Sign in to follow this  
KNOSSOS

Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA)

I too have preferred Adam's Presets and, despite these observed differences, what I'm seeing on my recently calibrated monitor during normal flights is little short of being spectacular and, in my real world experience, very close to being natural in appearance. For the purposes of this exercise we are both using the same REX4 TD Sky textures. However, unlike yourselves I have never felt the need to make further adjustments to Adam's Presets, they just feel right

Hey Mike,

Yes, I have noticed the other thread. I could not get involved in that one as I do not have NZNI or NZSI addons. The strange thing for me is that I am using the same suggested three REX4 sky texture sets that Adam said he is using. I also use REX4 for my clouds and I have AS16 to drive the weather. Everything is spot on except my ocean water which is a rather bright and saturated blue. It gets brighter further out in the distance too it seems. Maybe my water texture, which is also a REX4 set is the problem? I did select a one of the dark water themes. What are you and Adam using for your water textures?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

What are you and Adam using for your water textures?

Hi Greg,

Can't speak for Adam (he has been trying to avoid water in our investigations) whereas I am using water and wave textures supplied by ENVTEX. I had to change to REX4 TD for the Sky Textures as part of my efforts to keep as close to Adam's installation as possible. He uses FEX Clouds which I don't have. Instead I use those provided by ENVTEX along with ASCA Integration.

Regards,

Mike

I tried Adam_pta20_10 and although I find nothing wrong with it, I liked more Preset-thopat-1_4 and a bit even more AURP v1.0 Prologue, the one I currently use and I find almost perfectly match to my monitor and the rest P3D settings.

With neither I didn't have any "too bright when in spot view" issues.

Some modify Brightness Bloom and Saturation via PTA.exe, with some you have to do it manually.

I tried Adam_pta20_10 and although I find nothing wrong with it, I liked more Preset-thopat-1_4 and a bit even more AURP v1.0 Prologue, the one I currently use and I find almost perfectly match to my monitor and the rest P3D settings.

With neither I didn't have any "too bright when in spot view" issues.

Some modify Brightness Bloom and Saturation via PTA.exe, with some you have to do it manually.

I steered clear of adding any changes to prepar3d.cfg via PTA presets for a long time, as I didn't want to force config changes on users' systems that were strictly nothing to do with PTA - and could upset an otherwise finely balanced P3D.

However - I found many people were forgetting to change HDR values from previous presets, so with 21_10 I added those 3 values - along with additional lines to enable tesselation (which PTA needs ) and Dusk/dawn smoothing.

As to general "my display is too bright" questions, I'd point people to this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/503705-generic-pta-testing-scenario-suggestions-please/

It's turned into a rather complex discussion, but there's a LOT of really useful information in there (thanks, Mike) as to why all our setups can look so different. The general principle is to grab one of my test archives (which has a scenario and reference pic) and compare it with a reference pic on your system. NB: You must use the "V" key to save the shot - and it must be in TIFF format.

Both of these shots will be in raw format - before any local monitor or display/post-processing corrections kick in. The theory is that they should be identical. In general, I'd suggest to NOT teak P3D HDr settings if you can avoid it: make your adjustments in your monitor setup.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Using Adams latest preset and have to say while looking down at the shadows the clouds are casting on the terrain, they have this jittery, flicking, almost digitized type look everywhere. Any ideas what setting to adjust that? Shadow sliders in p3d are at max. It's almost like there are two textures sliding over the top of each other or two settings not quite synced up for cloud shadows which manifests into what I'm seeing.

Hmmmm ... I don't get that. There was an issue with an earlier version of PTA.exe, where the shadows were sometimesw square or "blocky", but that's been fixed. I'm wondering whether it might be a fog issue <?>. Have you tried toggling "Volumetric Fog" on/off in P3D? Is the preset customised/modified in any way - particularly with respect to cloud sizes etc.?

