Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

OOMs are back... partially

Hi all,

Just as a sidenote: I had my very first OOM in Prepar3d yesterday when performing a flight from Stockholm Arlanda to Frankfurt Intl. Airport using the ORBX ESSA scenery along with the Aerosoft Frankfurt V2 scenery, plus the AS A319, FTX Vector, FTX Global, REX 4 TD, FSGRW and my customized UT2 AI Traffic. So, all this together with pretty high settings obviously still provokes an OOM on my build. Never had one since switching to P3D one year ago, but as I am now to 90% GA flying, it is not really surprising to me that the first proper Tubeliner-Flight for months ended up in an OOM now.

Lets see if this is an issue of the novel Aerosoft scenery, as I did not experience any OOM earlier this year when flying from Zurich v2 to Kopenhagen or Stockholm, or when flying from Athens to Zurich etc... Due to some other issues I am anyway looking for the update of Frankfurt V2...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, I guess it will be very difficult to find one in my install since the only add-ons I have are PMDG 777 and Carenado B1900d plus ASN...

But I think there are no miracles, and the limitations of 32 bit will always come to live when using heavy add-ons.

When planning to make long flights in the PMDG 777 I also set the autogen to minimums - it's not a factor for me having a lot of autogen when simulating a airline-type mission...

I also had my 1st OOM in EDDF V2 in P3D V3.2. But I could not reproduce it. That was with TextureMaxLoad=12 in the prepar3d.cfg. I removed the entry just to make sure it is not the cause.

It's been said many times before, unfortunately P3D v3 isn't a magic bullet, i got my first OOM in P3D v3 last week whilst landing at EGLC.  

I was able to avoid these by turning off the tertiary roads within Vector, don't know if that helps in your case.

Bring on 64-bit eh?

We have just forgotten that the 600-700mb of extra VAS in P3Dv3 still comes with limitations. :wink:

but we can crank up eyecandy for sure.

EDDFv2 is still new and we might see some improvement later down the road. But i agree EDDFv2 is a big VAS eater 

Michael Moe

• Upvote 2

I am sure that turning off additional things from Vector will do help regarding VAS usage, I will try to turn those settings further down. The reason I mentioned this issue here is because flying from ESSA to any other airport scenery so far did not result in an OOM, so it seems that EDDF is quiet heavy on VAS compared to other sceneries. And it might be a little chance that it is a bug which will be corrected with the next patch.

I had my first one in a long time recently too, Aerosoft EDDF-Fsdreamteam CYVR in the ifly 747, started hearing the chimes of doom an final approach and then oom after exiting the active runway.

I don't think eddf is to blame though as that should have been long unloaded from memory by the time I got to yvr. I usually switch orbx to global for flights like this to help avoid ooms due to PNW , but I forgot and left orbx set to north america, so I guess the combo of PNW, CYVR and the ifly 747 was just too much.

Guys, it's not P3D, it's MA EDDF. The worst VAS sucker in my P3D collection so far. 

• Upvote 1

I have made some tests during this weekend with new MAF involved and I must say that entire Central Germany region bleeds VAS as hell even without 3rd party LC/Terrain products. I have never paid attention to this until I got MAF and the only german airport that I used so far is T2G EDDM. Add UTX Europe or ORBX LC on the top of that and you'll get deadly recipe for OOM on final. 

I have made some tests during this weekend with new MAF involved and I must say that entire Central Germany region bleeds VAS as hell even without 3rd party LC/Terrain products. I have never paid attention to this until I got MAF and the only german airport that I used so far is T2G EDDM. Add UTX Europe or ORBX LC on the top of that and you'll get deadly recipe for OOM on final. 

I can not confirm this.  I did a flight from LEPA (AS) to EDDF (AS MA 2.0) with PMDGs NGX without any VAS problem. FTX Global, FTX LC EU, UTX 2 Europe and ASN were active. Only some (micro)stutters during approach.

I can not confirm this.  I did a flight from LEPA (AS) to EDDF (AS MA 2.0) with PMDGs NGX without any VAS problem. FTX Global, FTX LC EU, UTX 2 Europe and ASN were active. Only some (micro)stutters during approach.

What was your remaining VAS Value on the approach?

Did not check. But I have no FSUIPC "Ding ... Ding ...". I just repeated the approach (25L) with my "DEFAULT" Settings. Maybe important to add, weather was pretty nice (some days ago, with ASN historical settings), maybe 1/8-2/8 scattered with few dust/fog.

I would not say that I never had OOMs - NGX or T7 at KLAX or KSFO wit FTX NCA and SCA active I get them too until I reduce my settings to moderate-low.

