Flight School, the more convinced I am that it is not worth a place on my hard disk. Only time will tell whether DTG Flight Simulator will suffer the same fate.

At no point did Tim quantify his comments against the price or the attention span of newbie flyers. I take the point on more elaborate missions but that was a game design decision and a reasonable one given the target audiance. Very disapointed that Tim seemed to be put off with the simplifcation of access to simulator which is exactly the point of introducing this to new flyers - this alone tells me that Tim hasn't really understood whats going on and to push that point home he suggests an FSX version of Flight School - he does know DTG are making another simulator right?

I may not get many backers with me on this one but considering who the product is aimed for and the price, I really don't think it's turning out that bad.

The recent screenshots are also more and more encouraging as a product to have fun with along side P3D, FSX even for some of us veterans.

Oh dear, those ATC voices are hilarious LOL.

gb.

Yeah have to agree, I don't like it at all! I can let this slide for Flight School but I would be disapointed to have these in the full sim. I think the tech / approach with this might be ok, but it has to be more naturally sounding than that. My in car GPS can do a pretty good voice so I would expect this to be better in the full sim.

• Upvote 1