Sign in to follow this  
barrel_owl

Phenom 100 update 2.0 out, now with Navigraph extension option

refund or another Carenado plane for free

Yep. Exactly the same for me. I now have the B1900 for free. Such a shame. I really wanted the Phenom to be as fantastic as it looks. I contemplated getting my money back, but I'd still rather them stay in business and giving me another aircraft for free doesn't cost them anything and they get to keep the ££.

Philip Harris

So from an FSX (boxed) viewpoint.

I have to say I'm dissapointed right now although wanting to still give it more of a shot.

No install issues, nor on ground issues but overall I really don't understand whats' happened to the faithful v1.0 I had. Knobs seem to be on a go slow to rotate. Jerkiness and lag all over the place, AP dash has changed to include FLC now which for the life of me I can't  seem to work. Speed hold has also changed and doesn't seem to cooperate, I've had issues with FD too.

Unfortunately all of this is rather generic and I can't seem to find commonality, unless its the idiot flying it of course.

I'll be honest, I'm going to give another few goes and then if no improvement, uninstall and put v1.0 back in, which I rather liked for what it was.

Blue skies all. :smile:

As I indicated above and others like Ed Patino above, the aircraft works.  It's just not working the way YOU want it to work.  As I stated above, if you look at any FS Mania or other videos regarding the Phenom 100, they have all of the things working well except they know there are issues with Carenado products (so stated in the videos).  FS Mania did use the alternate method of changing the FL and that's using the Alt and VS.  I do not know of any aircraft add-on that works with perfection with every feature working properly.  PMDG might be the closest to simulating a real time experience.  Flight simulation is a different animal than the real thing but it gets to "as close to real as you can get".  To continue to bash a product is not productive.  You can pass the bugs YOU found to the developer and that's about it.  If the developer wants to fix them, fine but if not, I'm not going to get too upset as the aircraft IS flyable with most features working as they should.  Perhaps in the distant future, the problems will be fixed or the developer will figure out how to fix them. It's still a pretty neat model with some awesome textures.

If I were you, I would take up the offer and get a refund.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sorry Jim. I wasn't meaning to bash the product just give an alternate view as this thread had sort of gone off topic a little for me.

When you say the FSMania videos, everything is working well, they are all based on v1.0. And I agree, great.

I've had another try tonight and narrowed things down.

It was a better, more stable flight but Alt Selector only increments / decrements in thousands of feet.. 3100, 4100, 5100. Speed I can't get to work at all and finally Course selector likewise doesn't appear to work. Is it just me? :fool:

I didn't pay for my upgrade as a previous customer, so refund not an option, but I think you're right, I'll try to give feedback of course.

Cheers all

It was a better, more stable flight but Alt Selector only increments / decrements in thousands of feet.. 3100, 4100, 5100. Speed I can't get to work at all and finally Course selector likewise doesn't appear to work. Is it just me?

If you right click the ALT, it will change to increments/decrements in hundreds of feet.  The ALT button on the AP Control Unit is used to Hold.  If you want to go to a certain altitude, you should open up the FPL and enter the altitudes there (see page 7, Navigraph G1000).  Once entered, the G1000 will automatically get to that altitude.  Of course, you can also use the VS button on the AP unit to get up and down to a certain altitude in VNAV mode.  This is what I usually do.  I'm still learning...

I manually handle the speed but it should work by turning the SPD SEL on the AP Control unit.

The Course selector only works when in VOR mode.  Pressing the CRS1 knob centers the CDI on the currently selected VOR.  

Again, I use many of the tutorial YouTube videos to learn many of the functions.  If I have a problem with a certain function, I'll search for a tutorial that will show me.

Your questions are what these forums are all about - user to user interactions.  We have some experts who know how to work certain functions and they will usually chime in if they know how a certain function works (or does not work).  The manuals provided by Carenado are limited but at least tell you the function of each button in the AP control unit and there's a very good tutorial for programming a flight (which works). 

I still have much to learn but this is what I call "fun" in this hobby.  Some like to learn how to tweak their computer and sim to get FSX or P3D or X-Plane to work w/o getting the "blurries", "stuttering", "low fps", etc.  That too is full of challenges.  So too, learning how to operate the G1000 is full of challenges and some can get very frustrating when they don't seem to work properly.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

That's a great reply back. Thank you.

Interesting that you've told me stuff I didn't know as my comparisons were from using the G1000 and AP in v1.0 and all seemed well. But you've made me realise I think I need to stick my head back in the books.

Many thanks.