Can someone measure the VAS at EDDF compared to, say, a nearby default airport?  I have been wanting to get it but now I'm a bit nervous.

I can nearly use Aerosofts EDDF v2 at night together with Night Environment in a heavy airplane (NGX, Airbus etc). Sitting at gate with GSX enabled eats up over 3.7 GB :Hmmmph:

How can you monitor VAS usage during a simulation?

I use Process Explorer and/or FSUIPC to monitor VAS. If you have a registered version of FSUIPC you can use this technique:

1. In Prepar3D open Add-ons – FSUIPC and select tab Logging.
  2. Check: IPC reads  in Log Details and FS Window (or FS Title Bar) in Display to
  3. Fill Offset = 024C and Type =32 in the Specific value checks
  4. Close with OK
  5. You can drag and resize the green FS Window bar as desired to any convenient place on the screen. Once configured in FSUIPC it will appear again at next start.

I can nearly use Aerosofts EDDF v2 at night together with Night Environment in a heavy airplane (NGX, Airbus etc). Sitting at gate with GSX enabled eats up over 3.7 GB :Hmmmph:

Do you turn your sliders down at night?

Do you turn your sliders down at night?

Yes I have drastically reduced or backed down sliders at night. To my surprise, it doesn't do that much in terms of VAS usage (only about 100 MB less setting LOD radius to normal and scenery complexity, autogen etc to normal as well, 1024k textures). FPS of course gets better, but that is also much connected with switching off cloud reflections, shadows, dynamic reflections etc. I don't need that at night!

Yes I have drastically reduced or backed down sliders at night. To my surprise, it doesn't do that much in terms of VAS usage (only about 100 MB less setting LOD radius to normal and scenery complexity, autogen etc to normal as well, 1024k textures). FPS of course gets better, but that is also much connected with switching off cloud reflections, shadows, dynamic reflections etc. I don't need that at night!

Wow, seems it might be hard to get a 777 in there.

Cannot confirm this either...

Just completed a flight from EKCH (FlyTampa) to EDDFv2... No OOM and no problems - some stutters during approach, but in general it performs very nice!

VAS remaining, during the flight, was steady on 1.400 MB. On approach and landing it dropped to approx 1.000 MB remaining... no problems...

Btw - addons and sim used was:

Prepar3D 3.2.2.16769

FTX Global

FTX OpenLC EU

REX Texture Direct

PMDG 737 NGX 1.10.6461.0

EZDok Camera system

15% AI Traffic using WoAI (so, not alot of traffic - but there were a couple of dozen AI's present at EDDF/EKCH)

(Can't remember anything else, relevant...?!)

Did a flight yesterday from T2G EDDM to the new Aerosoft EDDF in the NGX in Prepar3d v3.2. This was with ASN live weather, Orbx openLC EU and Orbx Vector. Landed in Frankfurt with 800 Mb free VAS.

Just completed a flight from EKCH (FlyTampa) to EDDFv2... No OOM and no problems - some stutters during approach, but in general it performs very nice!

VAS remaining, during the flight, was steady on 1.400 MB. On approach and landing it dropped to approx 1.000 MB remaining... no problems...

That's decent.  Are you running Orbx Vector or OpenLC?

Btw - addons and sim used was:

Prepar3D 3.2.2.16769

FTX Global

FTX OpenLC EU

REX Texture Direct

PMDG 737 NGX 1.10.6461.0

EZDok Camera system

15% AI Traffic using WoAI (so, not alot of traffic - but there were a couple of dozen AI's present at EDDF/EKCH)

(Can't remember anything else, relevant...?!)

Nice.  No Vector?

That's decent.  Are you running Orbx Vector or OpenLC?

Nice.  No Vector?

Nope!

Dislike like Vector, due to it's appearance in the sim... Don't like the vector graphics just cutting through the textures underneath (just me, maybe - but it's a trade-off I'm willing to accept.)

I was using ActiveSky Next SP5 (the beta version) as well ... Live weather! (quite nasty weather at EDDF upon landing)... 

I was using FTX Global and FTX OpenLC EU ... 

I have experienced an OOM in P3D v3.1......

Test circuit @ EGLC London City in the A2A Simulations Piper Cherokee 180 with absolutely everything enabled (all UK photoscenery, FTX Northern Ireland, FTX UK airfields, UK2000 Xtreme airports, UK2000 VFR Airfields packages, ES TreeScapes, all Earth Simulations scenery packages, FSX Power Project pylons and wind turbines, REX Essential Plus SP3, Ultimate Traffic 2 AI airliners @ 100%, and plenty of BGL driven AI planes), and 4xSGSS transparency supersampling.

Not exactly a surprise!