Sign in to follow this  
AceHigh

changing default scenery cfg order

We don't know who you are either. But never, ever, assume you can come here and tell other members what they can, and cannot, do. If you're not ready for the answer, don't ask the question. As you have yourself have said "...that's enough for you".

Doug

it was a question !!!!!!!!!

I did tell anyone what they can and cannot do ,, all I said is if you are not going to help or not answer the question don't post any thing ,, BASHING NEW MEMBERS , is no way to help ,, all it does is discourage the new member and others that have not signed up yet not want to sign up and new members to bad mouth avsim

forums are suppose to be for support,,, not bashing and if that is how you all operate here ,,,, I am sure I can get help else where, and I will let all know how you people operate here at avsim

I think they call it BULLYING  ( I THINK THAT WORD SUMS IT UP HOW YOU OPERATE HERE AT AVSIM, you don't want to help ,, you want to bash)

Which is not nice for any one, Now I understand what I have read in other forums about avsim ,, that is why I never signed up years ago and I am beginning to regret signing up at all ,,

Thank you to the members that did help

forums are suppose to be for support,,, not bashing and if that is how you all operate here ,,,, I am sure I can get help else where, and I will let all know how you people operate here at avsim

Surely  you wern't being  serious  with this  statement,  that everyone?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

@ Pet_Auau

No Not every one, wrong choice of words/word,, just a little aggravated when I wrote that,,,  

I appreciate the help I did get ,, and THANK YOU

so I apologize to the other members ,, I did not mean all/everyone ,,only a few, I don't have to point out or say names, they know who they are ,,,

Thanks for pointing that out to me Pete

Jim

the key words are NOT TO DISCREDIT ACES

which means I am not discrediting any thing they did ,, just saying some of the things they did do not make sense,,, now if their is a reason for doing what they did it would be nice to know

You see where the critisism comes? You keep saying "not to discredit ACES" but then say "some of the things they did, do not make sense." Then in your other posts you say they could have done better at certain aspects.

When you make comments like this then your bound to get the replies you got. No one is bullying you, I certainly wasn't, but like I said, you make comments like that, your bound to get some comments back that might make you feel bullied.

As someone else said, the folks that designed this are professional software developers, not some kids in the garage so to speak. If they put something like the scenery order in a certain way, then it was most likely for a reason. Why they did it that way? Who knows and unless one of the former team member tells us, then we'll likely never know. Btw, some of them still post here from time to time, Phil Taylor being one of them. Being the professionals they were, I'm sure in all the years they spent developing FSX, I'm sure the order of the scenery library made perfect sense to them.

This thread has probably run its course by now.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jim

okay I see where that might cause questioning

but they also came out with sp1 and sp2   ,,, WHY,,, because they had to change what they did !!!!!!!!!  and then Acceleration  which is mostly why sp2 came out ,,, but MS disbanded Aces right after Acceleration ,,, and we all know FSX / Acceleration / SP2 ,,, still need fixes / work done on it !!!!!!!! 

so you tell me why I am questioning some of the things they did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention 10 years in the Military ,, dealing with not making sense,, , then changing the way they did it later to a way that does make sense !!!!!!

@Poppit

has this thread run its course ,,, Might of, but with silly things like you did just makes it worse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go back to Pogo and play your poppit

so you tell me why I am questioning some of the things they did

Don't  know  why  you keep  going  on about it  all the time  you already  mentioned  it  in every  post   so far,   as  for  your  post above  you mentioned  users  bullying  you  and  than  you  do the  same ,  Poppet  does  have  a first  name   that  you could  have  used, but  instead  misspelt  don't  know  if  it  was intentional  or  not.  And I do agree with  Elaine  this  thread  has  gone  way past  its life  

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Don't  know  why  you keep  going  on about it  all the time  you already  mentioned  it  in every  post   so far,   as  for  your  post above  you mentioned  users  bullying  you  and  than  you  do the  same ,  Poppet  does  have  a first  name   that  you could  have  used, but  instead  misspelt  don't  know  if  it  was intentional  or  not.  And I do agree with  Elaine  this  thread  has  gone  way past  its life  

Pete

Missed spelled was a typo

did not see her first name or I would have used it

and would not have said a word to him ,,,had he not posted the CHILDS SCRIBLING NOTE ,,, Some of these people bring stuff on them selves, or they just like to start/Keep things going and aggravate other people even more ,,,  

because I was made out to be a fool for asking the question that I did,,, and for saying that some of what Aces did with FSX does not make sense ,,,

it was a legit question ,, and some of what aces did, does not make sense but they are engineers with lots of experience almost like God, and don't make mistakes ,, but they are not  God, they are Human and Humans make mistakes , overlook , or even forget sometimes ,, Sp1 and Sp2 and Acceleration ,, sais that ,,, and I give Aces a lot of credit for what they have done,, and I thank them for it too,, I enjoy FSX ,,, but I don't need the bull or the horse crap that I got for asking a question ,,, or stating a opinion ,,, THAT IS JUST WRONG PERIOD , then Elaine coming up with that child scribble HORSE CRAP...  

Thank You

Having just read this entire thread, it seems the answers offered to his question about order in the scenery.cfg could be re-stated with a little more clarification.

For the items AceHigh identified, the original answer of "it makes no difference" is still accurate. However, I did notice some addon scenery items in his list (like Edwards AFB), so I'll offer some additional thoughts for consideration. You may already know this, but just in case, in the scenery.cfg, the "Layer" number is the load order, not the "Area." Recommend you do not change the load order of any of the stock scenery - everything that has a lower Layer number than "Addon Scenery."

If you add an addon scenery item that adds something to stock scenery or completely replaces the stock scenery, then it must load after the stock scenery item.

There are many folks in this AVSIM community who have far more knowledge and experience than me, so I come here to learn. Hope this helps with your question.

Thanks David

all the scenery listed in the CFG posted here is FSX and Acceleration

so Edwards AFB and most of the other cities you see listed are from Acceleration Pack ,,, I have not installed any addon Scenery at all yet,,, this being a clean install of FSX + Acceleration

example to what I was getting at

they have North America broke up in to 3 sections (NA Central then NA East then NA West which gives NA west higher priority the East and East higher then Central (my thought is why not put them in a order that left to right of the whole world so when FSX is polling the Files not searching all over EX EAST - Central - West ,,, possibly causing stutters lags or pauses because of the searching , ----I DONT KNOW THIS IS WHY I ASKED

and have higher priority going to the higher layer number (example of that is layer number 120 or 119 is the last in the list, which would make it the 1st priority,, it would be number 1 in the FSX Lib)

Even though I have FSX on its own SSD I still get pauses and stutters, stutters are bad even in remote area such as KNIP

CPU Haswell 4700K OC to 4.7 Gtx 980SC 16GB of 2666 11 13 13 35 T2 timings OS on its own SSD and FSX on its own SSD both Samsung 850Pros ( I should not be seeing lags or stutters )

Thank You

Thanks David

all the scenery listed in the CFG posted here is FSX and Acceleration

so Edwards AFB and most of the other cities you see listed are from Acceleration Pack ,,, I have not installed any addon Scenery at all yet,,, this being a clean install of FSX + Acceleration

example to what I was getting at

they have North America broke up in to 3 sections (NA Central then NA East then NA West which gives NA west higher priority the East and East higher then Central (my thought is why not put them in a order that left to right of the whole world so when FSX is polling the Files not searching all over EX EAST - Central - West ,,, possibly causing stutters lags or pauses because of the searching , ----I DONT KNOW THIS IS WHY I ASKED

and have higher priority going to the higher layer number (example of that is layer number 120 or 119 is the last in the list, which would make it the 1st priority,, it would be number 1 in the FSX Lib)

Even though I have FSX on its own SSD I still get pauses and stutters, stutters are bad even in remote area such as KNIP

CPU Haswell 4700K OC to 4.7 Gtx 980SC 16GB of 2666 11 13 13 35 T2 timings OS on its own SSD and FSX on its own SSD both Samsung 850Pros ( I should not be seeing lags or stutters )

Thank You

With that type of system, I'm pretty sure your stutters or lags are not associated with your scenery.cfg. I have less muscle in my PC, and your specs just tell me not to bother paying for higher end stuff. I get stutters too, but my frame rates are high after I take off and before my enroute descent, and they drop like a rock when I'm getting close to the ground. I've also attributed that drop in fps to my weather addon program - REX Essential Plus. I get no stutters from stock scenery at all.

David

I have a custom built system ( I built it, the tower is Thermal take Element V the Mother Board is Asus Maximus VI Hero the PSU 850 Watt Corsair ) the rest of the hardware is listed above CPU on a Custom Built liquid Cooling Loop the rest on Air

right now my FSX install is Stock NO ADDONS yet,,, I get high FPS but still get the Stutters

Thank You

As far as I know, the layer ordering in scenery.cfg is only used when areas overlap, so that exclusions are applied correctly.

For file searching FSX builds what I understand is a quadtree spatial index. If you ever add/remove/modify any file in a scenery folder, FSX will show a screen indicating it's rebuilding the indexes. I don't think scenery.cfg ordering has anything to do with how FSX does file lookup. If you have made some measurements of file access that indicate otherwise please post them.

Highly recommended reading:

- Adam Szofran's paper on FS global terrain technology

- The FSX terrain SDK documentation

Barry Friedman

David

right now my FSX install is Stock NO ADDONS yet,,, I get high FPS but still get the Stutters

Check scenery settings and make sure you have boats and road traffic set at zero. Those are known performance eaters.

Anti-virus can cause problems. Make sure you set FSX folders to exclude for scanning purposes.

Finally Windows Search Indexing is not really needed on a FSX computer. Disable it and performance will improve a little.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@ Barry Thank You I will look these up and Read

Highly recommended reading:

- Adam Szofran's paper on FS global terrain technology

- The FSX terrain SDK documentation

If you have made some measurements of file access that indicate otherwise please post them, No I haven't, if I do I will post the results

@ Ray

FSX is Excluded from my virus

Indexing is turned off

Boats and cars are not off they are at 20 on the slider, I will turn off and Check

Thank You