Sign in to follow this  
Hawk60M

DC6 Sales

Supporting Xplane is great cause, neglecting the client base of FSX is not understandable, I went through many reviews to Xplane and I decide I will not buy it for now, so the question is why focusing on thousands of users and neglecting a confirmed profit form 10s of thousands of FSX customers? ..... I don't get it 

Basically PMDG are ignoring the FSX users by making them a 747v3. 

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Basically PMDG are ignoring the FSX users by making them a 747v3. 

Don't you mean v.2?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Don't you mean v.2?

Technically v3:

PMDG_744BCF_wing.jpg

V1: Original FS9 Version

V2: Re-done FSX Version

V3: Ground-up rebuild of today's standards.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

The following never cease to amaze me:

1) You guys will argue with one another over ANYTHING.  ("Oh look- lint!"  "No- it is fuzz."  "NO I SAID IT WAS LINT!"  etc.)

2) Some folks just make NO effort to educate themselves prior to offering completely uninformed conjecture.  We post our development agenda and thought process over and over...  Thank you to those who read it and try to disabuse the non-readers of their ignorance...

3) Some folks think our decision making is binary.  We are fairly sizable team- we don't work on a single project at a time...

There are other points- but i'm making myself grumpy just recounting them. 

• Upvote 10

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

The following never cease to amaze me:

1) You guys will argue with one another over ANYTHING.  ("Oh look- lint!"  "No- it is fuzz."  "NO I SAID IT WAS LINT!"  etc.)

2) Some folks just make NO effort to educate themselves prior to offering completely uninformed conjecture.  We post our development agenda and thought process over and over...  Thank you to those who read it and try to disabuse the non-readers of their ignorance...

3) Some folks think our decision making is binary.  We are fairly sizable team- we don't work on a single project at a time...

There are other points- but i'm making myself grumpy just recounting them. 

Hey, grumpy is good too.  It's healthy for old men to be grumpy. 

The DC6 is an amazing work in X-Plane.  I am gravitating more and more to X-Plane and the more that I use it, the more cozy and comfortable I become with it.

Of course I am still using the heck out of P3Dv.3.5, because of the greater variety of aircraft and beautiful scenery and airports available, but actually I am preferring the flight models of X-Plane now.

My advise to people getting frustrated with X-Plane's user interface, is to stay with it.  It will grow on you, especially with the great plug-ins available.  Just Google "essential plugins for X-Plane". The plugins that have been developed are what make it sooo nice.

I love night flying in X-Plane. It's breath taking. "X-Life" has made the airports come alive. Pilot2ATC gives outstanding ATC in X-Plane, along with a great moving map. FSGRW along with SkyMaxx makes great weather.

...I'm loving it.  :smile:

• Upvote 3

Pilot2ATC gives outstanding ATC in X-Plane, along with a great moving map

For X-Plane!!  Very good,  I didn't know that  

Supporting Xplane is great cause, neglecting the client base of FSX is not understandable, I went through many reviews to Xplane and I decide I will not buy it for now, so the question is why focusing on thousands of users and neglecting a confirmed profit form 10s of thousands of FSX customers? ..... I don't get it 

If you need a hug, I'm here for you.

Nice thread, I somehow totally missed the DC6 was teased in 2012 for FSX before being released to XP10 in 2016, and will be brought back to FSX/P3D by 2020 I presume?  Interesting.

Curious, as I don't own the DC6 simply because I can't fully commit to XP no matter how hard I try, you mention it is nothing compared to an A2A aircraft in Kyle's linked post.  I assume this still stands?  Their Connie does look sweet and is a day one buy.

Look forward to the ported P3D version of your 6.

• Upvote 1

For X-Plane!!  Very good,  I didn't know that  

Yes!  Pilot2ATC works really good for X-Plane.  It is voice controlled, and using IVONA voices, sounds close to real ATC. It does a pretty good job of understand what you say to it.

It comes with a flight planner that has AIRACS with SIDS and STARS, that can be updated through NavDataPro.

It also can help control your radios by showing the frequencies that you need and when you click on them they go to your standby frequency window, which is handy.

The moving map is excellent. It shows actual Earth textures, like Google Earth, both hi and lo altitude sectionals and a street map.  All with your flight plan.

It can also be set up for ATC chatter.

I believe it is very good for practicing to use PilotEdge. I believe it is well worth the price.

Curious, as I don't own the DC6 simply because I can't fully commit to XP no matter how hard I try, you mention it is nothing compared to an A2A aircraft in Kyle's linked post.  I assume this still stands?  Their Connie does look sweet and is a day one buy.

