Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

3DMark11 Comparitive Samples and Analysis

Hi,

There are always questions and opinions as to what PC equipment combinations are best for flying Flight Simulation programs.

It is, in my opinion, a good idea for us to objectively evaluate the performance levels and characteristics of different equipment combinations on an ongoing basis. Since we seem to be splintering in multiple flight simulation platforms, operating systems and add-on programs, I suggest we look for objective middle ground that both tests raw performance, and stipulates specifications and settings

Therefore I suggest we use the free 3dMark11 Basic test program to compare CPU and GPU outcomes. Naturally, each system combination will produce differing results, even between identical machines. In addition, confounding all the math, FS can be a different kettle of fish than any other gaming/simulation grouping. That is why a free neutral program that removes all FS platform bias might be helpful.

So, that is why I suggest we utilize the free 3DMark 11 Basic Edition program which can be downloaded here:

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark11

Simply run the program on your flight computer and copy the URL link to the published results right here, in this thread.

The test itself will analysis your computer, systems, settings and performance. That way we can see the differences and compare the numbers. Readers Beware: How any computer actually performs with a flight simulation platform may sometimes be a different matter than what the numbers indicate, but having third part evaluation numbers may be a good place to start you thinking about draining your bank account once again... 

I hope you agree.

To kick this off, here are my numbers for the above test. You can click on the CPU and the GPU to see how each preformed:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11332093

3DMark11 Basic Edition Score: 12,493 - Graphics: 13422 - Physics: 10663 - Combined: 9,902

Kind regards,

Hi

If you use the graphics score as base.

Physics (only CPU ) is not good for the sim

CPU score approx.

6950x @ 4.3 21000

6700k @ 5.0. 13000

Amd 8350 @ 5.0 10000

6600k @ 5.0. 9500

2500k @ 5.0. 8500

If you have Money buy a 6950x or cheap buy a AMD FX 8350 , if Reading the 3dmark results

We all now thats not true the 6950x is not more then 50% faster than a 6700k in FSX or P3D

AMD 8350 is not faster than a 6600k or 2500k

Thanks Westman,

Your research and input has always been a welcome respected asset in this community. Good to see you!

Kind regards,

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Not very impressive here, but I'm getting great graphics and pretty darn smooth game play since I installed Steve's DX10 Fixer(best ever). Don't fly the complex planes, just Capt Sim, QW757 lite, default ac using default GPS navigation and flt planning. Also have FS Genesis, GEX, UTX, ASN, UT2, FSDT & Fly Tampa airports, GSX. FSX settings are pretty high as well.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11350740

Stephen -- so glad you are posting again. Always enjoyed your thoughtful, intelligent, knowledgeable, super polite posts from years back. Not a techie sort, but have been grateful for your insights and have learned quite a bit from you and all the other gurus here as well! I miss guys like Phil Taylor, Costa, Tech guy max, Nick N, Paul Johnson and many others who have disappeared. Thankfully we have Martin W, Westman(occasionally), Steve Parsons, Rob(P3D) Jim(moderator) and a few others stepping up. Thanks all!

Bruce

Stephen -- so glad you are posting again. Always enjoyed your thoughtful, intelligent, knowledgeable, super polite posts from years back. Not a techie sort, but have been grateful for your insights and have learned quite a bit from you and all the other gurus here as well! I miss guys like Phil Taylor, Costa, Tech guy max, Nick N, Paul Johnson and many others who have disappeared. Thankfully we have Martin W, Westman(occasionally), Steve Parsons, Rob(P3D) Jim(moderator) and a few others stepping up. Thanks all!

Bruce

Thank you Bruce,

How very kind of you! It is very good to see you and many other friends too. AVSIM is a piece of history, still relevant in the present and with a future as great as those who are willing to make it so.

Kind regards old friend,