Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Benefits of using a 4k TV?

4K at 30hz has brought the same eureka moment in P3D that the half refresh Vsync tweak brought to FSX. Being able to force the sim to run at 30fps in full screen and no need for any external AA has really transformed the experience for me. I always struggled to obtain smoothness in P3D at 60hz when the frames dropped at heavy airports, but a constant 30fps is however achievable with a bit of care and I'm a very happy bunny now. Anyone who isn't on board with 4k/30hz is really missing out.

I also made the The switch from 60 Hz to 30 and the results are outstanding butter smooth flight

- Paul Cartier

I wonder if it relates also to what video card is used. I have two 1070's in SLI and just installed a 40" 4K monitor. I run it at 3840x2160 @ 60hz . I use no AA or NVI at all. I lock fps at 20 and it's is smooth as silk.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

In none of these discussions of 4k have I yet seen anyone mention the VAS footprint increase. I know with DX 11 that all of the display memory doesn't necessarily count against the 32 bit 4 GB limit but in DX 9 FSX it certainly does. Just wondering how much more VAS space it costs you to run in 4k compared to a 1920 x 1080 display? Has anyone tested it with the same AA settings? Any problems with VAS doing long hauls etc?

In none of these discussions of 4k have I yet seen anyone mention the VAS footprint increase. I know with DX 11 that all of the display memory doesn't necessarily count against the 32 bit 4 GB limit but in DX 9 FSX it certainly does. Just wondering how much more VAS space it costs you to run in 4k compared to a 1920 x 1080 display? Has anyone tested it with the same AA settings? Any problems with VAS doing long hauls etc?

Take this with a grant of salt as i did not do a 100% compare but i know my VAS in 1080P at EKCH and in 4K it was slightly higher but not much . I would ca around 75-150MB

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

....Anyone who isn't on board with 4k/30hz is really missing out. 

Full agree on that! I am using a 50 inch 4K Screen (flat) on an old GTX 780 Ti...works amazingly smooth, even with volumetric fog. Very rare that frames drop below 30 fps. Of course, no external AA possible with this card, but 8 MSAA is fine for me.

I've never run out of VAS in P3D whilst running 4K.

...No issues here either. Always above 1 GB free VAS, according to FSUIPC log file. Just do not exaggerate on the LOD radius and the texture size.

Do not forget to clear the shader cache when you change to a new resolution - I did and had constant CTD....no issue any more since I deleted the cache.

• Upvote 1

I am thinking about changing my large screen 1080p tv to a 4k tv.  It's clear that many people find the 30hz setup to be very smooth. Question is how do you know if a tv will accept 30 hz.

Even on the manufacturers own websites it's difficult to find anything about alternative synch rates like 30 hz,  Most of the available info is about inflated claims for incredibly high Motion Rates.

Is it safe to assume most modern 4k tvs will accept 30 hz, or is it only the top brand, top price sets which will do this.

Is there any longer term risk in just trying it.

John B

I'm using a 4K monitor. I have a Sony 4K tv and tried that but it was just too big!

Mine is a fairly inexpensive AOC U2879VF, 28 inch. £274 from

Amazon currently which is a darn sight less than my previous Iiyama 27 inch IPS...

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Yesterday I bought 40 inch 4k philips monitor. Absolutelly stunning. Not new, but for 350£ it was bargain.

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

I am thinking about changing my large screen 1080p tv to a 4k tv.  It's clear that many people find the 30hz setup to be very smooth. Question is how do you know if a tv will accept 30 hz.

Even on the manufacturers own websites it's difficult to find anything about alternative synch rates like 30 hz,  Most of the available info is about inflated claims for incredibly high Motion Rates.

Is it safe to assume most modern 4k tvs will accept 30 hz, or is it only the top brand, top price sets which will do this.

Is there any longer term risk in just trying it.

Mine is from Philips 

49" 49PUT6101 30/60HZ 4K output /input on all hdmi´s (2.0)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I read this thread when it was first posted.  I tried the 30Hz setting but didn't notice a difference and went back to 60Hz.  As the nVidia driver has matured a little more since then I have been able to push the sim options to the point where it looks absolutely amazing but I have become increasingly aware of "micro stutters" when panning my view with my Track Ir or looking outside.  It appears to me that it has to do with the black contrasts in the scenery when flying below 1000' and is mostly caused when there is a great deal of vegetation and foliage when depicted in the sim.  

I came across a post where the user changed the HDMI input from the default TV setting to HDMI PC on the input selection screen and I found personally that my visual experience changed for the better, it seemed more smooth and natural.

I gave the 30Hz setting another chance today after reading the thread.  I have to say that I am pretty amazed at how much the sim has evolved in the realm of smoothness.  My eyes do not feel as strained after flying for a long period of time which is new to me. 

Currently I am using a LG 4K UHD 40UB8000 running a resolution of 4096x2160 but look forward to switching to a larger curved screen mounted on the wall.

Thanks everyone for this very informative discussion.

Rob 

\Robert Hamlich/

I have bought my 55'' TV screen recently...rather cheap model. No issues with 30 Hz, I think most if not all TV on the market run with that refresh rate.

hahahah, funny Rob that you included that in the guide! :)

Thanks for making this! Will come in handy!

I have tried setting my TV to 30Hz and notice it's a bit laggy, so I switched back to 60Hz, much better performance for me in 60Hz.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

hahahah, funny Rob that you included that in the guide! :)

Thanks for making this! Will come in handy!

I have tried setting my TV to 30Hz and notice it's a bit laggy, so I switched back to 60Hz, much better performance for me in 60Hz.

Have you tried with unlimited FPS (and with tripple buffering as an option) VSYNC on ?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png