It ended up quite a bit closer to what A2A does in the end versus what RSR had originally said about it - we added a maintenance pop-up for dealing with the effects of engine damage (both MP overboost and high CHT), oil level, water level for the injection system and stuff like that. Treating the engines badly, ignoring icing and so on will negatively affect the airplane.

We're all very much looking forward to A2A's Connie here too - that's going to be an amazing product for sure.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

When, exactly did we say that we were only releasing the DC-6 for X-Plane?

If you look - even casually - at the majority of our posts about the DC-6, you'll note that we have been quite clear about its movement back into FSX and P3D after the XPL release gets situated.

Heck, look at the first shots of the DC-6 that we ever made public and compare them to FSX and XPL...which sim were those pictures taken in?

http://www.avsim.com/topic/361760-secret-project-1-this-one-is-a-classic/

Hello Kyle 

I follow each and every post on PMDG forum for so many years I stopped counting, I didn't say that you will not release for FSX ??? I meant why Xplane first? I am sure you guys must have a a good reason for that.....And as a customer I cant do anything about it except to wait for FSX release hopefully soon......

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

I follow each and every post on PMDG forum for so many years I stopped counting, I didn't say that you will not release for FSX ???

I must've mis-read it, then.

I meant why Xplane first?

The whole purpose of the project was to use it as a method to learn about X-Plane. If you're learning a program/technique, you start from scratch. Doing an FSX version would cloud the process.

As an example, if you're going to learn a programming language like C++, it's best to learn from the ground up instead of learning specifically how to change existing code. Sure, knowledge of other languages will help with generic programming concepts, but again, you don't want to "pollute" your learning of one language by learning how to convert code instead of how to write it the way it should be written.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I must've mis-read it, then.

The whole purpose of the project was to use it as a method to learn about X-Plane. If you're learning a program/technique, you start from scratch. Doing an FSX version would cloud the process.

As an example, if you're going to learn a programming language like C++, it's best to learn from the ground up instead of learning specifically how to change existing code. Sure, knowledge of other languages will help with generic programming concepts, but again, you don't want to "pollute" your learning of one language by learning how to convert code instead of how to write it the way it should be written.

Thank you Kyle that was very informative ......Wishing you guys the best of luck  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Currently XP10 is still very user unfriendly and needs a lot of work, but I think it has fantastic potential going forward - much better than P3D especially if you like to fly heavy metal. I suggest everyone who's interested to have a look at the X-Plane presentation video at the recent Flightsimcon event. IMO They're moving in the correct direction in terms of development and XP11 will be spectacular, and I'm glad that the likes of PMDG are on board.

Advantages:

- Native 64-bit. No more VAS issues. If P3D (inevitably) goes 64-bit it will break most existing addons.

- Very GPU dependent. This is fantastic as graphics card performance increases by around 30% with each new generation. Imagine every year or two you get a significant boost in performance.

- Continuously updated - and new features and content are added for free. XP 10.50 will be a significant upgrade

- Complex aircraft like the PMDG and IXEG flies surprisingly well, XP10 is a very good platform for complex aircraft.

- Tons of freeware addon scenery, and high quality freeware scenery is easy to create with WED and common scenery libraries.

- Night lighting is miles ahead of FSX and P3D. Street lights look great from the air, and airport lighting (and aircraft/vehicle lighting) reflects off the surface of the aircraft.

- Clouds can look quite nice, but like FSX/P3D it needs addons like SkyMaxx to bring out its full potential. REX could work some magic there.

- You can buy XP10 off Steam. You can't with P3D. Steam is the dominant marketplace for PC gaming.

Disadvantages:

- Currently the menus and UI are horrid, for an FSX user it takes about 2-3 weeks to get the hang of it and find out which essential addons (XPUIPC, Python, FlywithLUA etc) you need. Once you do it's no different from FSX/P3D, apart from a few inconveniences. XP11 will greatly improve the UI experience. XP 10.50 will include scroll wheel support for turning knobs.

- Real world weather is not exactly usable out of the box. NOAA plugin is a bit meh, but FSGRW works for XP10. I would like REX/HiFi to have a look at XP10.

- Landclass variety is worse, but with HD Mesh V3 + OpenStreetMap data it really shines.

- No landmarks out of the box.

- Graphics look incredibly dull with very poor shaders. You need RealTerraHaze and a good preset to make it work, and even that is worse than FSX/P3D. XP10 needs a good ENB mod and iCEnhancer-style shader mods.

- VRAM is the primary limiting factor, but the current Nvidia 10XX series have 8GBs of VRAM, which is more than enough. Future cards may have 16GBs of VRAM.

- Water textures and blending are very poor. The 10 year old FSX manages to look better than XP10.

- Some of the more basic aircraft flies a bit odd, due to how XP10 calculates flight dynamics.

- Default ATC is broken. Don't use it.

- AI traffic is also broken, but JARDesign's X-Life seems to be turning into the Ultimate Traffic of XP10. IIRC XP 10.50 will include some sort of smart AI aircraft simulation.

- Addons are pricier compared to FSX/P3D. You pay more and you get less.

- Time Compression is not as useful, as it can be as slow as 1.5x. 3x is about the maximum. I wouldn't recommend increasing Groundspeed instead as time-based calculations go out the window.

I can definitely imagine how XP10/XP11 can become the successor to FSX, rather than P3D. This is especially true for flying airliners into crowded airports where framerates, VAS and VRAM become important issues. A 30% increase in graphics performance with every hardware generation is incredibly important.

Currently XP10 is still very user unfriendly and needs a lot of work, but I think it has fantastic potential going forward - much better than P3D especially if you like to fly heavy metal. I suggest everyone who's interested to have a look at the X-Plane presentation video at the recent Flightsimcon event. IMO They're moving in the correct direction in terms of development and XP11 will be spectacular, and I'm glad that the likes of PMDG are on board.

Advantages:

- Native 64-bit. No more VAS issues. If P3D (inevitably) goes 64-bit it will break most existing addons.

- Very GPU dependent. This is fantastic as graphics card performance increases by around 30% with each new generation. Imagine every year or two you get a significant boost in performance.

- Continuously updated - and new features and content are added for free. XP 10.50 will be a significant upgrade

- Complex aircraft like the PMDG and IXEG flies surprisingly well, XP10 is a very good platform for complex aircraft.

- Tons of freeware addon scenery, and high quality freeware scenery is easy to create with WED and common scenery libraries.

- Night lighting is miles ahead of FSX and P3D. Street lights look great from the air, and airport lighting (and aircraft/vehicle lighting) reflects off the surface of the aircraft.

- Clouds can look quite nice, but like FSX/P3D it needs addons like SkyMaxx to bring out its full potential. REX could work some magic there.

- You can buy XP10 off Steam. You can't with P3D. Steam is the dominant marketplace for PC gaming.

Disadvantages:

- Currently the menus and UI are horrid, for an FSX user it takes about 2-3 weeks to get the hang of it and find out which essential addons (XPUIPC, Python, FlywithLUA etc) you need. Once you do it's no different from FSX/P3D, apart from a few inconveniences. XP11 will greatly improve the UI experience. XP 10.50 will include scroll wheel support for turning knobs.

- Real world weather is not exactly usable out of the box. NOAA plugin is a bit meh, but FSGRW works for XP10. I would like REX/HiFi to have a look at XP10.

- Landclass variety is worse, but with HD Mesh V3 + OpenStreetMap data it really shines.

- No landmarks out of the box.

- Graphics look incredibly dull with very poor shaders. You need RealTerraHaze and a good preset to make it work, and even that is worse than FSX/P3D. XP10 needs a good ENB mod and iCEnhancer-style shader mods.

- VRAM is the primary limiting factor, but the current Nvidia 10XX series have 8GBs of VRAM, which is more than enough. Future cards may have 16GBs of VRAM.

- Water textures and blending are very poor. The 10 year old FSX manages to look better than XP10.

- Some of the more basic aircraft flies a bit odd, due to how XP10 calculates flight dynamics.

- Default ATC is broken. Don't use it.

- AI traffic is also broken, but JARDesign's X-Life seems to be turning into the Ultimate Traffic of XP10. IIRC XP 10.50 will include some sort of smart AI aircraft simulation.

- Addons are pricier compared to FSX/P3D. You pay more and you get less.

- Time Compression is not as useful, as it can be as slow as 1.5x. 3x is about the maximum. I wouldn't recommend increasing Groundspeed instead as time-based calculations go out the window.

I can definitely imagine how XP10/XP11 can become the successor to FSX, rather than P3D. This is especially true for flying airliners into crowded airports where framerates, VAS and VRAM become important issues. A 30% increase in graphics performance with every hardware generation is incredibly important.

Very informative post Iain. I agree with about 90 percent of what you stated. I have learned to respect x-plane after a few weeks of using it.

If you are a FSX/p3d user give x-plane a try and after a few weeks you will see the potential the sim has to offer...my $ .02