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Anyone knows if this cutted shadows are a PTA, P3D or AF2016 issue? The cut change with the angle of the camera

shadows8lu5d.jpg

Well, I myself am not getting shadows over the water anymore (for quite an amount of time, actually). What might be wrong? Over the land it's just as perfect.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Well, I myself am not getting shadows over the water anymore (for quite an amount of time, actually). What might be wrong? Over the land it's just as perfect.

Is it PTA related issue? (how to check : http://www.avsim.com/topic/489018-prepar3d-tweak-assistant-pta/page-59#entry3573332 )

If yes, pls send me your preset to trifonov.geo@gmail.com. I'll try to check it out.

Regards,

Any plans to use this wonderful creation on X-Plane, please?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Any plans to use this wonderful creation on X-Plane, please?

Nope.

I really hope someone will resurrect X-Plane 11 compatible version of RTH when X11 become stable.  :dance:

Anyone knows if this cutted shadows are a PTA, P3D or AF2016 issue? The cut change with the angle of the camera

shadows8lu5d.jpg

This looks like you have limited the clouds shadow draw distance in P3D settings.

Guys I dont want to hijack this thread for solving my Problems but as PTa is a lot about clouds and shadows I wonder if anyone of you ever had the issue with black squares in the mountains. I see Adam flying a lot in the mountains... I am not able to reproduce it, sometimes it looks great with clouds arround the mountain caps and sometimes, at some point of day, black squares kick in. May be depending on the angle of the sun and the used cloud type.

2017-1-21_21-25-14-975.jpg

2017-2-21_12-54-9-256.jpg

Guys, I can't find a link to PTA2.0 download. Where is it? On Yuriy's PTA page http://1coder.ru/PTA/downloads.html there's only 2.10 update link in the Download section. 

Thanks,

PS: Ok, I understand that is full PTA exe v2.1.0

This looks like you have limited the clouds shadow draw distance in P3D settings.

Guys I dont want to hijack this thread for solving my Problems but as PTa is a lot about clouds and shadows I wonder if anyone of you ever had the issue with black squares in the mountains. I see Adam flying a lot in the mountains... I am not able to reproduce it, sometimes it looks great with clouds arround the mountain caps and sometimes, at some point of day, black squares kick in. May be depending on the angle of the sun and the used cloud type.

2017-1-21_21-25-14-975.jpg

2017-2-21_12-54-9-256.jpg

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic, but could you please tell me what sky texture you're using in this first picture of yours? I tried several from REX, but they make a very blueish fog/mist, so currently I'm using one that is quite similar to your second picture, which leads to a perfect fog/mist color, although the sky is too light-blue for my taste. Thanks a lot!

Nope.

I really hope someone will resurrect X-Plane 11 compatible version of RTH when X11 become stable.  :dance:

Is it PTA related issue? (how to check : http://www.avsim.com/topic/489018-prepar3d-tweak-assistant-pta/page-59#entry3573332 )

If yes, pls send me your preset to trifonov.geo@gmail.com. I'll try to check it out.

Regards,

Thanks a lot, Yuri. I restored the original shaders in order to test them, in fact they make the cloud shadows more visible over the water (but not that much for my taste). It appears that my custom preset makes some changes to the water that the shadows appear even more faint, if you will. I turn all reflections OFF, but make the environmental reflections tweak a little bit high, not sure if it makes some difference, though. I'll observe more.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic, but could you please tell me what sky texture you're using in this first picture of yours? I tried several from REX, but they make a very blueish fog/mist, so currently I'm using one that is quite similar to your second picture, which leads to a perfect fog/mist color, although the sky is too light-blue for my taste. Thanks a lot

Hey there, to be honest I am not sure wich sky texture it is as I have recently changed them again. I think it is the one from navidh (http://navidh.se/misc_navids_skyset_2016_v3.html) - see my images of it here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/490178-prepar3d-tweak-assistant-pta-screenshots-presets/page-16#entry3573319 This one is great - never got that with REX.

It could also be one out of the 10 day cycle I have installed for testing but not sure, some of them are very similar: http://1coder.ru/SKY/screens.html

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.