Nige

Thanks Nige for the kind comments.  I need to check the books too and every time I watch one of the tutorial videos I see something else that I didn't know or need to check out!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Well, I basically agree with you, that's how I treated this bird back in the FSX days. Never tried it in P3D until that update v2.0 was released and now I have the mentioned issues. The plane is NOT working for me, I explained that to the support in every detail and all I get is a free other aircraft. As I said, they are not even forced to do this, so it is a great gift from Carenado, but telling me "get another one for free" instead of explaining me how I can get my plane to work simply tells me: Carenado knows the plane is broken and they are not willing to fix it or to even give support. Now, you can accept this fact rather naivly as you said or you can be upset. Just imagine, it would not be a Flightsim addon but any other piece of software. Just imagine, Microsoft offers you Excel instead of Word, if you tell their support that Word is not working on your machine. Or, you buy a car and when it is not working, you simply get another one. Sure you can do this, but basically this is not what you want, no? I did buy the Phenom because I wanted to use exactly this plane, not the other one I got for free now (although it is nice, this is for sure). In my case:

- that cold and dark setup does not work at all. I can not turn on the middle MFD, I can not turn on the backup horizon and even the horizon in the main MFD does not work

- if I select "ready for taxi", almost everything works as intended, just the horizon on the main MFD still does not work

Those two things are NOT MINOR bugs, they are basically rendering the plane useless. And YES, there ARE addons that work almost without any issue. If you now start to compare a Carenado plane with PMDG or Aerosofts Airbus, this is simply ridiculous. Sure, also PMDG and Aerosoft some things still are buggy, but those addons are WAAAAY more complex and if there is a bug, it is INDEED a minor one. If for example in the Aerosoft Airbus the backup of the backup electrical system does not work exactly how it should, this is an issue for all those experts, but not for the general crowd. If there is a small bug with the selection on the FMS inside a PMDG plane, this might be annoying but again it is a minor thing. However, the Phenom 100 is absolutely useless with those bugs.

Personally, I think we should finally get over this naive attitude in regard of Flightsim Addons. This is now a huge market and companies like Carenado earn their money with it. Over are those days where a freeware developer must be supported in any case, even if he releases a buggy plane. I do not see any point why we should continue to treat developers like Carenado the way we treated freeware developers back in the days simply because of the fear that they stop producing addons. This is definitely over. Carenado sells a product, I pay solid money for it and if their product is not working, they deserve the critics. Every single piece of it. Of course no bashing, but that's a different story.

• Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

This has to be told: I contacted directly the Carenado support explaining the issues I have with the Phenom 100 v2.0 in Prepar3d v3. I explained what I have written above plus the fact that the artificial horizon on the main MFD also does not work at all even when using the preselection "ready for taxi". And guess what was the answer from the official support? They apologize the inconvenience and simply offer me a refund or another Carenado plane for free. Well, while you can think that this is a nice offer (which it is), it is in the end simply a showcase how Carenado is supporting their own products. Instead of offering me possible workarounds or tell me I have to wait for the next patch, they simply do not care anymore about this specific product and offer another one or a full refund. For me, this is indicative of one thing: the Embraer Phenom 100 product is broken and won't be fixed anytime soon. So, if your Phenom 100 is also not working, I suggest that you open a support ticket and get your plane refunded or simply get another one for free.

I tried that earlier this week--requested an aircraft in trade for one of the same price, but no response regarding that request yet. I didn't realize others have been doing the same--with success. I already own nearly a full stable of X-Plane aircraft from Alabeo & Carenado, so I'm hoping they oblige my FSX request.

The Course selector only works when in VOR mode.  Pressing the CRS1 knob centers the CDI on the currently selected VOR.  

Been looking for this all day. All dials move and change on the displays apart from the CRS. The knob lights up and turns but the CRS does not change on the PFD - Is this normal behaviour? 

With thanks

Been looking for this all day. All dials move and change on the displays apart from the CRS. The knob lights up and turns but the CRS does not change on the PFD - Is this normal behaviour? 

With thanks

If you are on the selected VOR (for instance, heading 125), pressing the CRS1 knob will set the course to heading 125 automatically.  What would be the purpose of turning the knob?  The VOR and CRS should be the same.  More info on VOR NAV at http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

If you are on the selected VOR (for instance, heading 125), pressing the CRS1 knob will set the course to heading 125 automatically.  What would be the purpose of turning the knob?  The VOR and CRS should be the same.  More info on VOR NAV at http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm

Best regards,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge Jim :) I have just picked up this aircraft, which looks amazing I must add, so I'm at the very beginning as far as learning goes. Just wanted to find out if there was anything wrong with it before putting time in to it. Really hope its not as bad (autopilot) as some people make out  

I thought it may have reacted like the CRS selector in the PMDG 737/777 - for selecting the CRS when setting up ILS landings in the said aircraft 

Thanks for your reply, its appreciated 

Please excuse my lack of knowledge :) 

I thought it may have reacted like the CRS selector in the PMDG 737/777 - for selecting the CRS when setting up ILS landings in the said aircraft 

Flight Management Systems in the heavies are much different and I like them better but learning the G1000 is fun too.  I had lots of fun learning how to set up FMC's in the heavies and now enjoy using other AP systems in smaller aircraft.  The FMS's in heavies (i.e., PMDG 737NGX, 777, and 747) are not perfect too and not programmed in the same way as in the real world.  Compromises had to be made but they are still as close to reality as possible.  I have always complained (since heavies like the 777, 767, and 757 were introduced to flight simulation) that the pilot does not do everything setting up a flight but we are all left with that responsibility as Pilots in Command.  Programs like ProATC-X and FS Crew have helped as you can now get your co-pilot involved and he will program and handle much of the flight (as it is in real world).  But still it is not exactly what happens in real life.  In PMDG aircraft, the performance page of the FMC is pretty much automatically computed w/o our intervention so that the aircraft will fly properly and you will enjoy the sim.  We have experts here in our AVSIM membership who see issues with the Carenado G1000/Prodigy1000.  They are most likely right about the autopilot systems in the Carenado Phenom 100 and 300 aircraft.  It does not deter my satisfaction with the Phenom 300 though (I do not own the Phenom 100).  As indicated in these forums there are Phenom 100 and Phenom 300 video tutorials that were produced by experts and they had no problems with setting up the systems.  Still, as even the experts who produced the tutorials, the autopilot and G1000 programming is not perfect.  One wants perfection and it is not within these products.  There are bugs but there are ways to get around those bugs.  I'm not a real world pilot so I do not see the bugs like the experts see them so you must go with what the experts are saying and not someone, like me, who is simply learning.  It is possible that both aircraft will be updated and the bugs fixed so, if you are suspicious of the accuracy of these systems, then I would suggest not purchasing the aircraft until the "bugs" have been fixed.  Still it is fun to see how the experts who produced the video tutorials set up the aircrafts and were able to take off and land on a glidepath with no problems using the G1000/Prodigy1000 in these aircraft.  I figure, they can do it, so can I.  I do like the Embracer models and they were produced with perfection (in my eyes) by Carenado.  It's just the internals that might need some additional work.  Maybe the bugs can be fixed in FSX/P3D, maybe not as it is difficult to make gauges and aircraft to work perfectly in flight simulation programs.

I hope you stay tuned and hopefully (my fingers still crossed since last year) the products will be updated.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Flight Management Systems in the heavies are much different and I like them better but learning the G1000 is fun too.  I had lots of fun learning how to set up FMC's in the heavies and now enjoy using other AP systems in smaller aircraft.  The FMS's in heavies (i.e., PMDG 737NGX, 777, and 747) are not perfect too and not programmed in the same way as in the real world.  Compromises had to be made but they are still as close to reality as possible.  I have always complained since heavies like the 777, 767, and 757 were introduced to flight simulation that the pilot does not do everything setting up a flight but we are all left with that responsibility as Pilots in Command.  Programs like ProATC-X and FS Crew have helped as you can now get your co-pilot involved and he will program and handle much of the flight (as it is in real world).  But still it is not exactly what happens in real life.  In PMDG aircraft, the performance page of the FMC is pretty much automatically computed w/o our intervention so that the aircraft will fly properly and you will enjoy the sim.  We have experts here in our AVSIM membership who see issues with the Carenado G1000/Prodigy100.  They are most likely right about the autopilot systems in the Carenado Phenom 100 and 300 aircraft.  It does not deter my satisfaction with the Phenom 300 (I do not own the Phenom 100).  As indicated in these forums there are Phenom 100 and Phenom 300 video tutorials that were produced by experts and they had no problems with setting up the systems.  Still, as even the experts who produced the tutorials, the autopilot and G1000 programming is not perfect.  One wants perfection and it is not within these products.  There are bugs but there are ways to get around those bugs.  I'm not a real world pilot so I do not see the bugs like the experts see them so you must go with what the experts are saying and not someone, like me, who is simply learning.  It is possible that both aircraft will be updated and the bugs fixed so, if you are suspicious of the accuracy of these systems, then I would suggest not purchasing the aircraft until the "bugs" have been fixed.  Still it is fun to see how the experts who produced the video tutorials set up the aircrafts and were able to take off and land on a glidepath with no problems using the G1000/Prodigy1000 in these aircraft.  I figure, they can do it, so can I.  I do like the Embracer models and they were produced with perfection (in my eyes) by Carenado.  It's just the internals that might need some additional work.  Maybe the bugs can be fixed in FSX/P3D, maybe not as it is difficult to make gauges and aircraft to work perfectly in flight simulation programs.

I hope you stay tuned and hopefully (my fingers still crossed since last year) the products will be updated.

Best regards,

Jim

Thank you for the detailed write up Jim :) 

I fully agree and understand what you say. From what I read it was made out that the Phenom was un-usable due to the auto pilot, that'll teach me to listen and believe everything I read hey? lol 

I am aware the PMDG 737/777 are hardly real world yet I have no issues getting them to do exactly what they are intended to do 

Thanks again, look forward to learning this amazing looking aircraft. 

no visual improvements?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU