Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Discussion Thread for the "Ask Dovetail Games..." Thread!

Agreed. I felt really uneasy when I read this. Is DT unable to produce a convincing in-game video?

Kind regards, Michael.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wouldn't basic flying tutorials include navigation lessons? There isn't much point in learning to fly a plane if you can't work out where you're going!

Is the content going to be $15 better than the lessons in FSX?

Will there be more content?

With Walmart or Dior lipstick added?

• Upvote 1

Please put your comments in this thread...

Wouldn't basic flying tutorials include navigation lessons? There isn't much point in learning to fly a plane if you can't work out where you're going!

I'd be surprised if the program includes anything beyond visual navigation by landmarks, with the ever-present option of just launching a moving map window to see where you are. 

I think that's consistent with introducing newcomers to the "fun of flying." Once you get into any real navigation with radio navaids or even realistic use of a GPS, it's more like "work" and maybe not so much "fun" for anyone with a casual interest. But I guess we'll see.

With the PPL, most navigation boils down to pilotage and dead reckoning and given that dead reckoning is probably the least fun navigation to do period, I doubt it's included. 

You get a little bit of VOR and ADF work with the PPL, but it's basically just using them to figure out your general location. 

Wait....... You want to buy from the windows store?  :shok:

• Upvote 2

Where is the in game footage? Seems very odd the question is being circumvented. Why would we only want to see "not in game footage" as the trailer? The only in game I saw were a few more static images it seems.

I think nobody is circumventing anything here. There is no in-game footage yet. That simple. This does not mean DTG can or shall not release one in the next future.

It is just a trailer. Please note that even the official trailer for FSX Steam was not an in-game footage.

Where is the problem?

Where is the in game footage? Seems very odd the question is being circumvented. Why would we only want to see "not in game footage" as the trailer? The only in game I saw were a few more static images it seems.

I believe it goes back to who the target audience is. Do you think someone who has never run a flight sim is going to care about how nice the trees look compared to FSX or whether there are cockpit shadows or not? Sure, WE do, but again, people who already know how to start a prop and get it off of ground are NOT the target audience of Flight School. A "boring" gameplay video won't capture these people's interest, but a dramatic cinematic will. (I'm still laughing at the pilot grunting while pulling the stick back, sounds like something I heard in a public restroom today)

My real burning question for Dovetail is a quite simple one- why no C172???? It seems to be one of the most common planes to learn to fly in, I'm rather shocked that they skipped over it.

• Upvote 1

I think nobody is circumventing anything here. There is no in-game footage yet. That simple. This does not mean DTG can or shall not release one in the next future.

It is just a trailer. Please note that even the official trailer for FSX Steam was not an in-game footage.

While there is no official video with in game footage, there is this, which seems to show they are using the FSX style mission system for the lessons.

You get a little bit of VOR and ADF wor​k with the PPL, but it's basically just using them to figure out your general location

I would expect that to be included in Flight School as a bare minimum. It's all very well talking about "fun", but you still have to teach the proper basics of flying if you want anything useful to come from the project.

I can understand why they would release a trailer with "cinematic" style footage, but I have never been a big fan of trailers/adverts that do not use real in game footage. In fact, I was under the impression that this had been changed at some point in the past, but I guess all that really happened was that advertisers were simply told to insert "not in game footage" if they were using cinematics instead.

Let's not make a storm in a cup of water guys....

Yesterday I installed the latest version of IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, which as a surprise was brought to 64 bit.  Just because of that, and although there was no noticeble in overall FPS, stability inrcreased  considerably, 80 simultaneoous aircraft in the skies plus tanks on ground, beautifuly rendered weather and many many objects allover the places, plus the great Moscow Map, loaded and ran flawlessly for the whole duration of my online sessions...

Just for the stability tha 64 bit will bring, first with the Flying School and latter with their Flight Sim, don't you think it is more than worse being happy ?

• Upvote 1

I can understand why they would release a trailer with "cinematic" style footage, but I have never been a big fan of trailers/adverts that do not use real in game footage. In fact, I was under the impression that this had been changed at some point in the past, but I guess all that really happened was that advertisers were simply told to insert "not in game footage" if they were using cinematics instead.

For the record, I'm no fan of it either. I'm hoping they'll target us more experienced folks when it comes time to unveil and talk about the full simulation later this year. Logically, by then the newbs will have gone through school, the target audience should shift to more seasoned users....right Dovetail?? :-)

Oh, and the stability of 64 bit is what I look forward to the most. I'm not a computer genius or anything, but does this mean that DFS will use graphics card and RAM more and not just put everything on the processor like FSX?

Tempted just to try it out...

Do we know 

a, if Simconnect/plug-ins such as FSUIPC will be supported?

b, Whose Cherokee is included?

Two Pipers and no Cessna's sounds like a licensing deal...

I've got the A2A Cherokee, so sort of wish a different plane was included...but heigh-ho, never mind :)

Cheers

Keith

Tempted just to try it out...

Do we know 

a, if Simconnect/plug-ins such as FSUIPC will be supported?

b, Whose Cherokee is included?

Two Pipers and no Cessna's sounds like a licensing deal...

I've got the A2A Cherokee, so sort of wish a different plane was included...but heigh-ho, never mind :)

Cheers

Keith

For Flight School As for A , since no addons will be supported, probably will not be needed. I'm sure there will be some kind of interface for addons/plugins when DFS is release later this year. (We need an acronym for Flight School, since we can't use DFS, may I suggest DFSL?)

It does sound like that's the only teaching of navigation we'll get in Flight School.

I would prefer a lot more obviously.

However, Flight School apparently covers LAPL, PPL and Night Flying.

None of those as I understand it need instrument navigation or more than a basic understanding of how VOR and ADF work.

From what Stephen Hood has said, its possible we'll get DLC for DFS which has further Flight School type stuff in it, and I'd look forward to that.

edit:  I wrote this before seeing the video of Kyle Rogers.

Ironically, he seemed to be saying that PPL does have more nav radio stuff in it than I thought.

But he also seemed to think that all training in Flight School will be in a UK based flight school, which I don't think is the case.

Interesting thoughts thanks for posting it.

Yeah, tbh I think we're overreacting (myself included); as Flyingmonkey said, seasoned simmers who nitpick over shadows and torque parameters are clearly not the target market for this $12 set of beginners tutorials, so their choice to use concept art in the trailer is perfectly reasonable.

I'm a  torque Nut scotchegg, and yet, I am all for it :-)

Let's see where this huge expectations go, but somehow I think I will not get disappointed :-)

Heheh... 2 full weeks ?  That's too benevolent scotchegg.... 6 days max....

No, kidding, I really have to find some way to get away from the Combat Flightsim stuff - it's just too good flight dynamics wise, but I feel sooooo ridiculous playing war games :-/

And other than that, what's the purpose of flying around Criema in a p51d, Bf109k4 or Fw190 ?  

At least in DTG, X-Plane, MSFS, I can go World wide, and.... stay away from countless our dogfighting :-)

Heheh... 2 full weeks ?  That's too benevolent scotchegg.... 6 days max....

No, kidding, I really have to find some way to get away from the Combat Flightsim stuff - it's just too good flight dynamics wise, but I feel sooooo ridiculous playing war games :-/

And other than that, what's the purpose of flying around Criema in a p51d, Bf109k4 or Fw190 ?  

At least in DTG, X-Plane, MSFS, I can go World wide, and.... stay away from countless our dogfighting :-)

This tbh

War thunder already does most of the stuff people want from dtg but is a limited war game

I might start playing it again

Wait....... You want to buy from the windows store?  :shok:

lol, I would rather just download from Dovetail, but that retail channel is not going to be available. I would rather get it from the Windows Store than have to install Steam in order for me to fly. I enjoy that freedom with FSX, X-Plane and P3D, I even have BC2 that doesn't require Origin to be installed.

Since Windows Store is baked into the OS, at least it's transparent. I've just had bad experiences having to install other software to run software which runs software.

Waiting on the mods.... :)

Martin: when can we expect to see a new batch of screenshots and/or videos of Flight School?

I second that question.