Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Discussion Thread for the "Ask Dovetail Games..." Thread!

The Landclass looks nothing like around White Waltham, the VFR landmarks such as the railway line and M4 motorway that are familiar to anyone who has flown into this field seem to be missing.

Because of the proximity to London control center it is very important here to know exactly where you are in relation to it's airspace.

Other than that it looks fine, how long it will hold the attention of the average gamer is any ones guess though. 

The Landclass looks nothing like around White Waltham, the VFR landmarks such as the railway line and M4 motorway that are familiar to anyone who has flown into this field seem to be missing.

Because of the proximity to London control center it is very important here to know exactly where you are in relation to it's airspace.

That is generally the case with any landclass scenery, and why some of us prefer photoscenery instead. PlayHorizon England & Wales may well be flawed, but at least when you look down, you are seeing what's really there!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That is generally the case with any landclass scenery, and why some of us prefer photoscenery instead. PlayHorizon England & Wales may well be flawed, but at least when you look down, you are seeing what's really there!

I guess he is comparing to what orbx does. They represent the landclass very closely to the real thing.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Is this really revelant to any Dovetail discussion? Seeing that Rex, Outerra & X-Plane pics are quite irrelevant to what Dovetail will give us? Great to compare random sunsets, but ????

If the discussion is currently trending on ways of depicting sunlight, sunset and atmospheric scattering, then yes. Wasn't this entire topic specifically created so that people could talk freely away from the main Dovetail question thread?

• Upvote 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Is this really revelant to any Dovetail discussion? Seeing that Rex, Outerra & X-Plane pics are quite irrelevant to what Dovetail will give us? Great to compare random sunsets, but ????

Well, for me it's because I like seeing at least an approximation of what real sky looks like, and I'd like to see that in the upcoming DTG sims. The Outerra and X-Plane screen shots are a lot closer to reality than the odd greenish sky with no vertical gradient in that DTG Flight School screen shot that I linked to. 

DTG Flight School and the later FS will inevitably be compared to the other sims and environment simulations out there. They might as well get it right the first time, and not rely on REX or other 3rd party fix-ups later on. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I do apologize for being grumpy. I've had my coffee, so much better now. Very interesting post.

• Upvote 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

That's not landclass data, things like railway lines or roadways are vectored data, like we get with addons like UTX or FTX Vector. Landclass is to match the appropriate textures and autogen to the type of areas. For example an industrial area would have factory buildings, less flora etc. A suburban residential area would place houses, trees, grass textures, urban, bigger buildings,, etc...

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I did not see any road traffic. disabled in settings? Or irrelevant to the purpose of Flight school? In that same vein, the main roads seemed different from in FSX/P3D. Is that what Orbx roads look like nowadays?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The new video which is a landing lesson demo looks like it is now available to public now. Here it is.

Looks like some texture creep, could be VSYNC problem.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have noticed the Compass has changed. Back in the EGX event in London, I saw the FSX-styled Compass.

I did not see any road traffic. disabled in settings? Or irrelevant to the purpose of Flight school? In that same vein, the main roads seemed different from in FSX/P3D. Is that what Orbx roads look like nowadays?

Actually, the road traffic is on. If you look at the motorway, you can see some road traffic.

Júnior Silva

Other than that it looks fine, how long it will hold the attention of the average gamer is any ones guess though.

That shouldn't be an issue since it's not aimed at the "average gamer" after all, I'd fancy that flight sim enthusiasts are above average! :LMAO:

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Watched the video a few times now. That cockpit is extremely well made, fantastic shaders and textures.

When the cub is on final, the soft reflections on the black right support (to the right of the main control panel) are amazing.

The Cub does not look all that special to be honest, no cockpit shadows that I can see.

The Cub does not look all that special to be honest, no cockpit shadows that I can see.

Sorry Glynn are we looking at the same video! The detailing in the cockpit is fantastic. The light shown over the controls is amazing, you see it more on the insomnia videos which has a better first person angle. I'm sure cockpit shadows will appear in the full sim version. Maybe it will appear in Flight School but you have to admit thats a level up on previous FSX default cockpits...

Look how narrow minded we have become. We are so used to gawking at unimpressive features such as "cockpit shadows" that we completely overlook the physical based rendering and dynamic reflections that are staring us right in the face. Just watch the video once more and look at the right hand strut of the cockpit and watch it for a while. That is beyond anything we have seen before. They said shadows are in the build, so probably just not in this demo. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson